Thread: Predominant Choy Lay Fut

Predominant Choy Lay Fut

What are the main lineages of choy lay fut being taught today and which are they most popular. I know of one, chan what others are there
    Shapeless Like Water

Hung Sing and Buk Sing
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

So there are only 3 main branches of Chow lee fut?
    Shapeless Like Water

Yes as far as I know... however there are other people around here, who are better qualified to answer questions on CLF history.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Yup

The before mentioned 3 branches are the ones one will usually see.
    However, there are other branches or really sub-branches, but those are harder to find and some of them are far removed, as well.

Additionally, when we start talking about branches outside of the "big three", we should remember that all categorizations are within flexible limits and setting those limits is not necessarily done with the same standards every time.
    In other words, to some I look fair (to y'all Americans, at least) whereas here (Finland) I am more on the darker side. It depends...

Which branches did you have in mind?

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

I wouldn't classify this as a branch, but rather as a lineage, the 'Lee Koon Hung' style of Choi Lee Fut is rather popular, and well known.
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

It's one of these situation where public perception is based on what's available. The three main lines out of Hong Kong are Chan Hung Sing, Jeong Hung Sing and Bak Sing. To be fair these really are the "Big Three" anyway, but they are not the be all and end all. For example, there's a derivative of Jeong Hung Sing from Kwongchow that is diffrent from the normal Futsan version, There's the Lee Hin lineage from Toisan, that is similar to Chan Hung Sing, but with a more Sil Lum flavour, and Bak Sing has several distinct lineages within it. Then there are lineages from Malaysia that are wildly different from any of the big 3. I've also seen another distinct line from Futsan, but it was performed by a Jeong Hung Sing guy, so it's hard to give an accurate description.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Lee Koon Hung did Jeong Hung Sing with a few Chan Hung Sing forms as well.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Originally posted by Ben Gash
    It's one of these situation where public perception is based on what's available. The three main lines out of Hong Kong are Chan Hung Sing, Jeong Hung Sing and Bak Sing. To be fair these really are the "Big Three" anyway, but they are not the be all and end all. For example, there's a derivative of Jeong Hung Sing from Kwongchow that is diffrent from the normal Futsan version, There's the Lee Hin lineage from Toisan, that is similar to Chan Hung Sing, but with a more Sil Lum flavour, and Bak Sing has several distinct lineages within it. Then there are lineages from Malaysia that are wildly different from any of the big 3. I've also seen another distinct line from Futsan, but it was performed by a Jeong Hung Sing guy, so it's hard to give an accurate description.
    That's exactly what I mean...

It can get very difficult after a while...

Nonetheless, I guess categorization is a necessary evil, but really, really only to a degree.

I suppose more important is what shenyingwu is looking for and then trying to answer that. Or maybe he was just being curious?

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

a 4th lineage

one family lineage has not been mentioned here. it is the hung sing branch which was used by chan koon pak-chan heungs son. the hung sing they use is called strong victory, while jeong hung sing's means great victory.

there is a belief that chan koon pak didn't learn clf from his father and that jeong hung sing originally taught koon pak. that is why he is naming his school after that of jeong yim and not of his fathers school.

the lineages will differ from school to school since each master will implement his own approaches into what he teaches his own students. so there will be varyances amongst each and every school. what matters most is the essence of clf. that can never be taken away.

so there are about 4 known lineages but only 3 major ones.
    the chan family, jeong yims hung sing kwoon, and tam sams buk sing kwoon. the fourth is koon paks hung sing kwoon.

f
    Fight to win!!!

That is an interesting thought and it would make sense that others past knowledge to each other. I would be interested in seeing ages of Jeong Yim and Chan Kook Pak to see if it is plausible though.

Also why wouldn't he use the same characters as Jeong Yim if he followed him.

It would be interesting to see what Chan Yong Fa's school would say to something like this because they consider themselves Chan Family CLF and Chan Yiu Chi was Koon Pak's son. If there is any truth to this, then who does Chan Heung's style of CLF?

See with no one alive at this time all of this is mere speculation. We can all discuss history until we are blue in the face without actually ever knowing what really happened back then.

Bottom line is CLF is CLF, a branch or a sifu that has 100+ forms is no better (or worse) than a branch or a sifu with 5-10 forms. If one branch has internal forms and others do not, it also doesn't matter. What matters most is do we know how to use our CLF and understand is concepts and principles (gwa, sow, chop, etc..). All our basics are the same and thats what counts and makes us who we are.

Peace.

..well said, Fred.

nospam.

I don't believe I've seen Buk Sing before although I have heard of it. Anyone know where I can download a short clip of Buk Sing? Is it radically different than Hung Sing?

Long time ago I saw CLF that looked completely different from Hung Sing CLF. I think the guy was from BC. Maybe that was Buk Sing.

There's some practise clips on my website..some are done slower than how we would perform them but it'll give you an idea. Check out my bio for the link...maybe one day I'll actually post a performance level clip.

nospam.