Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Muhammed Ali vs Martial Artist

Mohammed Ali vs Ju Jitsu Stylist

I have an acquaintance that doesnt believe this match ever occured. Anyone who has a link to any documentation/pics/vids?
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Hell, *I* don't believe that match ever happened. Unless you're thinking of his fight with Antonio Inoki, who was a Japanese pro wrestler with no jujitsu experience of which I am aware.

I've got clips of that fight, and let me tell you it is boring as hell.

Lee Casebolt

Antonio Inoki is half Brazilian, so maybe he knew some BJJ.
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

By the way, LeeCasebot, how did the match end?
    "Extra inch, extra power." -Tarm Sarm

lol

Ali was standing up and Antonio was on the ground laying on his back kicking him.

worst fight ive seen!

not worth the time to watch it, he was scared Ali would punch the sh!t out of him.

FT

LOL...it was truly the worst fight ever! It was a fixed match agreed upon by both sides. They did it for the MONEY. A wierd stipulation was that INOKI was not allowed to grapple ALI. Why this happen I have no idea! But later years reveal that this was simply a money making scheme...the Japanese love it when AMERICAN IDOLs lose or end up tieing with their HEROEs. Hulk Hogan was paid millions to lose to MAEDA and others.
    A

Woohoo Is there any source i can download those clips from boring or not?
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

Was it really worse than the Dan Severn/Ken Shamrock "Superfight" that consisted of Severn walking counterclockwise in a circle for a half hour while Ken turned to face him?

"Worst pro fight ever"

Sounds like a great idea for a thread!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

I saw that fight, it was a show.
    ALi was very good paided, the japanese guy on the ground in an undecorous position throwing kicks to Ali.

Here's what I know of the fight...

Well, I *say* "know". Here's a compilation of what I've been told about the fight. It was an exhibition put on by a pro wrestler and a boxing promoter, so let's not kid ourselves about the amount of reliable information available.

Inoki's got a hardon for proving that pro wrestlers are the world's toughest fighters. Had it for decades, from when he started wrestling in the 60s (?), to his current role in promotions. As a "competitor", he lined up judo and karate champions for worked matches and, naturally, beat them in impressive fashion.

With this as a backdrop, Inoki got it in his head that the thing to do would be to have a match with the world heavyweight boxing champion, the colorful Muhammed Ali. My understanding is that, originally, Ali was supposed to do the job (that's take the fall, or lose the fight in carny parlance) so Inoki could look good to the hometown fans. As the fight approaches, Ali decides he's not laying down for some foreign fake fighter. Or his management decides that, I'm not too clear on this point. In any case, the deal is off unless it's a real fight.

Apparently, Inoki figured he could take the champ, given that he had some legitimate wrestling training and Ali had none, so he agreed. More time passes, and significant promotional work is done, and Ali (or his people) decide they won't fight unless the rules are changed to forbid Inoki from suplexing (throwing) or using submission holds. By this point, too much money is invested for Inoki and his people to cancel, so they agree.

The whole event is reputed to have been quite the spectacle. Boxer Chuck Wepner faced Andre the Giant in a worked bout on the undercard that I dearly wish I had a copy of. Judo and pro wrestling legend Gene LeBelle was signed as a special referee. The main event was a let down as Inoki spent the entire fight on his back, kicking at the legs of Ali for fifteen rounds of "action". Not as bad as Shamrock/Severn 2 (which permanently retired the "Worst Professional Fight Ever" title), but close. The fight was, I beleive, ruled a draw. I've heard varying reports as to the effectiveness of Inoki's kicks, from "none at all" to those who say Ali was never as mobile after this bout.

In short, somewhat interesting for historical reasons, but not much in the way of entertainment.

I don't know of any site that has clips of the fight; I got it on a cheap "champions of the martial arts" video that also had a few muay Thai fight clips and some psycho karateka fighting a bear. Trust me, it's not worth the $12.

Lee Casebolt

some psycho karateka fighting a bear. Trust me, it's not worth the $12.

THAT almost sounds like it's worth 12 dollars, maybe I can dig around for it.
    "Cyanide is a dangerous chemical. That's why it is a crime to possess it without a peaceful purpose," said U.S. Attorney Fitzgerald.

Smile

The Gorilla Monsoon - Ali fight was much better. Monsoon picked Ali up and threw him out of the ring and Ali climbed back in and beat the cr@p out of him. Very dramatic.
    " Better to be a warrior in the garden than a gardner at war."
    "Ni hao darlins!" - wujidude
    "I just believe that qi is real and good body mechanics have been masquerading as internal power for too long." - omarthefish

This is the site of the program, where I saw the fight.
    They publish the videos on the site, I didn't search it but you can ask for it there.
    Luck

http://www.tvndeportes.cl/seccion.asp?ids=114

Muhammed Ali vs Martial Artist

I read somewhere that Muhammed Ali fought a martial artist who immediately got in the crab position and took Ali down with a scissors move. Can anyone tell me who the martial artist was, what his style was and the outcome of the fight?
    Figure Eight

Antonio Inoki. He was a wrestler/judoka who is still very big in Japan. He's promoter for Pride and Japan's pro-wrestling circuit. I'm not sure if he participates in pro-wrestling or not.

I think the outcome of the fight was a draw. Inoki basically butt-scooted the entire fight, so obviously Ali couldn't get to him while he was flat on his back. he fight was basically a sham.

Round-by-round:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~YF7M-ON/eari3.html

Rules:

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~YF7M-ON/eari2.html
    Last edited by Ford Prefect; 12-30-2003 at 10:24 AM.