Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My teacher has lost

My teacher has lost

My sifu has lost a few fights. Good as he is. Has yours?

Does talking in class about when his elbow was popped (at least twice) during practice count?

the only undefeated fighters are those who dont compete, as a wise man once said. you learn more from losing than you do from winning, as some other smart fella said.

My "sifu" (sorry that word just cracks me up) lost a few and won a few in the army (boxing) but as for outside the ring I dont know. Hes not the kind of guy you would imagine getting into a fight on the street.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Wasn't Chang Dong Sheng undefeated in all of his known bouts?
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

Actually I'm not sure when and where these losses took place. Probably during competition, but who knows. I just know that he'll freely admit to having lost before. Not that it should be that big of a deal, but it is, in this stark MA world where fairytales are sold for cash...

My teacher isn't Chang Dong Shen. (trying to keep thread on track)

Id be pretty sus of someone who claimed to have never of been beaten. It would mean either

a) they dont fight, or
    b) they are full of sh*t.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Sorry about that. Anyway, yeah, I know my teacher has lost before. He was 2nd place in the National Push Hands Championship in Taiwan in the 80s (I think it was sometime in the 80s), so he obviously didn't win the match for 1st place. There have been other times in sanshou I'm sure, but it wasn't in competition so there wasn't a clear winner/loser type of thing. But yeah, anyone who's never been beaten need to test their skills with more people.

TJQ Student - That's the story, but it begins after he's already trained for a decade under Chang Feng-Yen.

That's true. I'm sure he took many lumps in those 10 initial years.

Sort of related.

My teacher was a bit rough during his teens. He was a scrapper, and did all right, generally. He's got a good fighter's build, lots of upper body strength, good sense of timing, and lots of speed.

Anyway, he was walking down the street one time, and passed an alleyway where what he assumes was a gang rape was happening. He made the mistake of saying hey or something to that extent, and one guy broke from the group and started walking toward him with a knife and a freaky look. My teacher got the hell out of there and called the cops, not because he feared the knife so much, but because he saw the guy holding it and assessed him to be the wrng person to mess with. The way my teacher describes it is by an expression in spanish(which I don't know) that basically means "The devil in him was bigger than the devil in me", or something like that. So there's one he didn't even fight, because he knew he'd lost it the moment he saw the guy.

Just an interesting story, back to the subject at hand.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

"hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Originally posted by KC Elbows
    Sort of related.

My teacher was a bit rough during his teens. He was a scrapper, and did all right, generally. He's got a good fighter's build, lots of upper body strength, good sense of timing, and lots of speed.

Anyway, he was walking down the street one time, and passed an alleyway where what he assumes was a gang rape was happening. He made the mistake of saying hey or something to that extent, and one guy broke from the group and started walking toward him with a knife and a freaky look. My teacher got the hell out of there and called the cops, not because he feared the knife so much, but because he saw the guy holding it and assessed him to be the wrng person to mess with. The way my teacher describes it is by an expression in spanish(which I don't know) that basically means "The devil in him was bigger than the devil in me", or something like that. So there's one he didn't even fight, because he knew he'd lost it the moment he saw the guy.

Just an interesting story, back to the subject at hand.
    You ever see cats face off across the street? They fight the same way.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

My teacher has lost before in a fight, he says that anything can surprise you in a fight and if you pause to think about that one moment, you've already lost.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

Rickson Gracie (No, he's not my teacher)

400-0
    "I'm into murders and executions, mostly"