Thread: Is this good kungfu?

Is this good kungfu?

Here are some tkd sparring clips. .

http://www.taekwonline.com/file/cast/108_sl.wmv
    http://www.taekwonline.com/file/cast/109_sl.wmv

this match supposedly got bloody. don't watch if you are squeamish. knowing people, this is probably the first one they start to download.

http://www.taekwonline.com/file/cast/110_sl.wmv
    http://www.taekwonline.com/file/cast/111_sl.wmv

So, is your kung-fu better than their kung-fu?

hahaaa.

wm
    dazed and confused

Those clips are too long for my wussy connection.

They are long and choppy for my macho connection.

From the clips ive seen, this does represent the way TKD fighters train.

strike!

Only had to see a minute

It looks like its full contact, which is good for TKDn which usually doesn't allow face striking.

With that said, it's still the bouncy, arms down TKD that we've all learned to beat. A Hsing-I guy of a few years would get inside and light them up, a BJJ guy would wrap them up and bring them down and a kick boxer would destroy their legs and beat them bad.

Great athletes and MA. SO much potential. They're just working off a bad formula.

Re: Is this good kungfu?

Originally posted by WanderingMonk
    So, is your kung-fu better than their kung-fu?

hahaaa.

wm
    Well, they're doing Tae Kwon Do (Korean Kung Fu) and I'm doing Wrestling (Greek Kung Fu) and Boxing (English Kung Fu). And Greek food is better than Korean food. Therefore, my kung fu is better than theirs, and I can prove it with charts.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Therefore, my kung fu is better than theirs, and I can prove it with charts.
    Please! Bulgogi chokes grape leaves into unconsciousness every time.

And in the paraphrased words of Homer Simpson, "charts can be used to prove anything that's even remotely true!"

When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Their kung fu (skill) is good, it's just that they have wrongly invested their talents ... if they want to be good fighters.

No doubt they can kick high and fast, but does it have stopping/killing power? They can punch, but is it effective? Do they control the other man first, pinning him?

Guys like this could be great. Guys like this could not only carry martial arts into the future but improve them ... if they had better martial guidance. Lots wrong with their formula.

But, it takes all kinds I guess. I just see guys who can move well like that and not scared to get into a ring and think, God, they could be great fighters.

I confess that I haven't watched even one of these videos to completion as these videos load slowly on my normally speedy connection.

I gather from what I've seen is that this is point sparring with some contact allowed. Occasionally heavy contact does occur in this type of sparring -- but it's generally frowned upon and against the rules.

Their hopping around and their lack desire to commit is a by product of the rules. This is a game of tag.

I may change my mind if I watch the remaining videos.

I watched the bloody one and I think it was alot better than 100 % all other tkd fights I've ever seen. Lucky shot though, and I agree with what's posted above.
    (think about if that guy started training BJJ and Thai)
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

I watched the first one, and yeah it looks like the tkd we all know and love. havent seen the second one yet though. i still just cant understand this idea of having the arms on your legs, when EVERY OTHER MA IN THE WORLD protects the face.

their kicks aren't bad, but i still think any hlafway decent kickboxer would mulch these guys. a high spinning hook kick simply is not an applicable move in a fight.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

ok just watched the second one- and I concur these guys would make excellent fighters. their balance is superb to say the least, and even when the pressure was on they didnt get sloppy. bit of work and they could be great, as it is in any fight apart from a TKD match, they will be nothing more than mediocre. its a shame really, Im sure there are good TKD schools that turn out awesome fighters- I just have yet to see one.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

same as above i concur.

i would have to say i have never been a fan of TKD. its got a lot of power in the kicks. But bad form in the protection area gets them more times than not Knocked out. take the legs away and your in like Flynn for the win. Inside the Gate dont even have to take them to the ground.

Salute,
    Fear Makes You Hesitate, Make Fear Your Allie and Make Your Enemy Hesistate!