Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Silat

Rolling Elbow,

Jerry can certainly give you a more qualified response, but from having seen both the book and video by that name, I would qualify it as good to excellent material, especially for the beginner to intermediate level martial artist. One of Bob's strengths is communicating the "why's" of what he's doing in simple straightforward terms that appeal to common sense. A lot of what I saw was very similar to material I know from Baguazhang and Kali, and I found his teaching style to be very "user friendly", especially to the Western mind.

For my money, the SE Asian arts are some of the most combat-viable and eminently practical systems of combat to be found anywhere. There's not a lot of pretense, irrelevant formality or decorative ceremonial ritual. The learning curves are among the shortest of any martial arts, being designed such that what you learn today, you can use on the way home.

As I said before, Jerry can give you a better take on Bob Orlando specifically, but I would have no reservations in giving my recommendation to someone considering studying Kuntao or Pentjak Silat. Really good stuff.

Hey

Yes, I've heard of Bob Orlando. I do not personally have any of his material, and have never interacted with the man. So let me be as helpful as I can manage and point you at some other people's posts on the subject (posts chosen based on describing the book and being from a source of some repute).

Tuan Randall Goodwin
    Chas Clemets

Sorry, I'm having trouble with something resembeling an actual review. Apparently Bob is (or was) a student of uncle Bill (Williem DeTahures) who I do have personal experiene with and respect as a fighter and martial artist. Apparently there is also some bad-blood between many of the students involved (hardly news). That said...

The information I can find says the book sis definately useful to the novice, or at least someone unfamilar with Silat. Several of the people involved found it overly basic and not focused engouh; the people I refer to hae definate martial and Silat skills, but I make no claims as to their Bias or skill as critics.

Tell me what you think if it if you get it!
    http://www.clearsilat.com

I liked the book more than others I know. Bob Orlando's KunTao definitly carries a strong Kenpo 'flavor' - which makes sense considering his history. The book is an interesting, and well organized look at Dutch-Indo material. It is definitely interpretive -Orlando sees things through his Kenpo background. The straight KunTao players look different - those are the guys I know. I think Orlando tries hard to communicate a difficult subject in an easy to understand format. He does pretty good for a guy offering his own interpretation of KunTao Silat.

In addition to his book, I'd check out www.serak.com and pick up "the tsunami' -- Victor DeThouras text.

I also reccomend the videos by Steven Plinck and Steve Gartin from Paladin Press.

Good luck!
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

WingMan

Seems like a cool game!!!

I was emailed and asked to relay this...

but you can relay to Rolling Elbow my recommendation for Bob Orlando's silat video Paladin Press). It's concept-driven (although it has plenty of techniques) and it's also longer than many MA videos. (Paladin also produced an EXCELLENT silat video by Stevan Plinck. See http://home.att.net/~erik.mann/sppps.htm.)
    Rolling, if you are looking for a video, I'd probibly recommend ours (suprise there huh?) drop me an email about it if you want information.

I have to say, however, that my real-life exposure to Indonesian arts is limited to only a few months of study from the Wetzel/Niggel lineage (good stuff!) and to a one-day seminar by Victor de Thouars (good stuff!).
    I thought the witers exposure to the art might be important to you in determining how to weight the review.
    http://www.clearsilat.com

Angry Hardcore! Online Silat Training

Rimah Combat Arts Group

www.mubai.cc/online.htm

Come and see a FREE FULL LENGTH ONLINE KNIFE COMBAT LESSON directly viewed in your home via HIGH QUALITY video instruction. Learn to fight with knives, sticks, unarmed, improvised weapons and more. Our Online School is the BEST place to find video lessons in the Silat Arts. Come and explore the deadly Arts of Silat Mubai and Silat Zulfikari today.

www.mubai.cc/online.htm

Muslim Silat site(s), info

Great site on the deadly arts of Muslim Silat.
    http://www.mubai.cc/home.htm

Some great videos, showing the brutality & effectiveness of Silat.

Empty-hand fight
    Empty-hand transition to knife
    Counter knife ambush
    & the best one: owning, lock, choke, badmouthing & biyyach-slappin application

More coming up.

Thumbs up

awsome
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Thumbs up

vid pusha fo shizzle
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I wonder why this one has not got more replies.

Deserves it

Thumbs up

u should post more vids then

Cool,

I take Silat Seni Gayong which is a Malay style of silat though you can be any religon or nonreligon to practice. Religon is not stressed in my group at all even though it comes from a deep historical Muslim background.

Totally nasty and brutal style to say the least.

Here is a small engilsh website on some info on the system. This website is not from my group but you can find mine in the links under Gayong Amerika.

www.extremesilat.com
    Regards

Great site, BJ!

thanks

It looks much different than the DeThouars lineage silat I have seen.
    Monkey vs. Robot

I trained for a while with a guy who had practiced Silat for some years. Can't remember the exact branch/style. He had crazy strong low round kicks, he would sweep both feet out from underneath someone foolish enough to slip into a narrow stance.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on the list.

www.curious3d.com