Thread: So I beat up on a capoeira guy...

So I beat up on a capoeira guy...

nah, actually I didn't , but it made you look. In MT tonight, a capoeirista came by. his maestre is the capo guy that was in "The Quest" and now he's training with a local group. He gave a demo - awesome. He was doing the jenga while facing a concrete post, then did various kicks and maneuvers around it. finally, he did something that looked like a takedown, and I yelled "hey, that looked like a takedown" He then proceeded to show us various capo takedowns. I was impressed.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

excuse the volcano wants to put his finger on your
    thread

"mestre"
    "ginga"

mkay
    Volcano has removed himself from this realm
    Account is hijacked, email is fake, password is unrememberable
    No im not drunk or sad

"cos im the TAXMAN!!
    yeah im the TAXMAAAN!!"

Thumbs up

cool.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I have no idea if it's useable, but good capoeira looks awesome!

I've heard it is great for scoring with the ladies in the club... especially with glow sticks between your toes

Only The Strong is still one of my favorite martial arts movies

The guy in 'The Quest' was pretty phenomenal. He's also in 'Shootfighter 2' which (embarassingly) I have on tape. He's the main baddie. Check it out.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Wouldn't happen to be the guy who did the motion capture for Tekken 3's Eddie would he?

eddie was coo, but xiaoyu rawked. there's just something special about kicking ass under the guise of a chinese schoolgirl.

anyhoo, back to seven's topic: any mt people battle it out, even spar, with a capoeirista?
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

my friend has (not a guy from my gym) he said the capoeirista gave him a really hard time because he never knew where anything was coming from. He said he got a few shots on the guy, but he took most of the damage.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

If you're interested, Bira Almeida (Mestre Acordeon) has a really good book about capoeira history and philosophy. Well worth checking out.

For technique, Nestor Capoeira has a couple of good books.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

There's a local school that always participates in our tournaments. I don't think they are the premier example of capoeria, but they are still pretty good. Their teacher doesn't seem to fight that well, but he has a student that could actually apply it in the ring.

I would think that they could do some damage if you weren't accustomed to their style of fighting. It seems they could take a knee out pretty easily with one of their kicks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.