Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fake Kung Fu?

Originally posted by shenyingwu
    Most arts i've taken, when training for competition reverts to kickboxing so it kinda depends on the fighter(this includes trad. N. S. Kung Fu, Isshn Ryu, or just plain MT)
    No they don't. You can't "revert" to something you can't do. you may think it bears resemlances to kickboxing, but it isn't kickboxing in any way. If I get into the ring and start throwing tornado and butterfly kicks, am I reverting to kung fu?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

No they don't. You can't "revert" to something you can't do. you may think it bears resemlances to kickboxing, but it isn't kickboxing in any way. If I get into the ring and start throwing tornado and butterfly kicks, am I reverting to kung fu?
    Even though I've never had a piano lesson, I can still play "Chopsticks." Just because I've never had a lesson doesn't mean I'm not playing the piano, or even not playing "Chopsticks." My quality of play is a different matter alltogether.

Besides, it's not as if "kickboxing" is some peculiar style or anything. If anything, it's the barest form of any striking art. So, if you've ever trained in striking with kicks, you've got some kickboxing skills.

Kung Fu involves kicking, puncking, locking, and throwing. Kickboxing doesn't allow locking and throwing.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-02-2004 at 01:39 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

BS. The mechanics of the thai roundhouse are quite intricate. In addition, there's defensive strategy, differing footwork, etc. MT has throws. so, looking it it your way, I can punch, kick, throw and say I'm doing bare bones longfist.

and thai boxing does allows sweeps and throws. just not "big" throws, like over the hip throws. whether or not they are scored will depend on the organization.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I don't consider Thai Boxing and kick boxing the same thing, but I could be wrong. Are MT rules that same as your standard Kickboxing match rules?
    so, looking it it your way, I can punch, kick, throw and say I'm doing bare bones longfist.
    As long as you were relaxed while doing it, and didn't hop around, I suppose you could. When it comes down to it, there are only so many different ways you can fight.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 01-02-2004 at 02:04 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    I don't consider Thai Boxing and kick boxing the same thing, but I could be wrong. Are MT rules that same as your standard Kickboxing match rules?

I agree. The same thing applies though. kung fu that's not using it's principles doesn't equal kickboxing. No to the rules question.

When it comes down to it, there are only so many different ways you can fight.

True. Good fighting transcends style.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Shou Shu IS.......KEM/NPO!!!!!
    Just don't go around tellin' everyone or or "Da Shifu" might beat "Da Doo Doo" outta ya'!

Originally posted by cerebus
    Shou Shu IS.......KEM/NPO!!!!!
    Just don't go around tellin' everyone or or "Da Shifu" might beat "Da Doo Doo" outta ya'!
    Actually.... this is Kenpo
    Kenpo Videos

BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Is that Kenpo part of the origianl kajukenbo like with gaylord and ed parker? I bet those vids are hype to get people to join
    Shapeless Like Water

Heh, heh. Looks more like Shou Shu to me!

I don't know about you guys, but I want to get me some of that 'swirling destruction.'
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Mmmm, yeah, me too! A nice, hot cuppa 'Swirling Destruction' would be nice right now.

Not this crap again!!!

Droan...........................ugh.

Heh, heh! Yeah, Shou Shu, it's like a rash that JUST WON'T GO AWAY!

Ok let me rephrase that.

"Oh no, not the crabs again!"