Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "revert to kickboxing"

Reply to Abel: Sorry, I was referring to the "reverting to brawling" thing.
    As for reverting to kickboxing, if much of your past training in full contact fighting has been in kickboxing (much of mine has), and you're trying to increase your ability in something like Hsing-I which doen't really have any kickboxing-like techniques (not like any kickboxing I've ever seen anyway), and you are trying to use only your Hsing-I techniques, then there is still a strong possibility that once your opponent puts you in danger of getting pounded on, you might revert to your kickboxing.
    This isn't just a hypothetical situation. Much of my past full contact training has been boxing, kickboxing & san shou. Right now I'm trying to develop my abilities in the Hsing-I I've been training in for the past year. One of the things I've done to help make the Hsing-I more a part of myself is to fight in full contact Hsing-I matches at my school/ association's annual event.
    Many people say "Why worry about whether it's Hsing-I or kickboxing, as long as it works." In a real fight, yes I agree, anything goes. But I'm already a decent fighter (well, I can defend myself pretty well). I'm not yet a decent Hsing-I practitioner, though, and my goal is to further develop my abilities in this art.
    Therefore, I did not want to "revert" to kickboxing.
    And I was very successful (both at sticking to my Hsing-I and at defending against my opponents, Hsing-I works very well). Peace.

Oh yeah,
    Reply to Vash: "Go on, kick me in the junk!"

Its obvious you are putting the cart before the horse. You can't force yourself just to be a certain way. A fight flows. The only thing you can really do is go with what manifests. If at some time you strike and a hsing-i based move appears then, bingo, you've just used it.

Right now your hsing-i is the way it is because its a forced issue, a new word in a foreign language. When you can say it naturally is when it will sound right.

I don't think people revert to kickboxing, so much as they revert to boxing (their cultural reference point for fighting) and know how to kick.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

3 new martial IFs

GAISF President Raffaele Chiulli welcomes six new IOC recognised International Sports Federations
    July 20, 2021
    GAISF President Raffaele Chiulli praised the six International Sports Federations (IFs) who were granted full International Olympic Committee (IOC) recognition at today’s IOC Session. The six fully recognised IFs granted full IOC recognition at the 138th IOC Session in Tokyo, Japan, are as follows:

♦ The International Cheerleading Union (ICU)

♦ The International Federation of Muaythai Associations (IFMA)

♦ The International Sambo Federation (FIAS)

♦ The International Federation Icestocksport (IFI)

♦ The World Association of Kickboxing Organisations (WAKO)

♦ World Lacrosse (WL)

GAISF President Chiulli said:

“This is a historic day for the global sports community and an incredible milestone for each of these respective sports. Today’s decision will provide a major boost for each of these now fully recognised IFs to continue to grow their sports around the world. GAISF will continue to provide its expertise and support throughout the next stage of their journeys, in addition to the ongoing support provided by ARISF and AIMS.”

As a service to our readers, Around the Rings will provide verbatim texts of selected press releases issued by Olympic-related organizations, federations, businesses and sponsors.

These press releases appear as sent to Around the Rings and are not edited for spelling, grammar or punctuation.
    Hold the phone...cheerleading?

threads
    Tokyo-Olympics
    Muay-Thai
    And we don't have a basic Kickboxing thread so I'm using this one: revert-to-kickboxing
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart