Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Silat

Hybrid View

SevenStar Guest

silat

A friend of mine is shipping off to boot camp monday, and I went to training with him today. It was cool - 1.5 mile run, pullups, etc. Anyway, I wore a t shirt that said "chinese kuoshu" and during a break, one of the guys came up to me and asked if I was into MA. I told him that I was and he told me that he had been training in silat (the style starts with a 'B', can't remember what it was) closed door with a guro here for the past 11 months. He invited me to drop by sometime, so I'm going to check it out.

"Just because I joke around sometimes doesn't mean I'm serious about kung-fu.
    " - nightair

Johnny Hot Shot Guest

Cool Man

Sounds like fun. Is that Indonesian Knife fighting?

"Who's your Daddy?"
    Rowdy McNasty

Stranger Guest
    I believe, if the school is any good, you'll walk away very impressed. I've seen some fierce fighting skills in silat and among its practitioners. One of my old sparring partners who trained silat used to inflict heavy pain upon us. It is slick and quick when done right.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Stranger Guest
    It is both an armed and unarmed approach to fighting. Silat can be Indonesian, Malaysian, or Filipino and there are thousands of styles (silat is about as broad a term as kung fu).

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

SevenStar Guest
    yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I've heard some good thing about silat and seen some pentjak applications, and it looks like some nasty stuff.

" - nightair

Water Dragon Guest
    Bando???

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Stranger Guest
    Waterdragon,

I think bando is only from Burma. It has quite a rep for being combat effective, but I have never met a bando practitioner. I don't know if there is or isn't a link between bando and silat

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Sihing73 Guest

B=????

Hello,

Silat with a B could be a few different things. As already mentioned Silat is about a broad a term as Kung Fu or Karate. Some forms resemble Karate and some are more fluid resembling the vastness of Kung Fu. Thousands of islands to choose from. Silate seems to equate fighting. There are forms of Silat which incorporate animal systems as well as some that resemble some of the Internal Arts such as Pakua/Bagwa and Tai Chi.

Anyhow for a B you might see if it is Bersia Silat although my spelling could be off.

Peace,

Dave

SevenStar Guest
    Nah, Bando is Burmese. I have an article about it in an issue of Inside Karate from like 1996, but I don't think it's tied to silat.

I called the guy that I mentioned, and he told me that his teacher knew me. I was like "wtf?" and he said that we had a long talk one night that he was invited to my school, which immediately let me know who it was, and he's definitely legit. He is a friend of my sifu's son, which is how he got invited to our school. Stranger, you're right, he is impressive. He's also proficient in an african MA also. The guy said that as soon as he told his teacher my name, the teacher said to give me his number the next time we talked.

I think it's time to learn some silat :cool: I talked to the guy before I read this post, so I still don't know the name of the style, but I'll post it when I find out.

" - nightair

Braden Guest
    Silat is cool shiznit.

Bukti Negara, perhaps?

SevenStar Guest
    you hit the nail on the head. I just got off the phone with him - we talked for **** near 3 hours. it is the bukti negara system. His teacher trained directly under Paul de Thouars. If all goes well, we're going to train together tomorrow afternoon - well, this afternoon since it's after midnight.

" - nightair

diego Guest

sevenstar whats the meaning behind your name

and the best song for traingn is KOOL G RAP/CARS,FROM ROAD TO THE RICHES'91 marley prod.
    UNO

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

diego Guest

and if you try to touch his by a pit youll get bit

indope CARS/dunanuna da dunanuna du DOPE cars.dana
    who does the original
    that 80s glampop!

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

Stranger Guest
    DeThours is about as legit as they come. My friend was a student of a DeThours rep and he was real impressive. You are fortunate.

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.

Stranger Guest
    diego,

I think Randy Neuman sang the original "In Cars".

I don't get mad.
    I get stabby.