Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern Shaolin is the best style- hands down

shipalohan Guest

Northern Shaolin is the best style- hands down

I have to say that Northern Shaolin kung fu is it. If you know n. shaolin kung fu you know everything because that is where it really started. There are throws, locks, strike, kicks, everything. Other kung fu styles just added to the shaolin regimen. If you learn n. shaolin then you can learn anything because it has everything.

P.s. and to the other posts traditional kung fu style were made in war, streets, competition etc. Not just in one.

JHWSS Guest
    I have been trainning in kung fu san soo for 2 years. My school just closed and san soo is kinda on the down side in my area, no one else is teaching it in my area. So me and a friend of mine that I trainned with have been looking around. We want to continue with kung fu and we called several schools about northern shaolin longfist. My buddy is sort of sketchy about it and thinnks it will take years to learn. I would just like to know what it is like, and how long it would take to be able to use it on the street and if it is just a lot of hand forms. Thanks.

nospam Guest
    Dat's strange...cause my momma done told me TKD RUleZ! ****ed ssssssskippy.

The Whyzyrd Guest
    Well, let's see. I studied Lung Jop Pai for six years. That is a northern shaolin kung fu style. Since then, I have been studying Hung Ga Kung Fu (almost two years now) which is a southern kung fu style.

I don't know if I would say that Northern Shaolin has it all. You are correct that NSKF has a lot. Lung Jop Pai has throws, locks, strikes, kicks, blocks, and takedowns. It works in both the long bridge (its primary range) and short bridge. It has elements of ba gua (sp) for ground routines. It has all of the primary weapons (pole, spear, kwan do, broadsword, long sword, even the garden hoe). It boasts straight line attacks and angular attacks and circular attacks. I even learned a form with one foot planted in one spot called a single flower form (I suppose in case I'm chained to a bench).

With all of that I find that the Hung Ga is a more effective system. The attacks are more direct and more efficient. The system itself is far more aggressive (no, it doesn't teach to go out and start fights - it teaches us that if we do get into a fight - finish it!)

The northern systems (from what little I know of them) tend to be more spiritual whereas the southern tend to be more aggressive. In Hung Ga we also have throws, locks, strikes, kicks, blocks, and takedowns. It works in both the long bridge and short bridge (its primary range). It has elements of ba gua (sp) for ground routines. It has all of the primary weapons (pole, spear, kwan do, broadsword, long sword - not the hoe). It boasts straight line attacks and angular attacks and circular attacks. It has all of the elements of Northern Shaolin Kung Fu.

Shipalohan, you said, "Other kung fu styles just added to the shaolin regimen." That's progress.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    I've studied Hung Ga and Northern Shaolin extensively.

For me, Northern Shaolin is it.

That's because Northern Shaolin has that circular spinning philosophy that gives you the flying mobility to run away, hit using your body's momentum, and fight multiple opponents at once.

I practice Wing Lam's Kuo Yu Cheong kung fu, and I've done some slight personal modifications to the sets to include everything that I've learned from other arts along the way. I can do this with the Northern Shaolin system, I can't always do this with other arts.

I didn't become an effective fighter until I started training Northern Shaolin.

shipalohan Guest
    How can the Hung-gar style be better? It originates from the northern shaolin temple. It is a combination of tiger and crane. A Tiger is a very agressive fighter that goes through oppponents when fighting. A crane redirects, and attacks and attacks untile the assaliant cannot do anything. A leopard fights close, he does not come to you you come to him when fighting, a snake is supple able to wrap itself around an opponent etc. A dragon is all the animals: the wings of the crane, ferociousness of a tiger etc. It is not necessary looking like the animal than acting like the animal.

kenpoman Guest
    "How can the Hung-gar style be better? It originates from the northern shaolin temple."

Isn't this akin to badmouthing a Japanese car considering the source is a Ford? If this is an acceptable argument, then I'd like to introduce Kalarypayat into the discussion....the origin of Northern Shaolin.

Cheers all.

JHWSS Guest
    Whyzyrd,
    I agree with you about progress. Have you ever seen san soo?

Huangkaivun,

I shun you! You could not become an effective until you trainned in NS. Just with my boxing skills I could defend myself well against another fighter. It isnt always the style its the individual.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    NS works for my 5'4" 130 lb body against opponents a foot taller at at least 100 lbs heavier.

I can't say the same for boxing, HG, or any other art I've tried.

But if boxing works for you, go for it!

8stepsifu Guest
    Better than Tai Chi, Ba Gua, Hsing I,Praying Mantis CLF etc? I wouldn't say "THE" best, but its definately one of the better systems out there. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

8Step Sifu

shimera Guest
    different styles work for different ppl. first i'd like to say shaolin kung fu period is superior, to other styles of kung fu and virtually all over MA... but then this is my opinion, and i doupt someone practicing karate would share it.

secondly southern is awsome, but the difference between northern and southern is not that drastic. so grow up.
    and most importantly genius. shoalin kung fu started in the honan temple which is allmost vertically right in the middle of china maybe leaning a little toward south...

kenpoman Guest
    ..."and i doupt someone practicing karate would share it."

You're right!

shimera Guest
    duh, of course i'm not so immature that i can't look at see someone else's point of view.

totallyfrozen Guest

Wow! Well, that settles it then...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have to say that Northern Shaolin kung fu is it. If you know n. shaolin kung fu you know everything because that is where it really started.[/quote]

Uh....ok. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]

"There is only ONE karate"

8stepsifu Guest
    The myth of shaolin is that *poof* it was created overnight to perfection and the myth of bjj and modern mixed MA is that they are doing something new. Shaolin became the best out there for a long time. Now??? I think any one of the talkers here could kick the wushu posers around. Shaolin Style is very good and I think I remember hearing something about Master Sun's hardest fight being against a traditionally trained Shaolin figher. I have a little news for ya. Most of the awesome kung fu practitioners have a daoist attitude. That means they're happy go lucky and don't give a about much. Including ego building over the net. Shut up...practice...we may hear from you again when you develop some skill

8Step Sifu