Thread: S. Shaolin School

S. Shaolin School

I recently visited a gung fu school the other day to inquire about their classes. They told me they tought southern shaolin style kung fu. This puzzled me so i asked what style of southern shaolin kungfu? Hung gar? Choy li fut(think thats southern, maybe wrong). They replied no its similar to hung gar, we teach southern shaolin style kung fu. Previously i studied seven st mantis. This school says it teaches animals such as mantis, snake, crane, tiger, eagle claw. My previous schools specilized in just one animal, how is a sifu to master all these animals, do any of you study at a school that is simply referered to as southern shaolin. What does southern shaolin style kung fu exactly refer to, is their an exact name?
    Shapeless Like Water

At one time, many Hung Gar schools would call themselves southern shaolin. Most southern shaolin is based around the 5 animals: Tiger, Crane, Snake, Leopard, Dragon.

Eagle and mantis are not (usually).

Is this the exact name of the school you visited? That's up to the school. IF you could provide a URL or lineage we could probably tell more.

Blog Entries

Re: S. Shaolin School

Originally posted by shenyingwu
    I recently visited a gung fu school the other day to inquire about their classes. They told me they tought southern shaolin style kung fu. This puzzled me so i asked what style of southern shaolin kungfu? Hung gar? Choy li fut(think thats southern, maybe wrong). They replied no its similar to hung gar, we teach southern shaolin style kung fu. Previously i studied seven st mantis. This school says it teaches animals such as mantis, snake, crane, tiger, eagle claw. My previous schools specilized in just one animal, how is a sifu to master all these animals, do any of you study at a school that is simply referered to as southern shaolin. What does southern shaolin style kung fu exactly refer to, is their an exact name?
    Chop socky.

Sounds to me like you are right to be careful in this case. Try to inquire about their history/lineage.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Sounds like he's trying to take early advantage of the publicity surrounding the newly rebuilt southern Shaolin Temple. When other schools pop up he can say he was the first.

Or maybe he does have a link to Nan Shaolin. They are open for training.

Or it could be Shao-Lin Do.
    Last edited by Ou Ji; 01-09-2004 at 08:14 AM.

To be fair, as Hay Say Fu pointed out, it's not an uncommon name and is often interchangeable with Hung Gar, Hung Men and Fut Gar. Many esoteric Cantonese 5 animals systems often refer to themselves as Nan Sil Lum.
    I know one such system which is similar to Hung Gar, has the main 5 animals as well as lesser elements of eagle and monkey.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Anyway, 7 star mantis has white ape (along with 17 other styles) within it.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk