Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Muhammed Ali vs Martial Artist

Rules were the biggest problem for this match. Especially after Ali's guys saw Inoki's sparring, they had a strong atttitude to threaten Inoki's side that they would boycott the match unless the restrictions are added with their requests. Inoki was forced to fight under a lot of restrictions.

Before the match, the rules weren't explained to the audience. If rules were recognized by the audience, the match might be evaluated in differently.

It was a problem that they didn't agree with the rules until the last minute, but more than that, the fact was that Inoki was not able to do much under these rules. So, they could not publically announce the rules

This is a better fight - Judoka (Gene LeBell ) vs Boxer (Milo Savage):

http://www.blackbeltmag.com/archives...ingvsjudo.html

...and it is even available on video at Gene's store:

http://www.genelebell.com/product.asp?i=20

Didn't Ali also do an exhibition bout with Joe Hess as well?
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Truewrestler,

Not saying that what you posted is entirely incorrect, but please note that the site that little blurb is from is Japanese Pro-wrestling fan site where Inoki is a god.

Inoki couldn't lift and slam Ali but he could trip from the clinch. I've seen a lot of this fight (i didn't see the whole thing because it was impossible to remain interesting since it was so very boring), and Inoki basically just lied on his back from start to finish. It was a sham.

I liked it when Rocky Balboa fought Hulk Hogan.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

All I know is what I've heard and that site explains what I've heard over the years... along with the fact (right?) that the bout was initially supposed to be a work/prorasslin match

I have seen some video online and it looked like Inoki gave some decent kicks. Rules from that site: "Note: kicks regularly used in pro-wrestling are prohibited. However, when the wrestler's knees are on the ground or squatting down, he can use foot or legs to kick the opponent's legs"
    Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    Truewrestler,

Not saying that what you posted is entirely incorrect, but please note that the site that little blurb is from is Japanese Pro-wrestling fan site where Inoki is a god.

Inoki couldn't lift and slam Ali but he could trip from the clinch. I've seen a lot of this fight (i didn't see the whole thing because it was impossible to remain interesting since it was so very boring), and Inoki basically just lied on his back from start to finish. It was a sham.
    Last edited by truewrestler; 12-30-2003 at 12:19 PM.

Thumbs down

I seen that Inoki/Ali "fight" It was a shame even if it was only an exibition match.
    Inoki was on his back all the times and Ali was surely wondering what it was about!

Inoki is now Pride's official clown!...The one all bow before.. He is very good in his role because he certainly believes in himself a lot!...Looks like his ego is as big as his jaw!

Ford Prefect, I don't see anything in the rules limiting takedowns.... except for maybe the grabbing ropes = ref break and start in middle

question

i've heard of this fight but never saw it....i'm at work now so i can't watch any mpegs, but in this instance, does 'crab position' = Fred Ettish 'Fetal Fighting' position?
    In mildness is the strength of steel

There are some pics of it on that one link.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Re: question

Originally posted by Abstract
    i've heard of this fight but never saw it....i'm at work now so i can't watch any mpegs, but in this instance, does 'crab position' = Fred Ettish 'Fetal Fighting' position?
    ummmm....no, it means crab position (sitting on butt with one or both hands supporting you from behind)

Really? I could have sworn Inoki was barred from picking up Ali off the ground and slamming him. You are right. It was a work in it's original inception. I think Gene Lebelle was the ref in that fight too. heh!

Splashing Hands has stepping simalar looking to Muhammed Ali's stepping...

just thought you'd like to know

I thought there were more rules too Ford Perfect. I have seen this website before but never actually read through the rules

Anyways... regardless, I think we can only come to one conclusion: under modern MMA rules Inoki would have won the fight easily

Anyways... regardless, I think we can only come to one conclusion: under modern MMA rules Inoki would have won the fight easily
    Think what you will, but a couple solid punches from Ali could change that quick. It is one of those things to kind of look at, shrug your shoulders, and realize it was all about publicity.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread