Thread: Standardization

Standardization

Has anyone ever wished kung fu styles were a bit more standard. What do i mean, i mean to compare to TKD if i were to join different WTF dojangs the forms/techniques woudl be the same. Such is not true for kung fu. Why do i want it to be more standard? So that i am more reasured about the quality and quantity of information to be imbued upon me. So that i don't have to ponder, "Hmm, I wonder if this is the best way or the way others practice this move". I think it would help the teachers too to have a collaborative association on kung fu. I am aware that their are some associations but i find that the art seems to be more fragmented than any other.
    Shapeless Like Water

I find the "Old School" way better than the standardized system as it allows for a better individual student - teacher relationship.
    Ron Goninan - Chairman
    KOBGK Paihequan International

E-mail: tsuruken@austarnet.com.au
    Web Site: http://home.austarnet.com.au/tsuruken

it's just not feasible and would be yet another very sad blow towards conformity and loss iof ndividual aspects. It would force traditional stylist "rebels" even further underground and contribute to even harder to come by information. Don't be discouraged. If you have queries do some research but continue with practice as long as is practicable......at least if you don't find anything contradictory, you haven't lost valuable time and if you do...you won't have lost valuable body condition. Standardization is an unfair suggestion...but that's just my opinion and no doubt there'll be others who'll agree with you....don't you love freedom of expression

I'd rather not see it standardised either. Style is not about curriculem, but about expressing your art in a certain way.

There are 1000's of ways of doing Kung Fu, if you standardize it, you will have only one way, and lose 999 treasurs, that will never be recovered.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Originally posted by Royal Dragon
    I'd rather not see it standardised either. Style is not about curriculem, but about expressing your art in a certain way.

There are 1000's of ways of doing Kung Fu, if you standardize it, you will have only one way, and lose 999 treasurs, that will never be recovered.
    I disagree. look at judo. It's very standardized. but you express it in your own way still. I for example like sweeps and pickups. there are guys I train with who live by hand throws, and others by hip throws. And even within those categories, we have techniques that we prefer, different stances, different setups, etc. your art is your art reagardless of standardization.

Look at my ultimate grappling thread. before the SC guys can talk, they need to establish a standard lingo, as they have different names for the same technique.

That said, you shouldn't standardize kung fu as a whole (for example, you can't have SC, WC and mantis all using the same curriculum), but standardization within the various systems can be a very good thing.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Standardized = arranging for the lowest common denominator.
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

Standardizing curriculuums doesn't mean standardizing fighter's individual styles.

I think we need a lot fewer NAMES for styles, actually, since a lot of 'em don't actually strike me as being very different from each other, just a lot of hair and lineage splitting.

For example - there are provavly as many different styles of boxing as there are boxers, or at least gyms. But they don't have different names, because they recognize that the similarities are huge and the diffferences are less important.

Saying you studied boxing at so-and-so gym or under so-and-so boxer is the equivalent of saying I study X style in CMA.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Standardization would be great...if we had standard people. Variety is the spice of life.
    I believe one of the reasons there are so many different styles and even differences within styles are due to the differences in body types, temperaments, needs etc. of people.

Have a Happy New Year!

GHD
    ...ask for Kam
    ------------------------------------------------
    "Fool me once, then shame on you. Fool me twice, then shame on me"

Not everyone is fortunate or lucky enough to be within driving distance of a good/reputable teacher. I guess i felt that some standardization would help people to know whether an art was really what the teacher claimed it to be. Also would help if you wanted to continue training elsewhere. I don't know, just a thought i guess
    Shapeless Like Water

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Saying you studied boxing at so-and-so gym or under so-and-so boxer is the equivalent of saying I study X style in CMA.
    True. And at the same time, if I talk to MP and say, "today, we trained slipping the jab", he knows exactly what I'm referring to. within some CMA styles, techniques have different names, so you can't always do that. Also, not all systems use the same training exercises/apparatus. I've talked to KF guys who have no clue what plum flower posts are.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Gold Horse Dragon
    Standardization would be great...if we had standard people. Variety is the spice of life.
    I believe one of the reasons there are so many different styles and even differences within styles are due to the differences in body types, temperaments, needs etc. of people.

Have a Happy New Year!

GHD
    I'm not saying standarize the style, but the curriculum and terminology used within the style. I can go to any judo club in the world and say "my favorite technique is hiza guruma" and they know what hiza guruma is. I can't walk into any SC school and say "I like the cannonball technique" - it's not standardized.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by shenyingwu
    Not everyone is fortunate or lucky enough to be within driving distance of a good/reputable teacher. I guess i felt that some standardization would help people to know whether an art was really what the teacher claimed it to be. Also would help if you wanted to continue training elsewhere. I don't know, just a thought i guess
    I think it's an excellent thought.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Seven Star has sstandardized the correct into a coherent, widely used curriculuum.

China (PRC) standarized CMA during the 1950's and look what happpen. Good or bad the end result was the creation of standarizeed Wu Shu sets. It took them a while to realize actually what they did and now have allowed individuals to create their own Wu Shu sets. However they still use the standardize Wu Shu sets.

So using this a good example to view in hind sight: Was this a good move by PCR to wipe out TCMA and standardize all sets and create WU Shu?