Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do you use a backfist a lot?

Maybe I hadn't fought anyone as skilled in tai chi as you.
    I'm as good at TC as a Century Bob or a SD guy. My sparring partner was the one good at TC and SC. His sensitivity to any grab or push on his arms was annoying.

Would this be very effective on a boxing style guard? I'm only asking because it seems to me you'd have to reach pretty high and pretty far to do something like this.
    I can see it if the guard is lower and it's strictly a close in move...
    Exactly right MP. Some TKD and krotty fighters like the cross arm guard at about nipple level to protect their torso, I'd guess a side effect of no head shots amongst other things. It also works on fighters who keep their lead hand at chest level and sticking out. Against a boxer, MT or any guard that the hand is closer to the body and more upright it won't work. It's really an offensive move against someone who is a counter fighter (TKD/American Karate variety) or someone who is hesitent.

the way i learned it in isshinryu was to snap and figure eight the back fist.
    KL, The snap is important, the figure 8 your remembering may be the block along with the backfist. Isshinryu really seems to like using one hand for both the block and initial strike.
    Last edited by rogue; 01-04-2004 at 06:30 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    I think I do not use a backFist. Back hands perhaps. The added area of fingers I can vary the texture of the strike. A backFist I can change the heaviness but it seems somewhat inflexible (to making contact).

I have concern that I disable most to all use of my hand if I disrupt my nuckles by backhand or the bones of the back of my hand.

I No_Know
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

One of my instructors used to regularly break eight untreated roof tiles with a backfist. He was also not awarded points for them in point karate tournaments ("no power") until he "accidentally" flattened a couple of opponents with them.

The "no power" criticism is unjustified, though he told me he'd still rather hit to do damage with a straight right or palm.

Spinnig backfists are often disallowed because they seem to be difficult to control and people seem to get injured. They might be an "inferior" technique, but if the guy outflanks you they might be the best option you have.

I remember an interschool points tournament we had once just for fun, we normally spar medium to full contact. Spinning backfists were against the rules, and my Sifu emphasised this point several times. One of my buds had his round, the guy moved just so, and WHAM, my bud threw a textbook spinning backfist and decked his opponent. There was a collective gasp from the audience. Immediate disqualification, though everyone saw the funny side to it, even the guy he hit.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Anerlich

Well, the criticism isn't "no power" but "relatively less power than other options." However, depending on where you are relative to your target, it may also be your ONLY option, as you mention.

So, they have their place, just like anything else. I stand by my statement that ideally you should position yourself where your best tools will be most effective. Wow, look at me court controversy!

Don't use backfists much myself, except occasionally pretty much as Oso does. I have known a few guys that could get good power from them. I've seen a few people get knocked flat with a stepping/lunging backfist and one guy knocked out cold with a spinning backfist.
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

I think it's a fabulous angle to work, but I think there's alot of options coming out of that angle other than a literal backfist. You can work that same sort of angle with alot more 'stopping power' using either alot of structure and/or with offbalance and manipulation.

Originally posted by rogue
    I used to pull down the lead arm (TKD technique) until my friend who is a Tai chi player would do mean things to me when I did that.
    Tai Chi!? The old man in the park art!?

Just kidding! I think I can picture what you're talking about; good stuff! Did you pick up any taiji methods formally from him (or someone else)?

Originally posted by Merryprankster
    More importantly, I think, is the structure of the backfist. It doesn't actually stop anything. A jab will interrupt forward movement. A backfist will not--it's too easy to fold it up at the elbow.

Not a big fan of it. I suppose it has its uses, but I don't like it...
    That's exactly what I was going to say. And that, while getting backfisted in the cheekbone (for example) isn't fun, it's also not all that serious. Getting jabbed in the nose takes more of a toll (even if the only consequence is a sneezing fit).
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I was talking about using the backfist/backhand motion to defend against strikes. Like instead of just rolling your shoulder into/with his cross... alos throw the backfist into his bicep or floating rib or neck.. or catch his jab and throw your backfist into his incoming cross.. this gets my arm where it needs to be to wrench his forearm and pull him into another punch, wrench his elbow or bicep and take him to the ground, or wrench his neck into some sort of throw.

The backfist is all over the place 'round here.

A common bag/pad drill is jab-cross-hook, backhand with rear hand while you step into the opposite lead (roll cross into backfist..) follow from the new lear with a cross hook cross or similar. The backfist is used to check or destroy or otherwise hold the line while the other big gun comes smashing through.

strike!

Yeah, the backfist is good for initiating contact. That's true.

Besides, sometimes your hands just aren't where they need to be to throw a jab. Good to be able to throw something from that angle. And the backfist is pretty versatile.

But the lack of 'stop hit' in it does mean I don't use it as much as I used to.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    soooo......

a lot of people use it while recognizing that it is a quick, low-power strike utilized to set up stronger follow up strikes...

...while some people don't like it at all because the jab fulfills the same spot in their toolbox.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I guess the jab fulfills the same spot in a general sense. But now that I'm thinking more about it, there are some specialized uses for the backfist.

I'm thinking of the gunting, in particular.

Cool story. I've heard stories before where a challenger knew he was defeated, and gave up before he was hurt.

Low power?

ohhhhhhhhhhh.k.

No CLF players to defend the mighty gwa choy? and been choy?
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity