Thread: Workout log 12-28

Workout log 12-28

I get together with a group here on Sundays, for Kettlebell training.

Here was my workout: 6'1", 190 lbs

Warmup:
    1 x 15 two-handed swing with 24kg

2 x 5/5 snatches with 24kg

LC = long-cycle SC = short cycle

Work:
    1 x 5 LC clean & jerk with 2 x 32 kg
    1 x 1 c & j + OH squat with 2 x 32 kg - ass to heels, had a moment of doubt a few inches from the bottom on the way back up....pushed through it under control. Great feeling of accomplishment.
    2 x 1/1 32kg clean and press - tried for a 2nd rep on left (weak) side on the first set, but failed to press it...
    1 x 1/1 Bent Press with 32 kg
    1 x 2/2 LC c & j w/40 kg, one armed.
    1 x 10/10 snatches with 24 kg
    rest (long)
    1 x 20 SC jerks with 2 x 24 kg - surprised that I could hit it in spite of my fatigue...good practice with resting in the rack to gut out the last reps...
    rest (long)
    walked over to the weight room...
    1 x 5 HLR feet to bar
    Bench press - I haven't BP'd in years...
    135 lbs. x 12
    185 lbs. x 3
    225 lbs. x 2
    135 lbs. + pause x 8
    1 x 5 HLR, 2 feet to bar and 3 feet to horizontal

If I were fresh, I'm sure I could have met or exceeded my old BP PR of 4 x 225 lbs....Thank you Kettlebells. That was 7-8 years ago.

Walked back to KBs
    1 x 2/2 LC c & j w/40 kg, one armed, plus few seconds of OH hold.

My guess is that I'll be hurting tomorrow...

It's good to workout with a group, I'm finding.

I got a nice cold/flu for Christmas, so I haven't been in the gym since the 23rd. I went back today for a very light workout because I feel like I'm at about 85% now.

5:00 warm-up on x-country elliptical

Superset x2 w/empty bar:
    -Snatch Stance Bar Stretch x 30 sec
    -Snatch Rotations x 6
    -Snatch-grip Military Press x 6
    -Overhead Squat x 6

Superset w/95 lbs:
    -Snatch-grip hanging high pulls x 6
    -Clean-grip hanging high pulls x 6
    -Squat-Press x 6
    -Goodmorning x 6
    -Bent-over Rows x 6

Hang Power-snatch 95x5; 95x5
    Hang Snatch 95x5

Hang Power Clean & Jerk 135x5; 135x5
    Hang Clean and Jerk 135x3

X-Country Elliptical 10:00 (all I could take before I started feeling like puking & I was going very slow too)

Right now, I'm feeling decent enough. I think I'm going to skip the session I had planned for tomorrow and just go back on Friday. Hopefully I can start ripping again next Monday.

Nice workout, FP - love the oly-style moves. Is a Squat-press a squat followed by a push-press?

I'd also like to say - my pecs are so freaking sore....even though I did way more work with relation to other muscles....haven't benched in so long....

The cool thing is, I can BP once or twice a week from now on, totally unstuctured workouts, and still expect to make big BP gains for 4-6 months. Because it's like being a noob. That's fun.

That's basically a squat press. You do a back squat and just start pressing it while you are on your way back up. I hear ya with the soreness. My shoulders felt like they'd fall off for two weeks while I was getting used to this.

You can do the squat-press racking the bar like you're doing a front squat with the bar in the clean position also. Great exercise either way.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Yeah, when I'm doing this it's usually because I'm doing a clean and jerk. I do like the power clean-front squat-push press-good morning-back squat-press complex though. It's a real puker.

BTW, I didn't skip today. I did the same routine as before with 2 sets of 15 pull-ups and dips after. As well as 3 supersets of:

Standing Ab Wheel x 8
    Russian Twist x 8
    Side Bends x 8
    Weighted Swiss Ball Crunches x 8
    Dragon Flags x 8

I didn't do any cardio because I didn't want to kill my system too much. I'm feeling good though. Kicked that flu pretty quick. the guy that gave it to me is still sick as hell too.