Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muhammed Ali vs Martial Artist

lol, you on crack? Even with the crazy rules Inoki got Ali to the ground and went for a leg/foot lock but Ali grabbed the ropes which forced the fight to be stood up in the center.

Striker versus Grappler = Grappler wins 99% of the time

Have the last 10 years taught you nothing?
    Last edited by truewrestler; 12-30-2003 at 02:55 PM.

Have the last 10 years taught you nothing?
    Yeah, that grappling isn't the end all be all...

99%

Grappling is good to know, and needs to be addressed but it isn't the "ultimate" thing ya know....

Or have you not seen someone actually get ktfo from a strike in the last 10 years.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Ok, I'll lower the bar.... would you favor Inoki to win under modern MMA rules?

Just wanted to thank everyone for the great information. I really learned a lot. I guess God gave me two ears, two eyes, and one mouth so I could spend four times as much time taking things in rather than spouting them out.
    Figure Eight

Our latest sweepstakes. Enter and WIN!

Enter to win KungFuMagazine.com's contest for ALI VS. INOKI: The Forgotten Fight that Inspired Mixed Martial Arts and Launched Sports Entertainment by Josh Gross! Contest ends 5:30 p.m. PST on 7/7/2016
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Old thread I know, but someone said that Antonio Inoki is half-Brazilian. WRONG. He was originally from a well-off family in Yokohama that fell on hard times and emigrated to Brazil (as did many Japanese families) when he was young. What does "half-Brazilian" even mean, anyway? That's like saying "half-American".

I would rate the 1963 Gene LeBell/Milo Savage fight much higher than the Ali/Inoki "fight" in terms of inspiring "mixed martial arts fights" (in the U.S.). I did hear that after the Inoki match, Ali suffered hematomas in his legs from getting kicked there.

Antonio Inoki won that fight even without allowing grappling. don't think that was a fixed fight, those kicks looked real and didn't look choreographed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5UdMnyms5E
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 06-28-2016 at 02:32 AM.

Yep, I still remember having watched the video clip on local TV news. Unless there is proof shown, I will not say the fight was fixed. But it was a poor match. The rules of the fight largely dictated its outcome - boxer not allowed to use ground techniques, and the wrestler stays on the ground most of the times.

Regards,

KC
    Hong Kong

Greetings,

There was no victor declared. Inoki did not try to take the fight to Ali. If he had done so, things could have been much different. Karl Gotch was in Inoki's corner and was pretty annoyed at Inoki's tactics. It is my opinion that Karl Gotch could have fought both men that evening and ruled. THAT would have been worth seeing.

mickey

Of course the match was real, not fixed, other than the fact that Inoki had a TON of restrictions placed on him beforehand. Basically, he was not allowed to do a lot of things. Thus on the rare occasion(s) when they went to the ground (with Ali looking totally helpless), referee Gene LeBell jumped in and broke them up. The rules were essentially in place to protect Ali. Inoki was clearly the bigger and stronger of the two, and I'm convinced that in a match that allowed both of them to play to their full strengths, Inoki would most likely have beaten Ali, fairly quickly. But Ali was an icon and, let's be real here, a cash cow for MANY people who needed to protect their income.

Most of the time, whenever wrestlers and boxers have been matched against each other, the wrestlers beat the boxers. Although I remember seeing a match back in the early '70s between a boxer and a wrestler, where the boxer quickly KO'd the wrestler. I don't know who they were, if they were top guys in their respective sports or not, or if the wrestler had a real amateur background or was strictly a pro wrestler. But mostly it goes to the wrestlers.

Prior to the Ali/Inoki fight, Ali was at a press conference in L.A., and heavyweight karate champion Joe Lewis, who had a wrestling background, was there. The subject of shooting in/taking down came up. Ali invited Lewis into the ring to demonstrate how he would take him down. Lewis faked a high punch, then shot in and (gently) took Ali down. Ali's people were nervous. They tried it a second time, same result, with Ali on his back. Even though Lewis was taking it easy, Ali's people pulled him off of Ali. Ali was surprised by Lewis's strength, noting that Lewis had weight trained. Grapplers in general tend to be stronger than most straight-up boxers anyway, due to the nature of their sport.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-02-2016 at 11:22 AM.

Greetings,

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Prior to the Ali/Inoki fight, Ali was at a press conference in L.A., and heavyweight karate champion Joe Lewis, who had a wrestling background, was there. The subject of shooting in/taking down came up. Ali invited Lewis into the ring to demonstrate how he would take him down. Lewis faked a high punch, then shot in and (gently) took Ali down. Ali's people were nervous. They tried it a second time, same result, with Ali on his back. Even though Lewis was taking it easy, Ali's people pulled him off of Ali. Ali was surprised by Lewis's strength, noting that Lewis had weight trained. Grapplers in general tend to be stronger than most straight-up boxers anyway, due to the nature of their sport.
    I would have LOVED to have seen that. A few years before that, Joe Frazier did something similar to Ali after Ali referred to Joe Frazier as "ignorant" during a commentary session on one of their fights. I remember that Joe Frazier had to be pulled off the guy. Even then, Ali did not learn the lesson.

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 07-02-2016 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

I would have LOVED to have seen that. A few years before that, Joe Frazier did something similar to Ali after Ali referred to Joe Frazier as "ignorant" during a commentary session on one of their fights. I remember that Joe Frazier had to be pulled off the guy. Even then, Ali did not learn the lesson.

mickey
    mickey,

Although he wasn't my favorite fighter to watch, IMO, Ali was a truly great fighter in an era of great fighters, *in the boxing ring*. However, in a mixed-style match, and most likely out on the street/out of his element, his skills didn't really adapt well and he seemed extremely out of place. Contrast him to people like George Foreman, Sonny Liston, etc., who he beat in the ring, but who had considerable street fighting experience even before boxing, and who would almost certainly have fared much better than Ali outside of an organized boxing bout.

Ali seemed well aware of that. I heard a story about Ali/Cassius Clay in his youth (probably pre-Olympics) in which a street fighter/bully kept bothering him to fight on the street. So one day, Ali finally invited the other kid to the boxing gym and basically said, 'We can do it in the ring'. If I remember correctly, Ali put on a boxing clinic and made a fool out of him, after which he never bothered Ali again. I think the story ended by Ali's trainer saying that Ali had taken a big chance, that the other kid would have demolished him in a street brawl, but that Ali was aware of that, and smart enough to know that in the boxing ring, he could run circles around the other kid and box his ears off. And that was enough to scare the other kid off him.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 07-05-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Our winners are announced!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yi Long vs Leduc

3 days ago
    Shaolin Monk Yi Long To Take Part In A Knockout Only Fight
    Ryan Sidle in UFC

Conor McGregor and Tenshin Nasukawa aren't the only ones that can move sports. Shaolin Monk Yi Long is set to face a Lethwei fighter named 'the most dangerous man in combat sports.'

Changing sports is all the rage these days with kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa set to drop his kicking prowess in order to face Floyd Mayweather in the ring following on from Conor McGregor's own move into boxing and Usain Bolt's attempt at becoming a footballer.

However that's nothing compared to one kickboxer Yi Long. The Shaolin Monk's most recent kickboxing fight came against 7ft-2 super heavyweight Hong Man Choi, Long is a 5ft-10 middleweight, but resulted in the smaller man coming out on top.

continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips