Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few Reviews Should Be in Order

A Few Reviews Should Be in Order

I'm ordering the books Phoenix-Eye Kung Fu and Shaolin Lohan Kung Fu tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had read these, and if they had, were they a good representation of the systems?

Just doing some down-time research, and this stuff looked interesting.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

I have the Pheonix Eye book. It's pretty cool, but I haven't looked through it in forever.

I've seen both of those books at Borders, tho. I recommend you go there and flip through them before you order them just to make sure you want them.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Im finishing up "Mastering Kung Fu" about HFY Wing Chun. Good stuff.
    strike!

The book Phoenix Eye Fist a Shaolin Fighting Art of South China or Chuka Shaolin is a good book , both of the Chuka Shaolin books are good I have the Grandmaster of Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist Cheong Cheng Leong on video tape performing Chuka Shaolins 1 form Kai San (opening the mountain ) .

Technically, I'm not buying them. They're my birthday present from momma (momma's ROCK!).

I'm looking into some of the links between Okinawan karate and southern kungfu, and found reference to the Lohan style. The Phoenix-Eye Fist was a recommendation from Okinawan_Lohan.

Thanks for the replies thus far.

I recently read Adam Hsu's book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...72758150/sr=1-

and I recommend it. Yang Jwing-Ming books are especially good.

That's on my to read list. But, aside for the occasional foray into the technical deliniation between southern kung fu and Okinawan karate, I'm trying to keep the bulk of my research on OMA.

I've heard it's an amazing book, and I will get it, eventually.

I've purchased both books at Half Price Books around me and both are very rare finds. Very good books as well, I especially like the Lohan book. The Phoenix-Eye book however lacked a Table of Contents if I remember, or page numbers, making it difficult to find stuff within.
    I have a signature.

Shaolin Lohan Kung-Fu

That's a classic book, one of the first Shaolin books to appear in English. If memory serves, it had some good anecdotal stuff and was significant since it was a precedent, but I don't remember it being that great for techniques. I'd have to dig out my old copy and take another look, and since I'm working on reorganizing my library, it may actually happen in the next month or two...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yay! I picked a good one!

A Review of Phoenix-Eye Fist: A Shaolin Fighting Art of South China

I have to say, this was a great read. Despite the fact that I have never trained in this art, or any Cma for that matter, the lessons were easily understood, the layout served only to improve one's level of comprehension, and the author did not seem to be interested in self-promotion.

I've read one or two martial arts books, and hit is definetly one of the best. After reading this, I am rather interested in training with a Chuka Shaolin instructor.

If one has this book, read it again. If you don't, buy it, then read it, then read it again.

Awesome work.

============

Still waiting on my Shaolin Lohan book to get here.

Stupid weekends.

Vash

You should get the second book on Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist called The Secrets of Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist Kung Fu by authors Cheong Cheng Leong and Mark Wiley , as the second book compliments the first book . I am in contact with a student of Cheong Cheng Leongs that lives in South America .

Re: Vash

Originally posted by FIRE HAWK
    You should get the second book on Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist called The Secrets of Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist Kung Fu by authors Cheong Cheng Leong and Mark Wiley , as the second book compliments the first book . I am in contact with a student of Cheong Cheng Leongs that lives in South America .
    Picked this one up on special for $5AU!!... Good book, have never seen/practiced the art so don't know if its a good representation. But it seems well written and looks pretty legit to me.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Vash,

If you are looking for connectives between Okinawan and southern Chinese martial arts, your should try looking up George Matteson of the Uechi-ryu style. His Massachusetts group has done extensive research in studying the roots of their style and they have even gone to Fukien, China to draw connectives. He has a website that shouldn't be too hard to find.

mickey

Thanks for the suggestion. If I find the site, I'll drop a link in the ORA thread for links.

I'm kinda-sorta looking at connections, but it's really only a hobby at this point. Since I can't actually train, I've got to do something to keep me occupied. And I'm not quite looking for historical connections so much as technical relations. I'd like to take the techniques of Isshinryu and look at them under a new light, see what kind of applications/strategies are there.