Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Silat

I just thought it was really impressive that he could maintain his spinal alignment moving so low like that. Most guys arch thier backs because they don't have the ability to keep the integrity when the stances get really deep.

Quote Originally Posted by bakxierboxer View Post
    The fellow was impressive.... looked rather good.
    That said, if you couldn't tell what he was doing.....
    Those arts are NOT "the same" as a stand-up TCMA, northern or southern.
    Can you enlighten us as to what sort of thing he was doing?

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    it doesn't look there could be any applications in there... maybe. couldn't watch the whole thing, too boring.

it doesn't look there could be any applications in there... maybe. couldn't watch the whole thing, too boring.

Reply]
    Well of COURSE not!! It's not being done in the octagon after cross training in BJJ.....

general comments

xcakid -
    Can't really appreciate a form unless I know application. Otherwise its just all fancy hand waving. But that's just me.
    The "typical" pentjak/silat arts attempt to mimic someone's "impression" of an animal... possibly tiger here.
    I saw little in the way of direct applications, but as an exercise to develope overall agility, flexibility and mobility.....?

RD -
    I just thought it was really impressive that he could maintain his spinal alignment moving so low like that. Most guys arch thier backs because they don't have the ability to keep the integrity when the stances get really deep.
    I didn't see any particular "spinal alignment" in anything he did.

The Xia -
    Probably shouldn't do that.... it might require that they come out and kill us all.

street_fighter -
    Probable agreement... seems best as an exercise for attributes that could be of use in some circumstances.

i can see some of the applications and how it would be used. but like most people looking at kung fu forms it looked like a guy wandering around doing things.

there was a nice takedown in there at 14/15 seconds into it. he rotates his arms wide. at least thats what i saw.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 11-20-2007 at 11:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post

Reply]
    Well of COURSE not!! It's not being done in the octagon after cross training in BJJ.....
    i didn't say any of that, and im pretty sure ive never said that; in fact i believe i included "maybe". i just don't see any apps in there aside from the very abstract. don't see the point in forms like that. i really only appreciate forms where theres actual power generation and at least some resemblence to how it can be applied in fighting. but thats just me with my little understanding of things thus far...

Reply]
    Because you are blind.

alignment

Quote Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A View Post

Reply]
    Because you are blind.
    My vision is corrected to 20/25.
    OTOH, that has nothing to do with the fact that "alignment" refers to things being placed in or held in a straight line.
    There was NO point at which this persons spine was straight.

You could be "legally blind" and STILL see that his spine not straight.

i just want to say this before i never waste my time with this form silat is one of the most effective arts that can realy be used and you have people saying the dont see anything in it .like some one sayed before if they dont see it in the ring its no good .those are the people that live in a dream world .i have the oppertunity to meet and train with silat .hsing.kuntao and bagua teachers and they would put those guys that fight in the ring to shame so realy think what you say

There are a few crazy clips like this floating round youtube like this...very cool..

Now here is some body conditioning silat style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BQtbW0UIQ
    Last edited by Blacktiger; 03-01-2011 at 07:03 PM.

This just in...

...from the SEA Games.

There are a lot more silat vids available on this Sport Singapore channel

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Pencak Silat protest

Does anyone know if Pencak Silat is represented in any other major international games beyond the Asians?

27 August 2018 - 17H40
    Malaysian athlete alleges bias after heated martial arts battle

© AFP/File | Malaysia's Mohd Al-Jufferi Jamari, the 2016 world champion, stormed out the arena and punched a hole in the wall of the warm-up area

JAKARTA (AFP) -
    A Malaysian athlete accused judges of bias and stormed out of a tumultuous match of the Indonesian martial art pencak silat at the Asian Games in Jakarta on Monday.

Mohd Al-Jufferi Jamari, the 2016 world champion, withdrew in protest seconds before the end of the final and punched a hole in the wall of the warm-up area, as Indonesia's Komang Harik Adi Putra bagged gold in the heated contest.

"I'm not mad at my opponent nor the supporters, but I'm mad because the jury didn't give the point fairly," 26-year-old Al-Jufferi said, according to the Games' official website.

Al-Jufferi dominated the early part of the men's 65-70kg final but 23-year-old Komang came back strongly.

Komang eventually clinched the match 4-1 and Al-Jufferi's coach was left trying to calm down the Malaysian, who pulled out two seconds before the finish.

Harry Warganegara, of Inasgoc, the Games organising committee, told AFP Al-Jufferi was unlikely to be sanctioned.

"We think it was very unfortunate though we try to understand (what the athlete was going through)," he said.

"But I don't think there will be any sanctions."

Nazif Najib, secretary general of Malaysia's National Olympic Committee (NOC), said he was waiting for the report from Inasgoc but agreed it was unlikely he would be punished.

"We think it was an athlete's response, he was emotional so no sanctions," he told AFP.

Komang's medal was one of eight golds for Indonesia in pencak silat at this year's Asiad.

The term pencak silat describes hundreds of indigenous combat styles in Southeast Asia, with fighters wielding an array of weapons such as knives, sickles and machetes.
    THREADS
    Asian Games
    Silat
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

What if Silat goes Olympic and Wushu does not...

National Olympic Committee registers new type of martial arts Pencak Silat
    18 September 2019 10:43

NUR-SULTAN. KAZINFORM – Saken Musaibekov, General Secretary of the National Olympic Committee, has bestowed Gadgy Gadgiyev, President of Pencak Silat Association, a certificate of recongnition, Kazinform correspondent reports. Pencak Silat is a type of martial arts practiced by the native peoples of the Malay Archipelago which includes Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. It is a full-body fighting form incorporating strikes, grappling and throwing in addition to weaponry. Every part of the body is used and subject to attack. Pencak silat plays important role in the history of the indigenous people of the Malay Archipelago. It should be noted that over the past years Pencak Silat has gone beyond the bounds of the Malay Archipelago. Thus, it is widespread in Holland, Germany, Italy, USA and Japan. Nowadays more than 70 countries across the world practice Sports Silat while traditional Pencak Silat is used by about 140 states as a basis for self-defense. According to Mr. Gadgiyev there are several branches in Kazakhstan including in the cities of Nur-Sultan, Almaty, Shymkent, Aktobe, Pavlodar, Karaganda, Kostanay, Atyrau, Zhambyl and Almaty regions. Additionally it is planned to open branches in 5 more regions of the country. He noted that the Association plans to carry out the first Republican Pencak Silat tournament in November the current year.

I put Iko Uwais on the cover of our FALL 2019 issue for many reasons, one of which is the international rise of Silat.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips