Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: updates

updates

January 5, 2004
    Friday night, James, Nicole, and I got together at the Third Power gym for a little boxing practice. We took some video as well, listed at the bottom of the video clips menu, under KFM DC Metro Meeting.

James has encouraged me to makes some smartass comment about him nearly slipping out of the ring. But given the number of times he manages to hammer me in the bread basket coupled with the likelihood of us later getting footage of me inadvertently kicking myself in the teeth, I won't be casting any stones of that sort.

I'm wearing the blue t-shirt and green shorts. James is... well, the other one.
    www.apoweyn.net/martialarts/index.htm
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    "Est time remaining: 2 hours 12 minutes"

stupid work computer

guess I'll wait till I get home.

btw, went crazy of the holidays and ordered a new computer WITH a video capture card. so, as soon as my girl builds it for me I'll have some mo stuff.

FEBRUARY15th ?????
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Well, your girlfriend put together a badarse looking website. Looking forward to seeing more of it.

As for this video, it's full of Stuart-pummeling fun. ("Fun" being relative to whether or not you're Stuart.)

Stuart

So did you gugys just punch each other the whole time?

strike!

Originally posted by yenhoi
    So did you gugys just punch each other the whole time?

Yep. MP's still rehabing his shoulder from a recent judo injury. So we decided to just work boxing. Worked out for me too, because while I'm an avid kicker, my cardio is miserable right now. And I'd have tanked even sooner if we'd been kicking.

forgot about MP's shoulder.

MP, do you think you'll be healed up by 2-15? If not, I'd rather put the trip off till you're healed. Rolling with you would be the highlight, I think.

Not that I won't enjoy getting sweaty with you Ap.

yep, she just built herself a pretty nice machine. mine will be a little less nice but still 2-3 times what I have now.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

No, I see how it is Oso. I'm KFM's ugly duckling. I can take the truth. *sniffle*

Since yenhoi's analysis got left behind on the other thread:

Its neat to see mp standing up.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking at the time. If by "neat" you mean "holy sh*t, here he comes!"

You seem to be weighted on your rear leg, rarely moving forward (or anywhere) for very long, and you move directly away from whatever strike he is throwing every single time. You also throw your jab from too far away.
    I think that's a combination of two things. 1) MP's a well conditioned and well trained combat athlete. I'd be lying if I said that intimidation didn't play a large part. 2) I'm very poorly conditioned at the moment. And my footwork went to hell pretty quickly. Notions of angles, zoning, etc., were the first to get jettisoned when I ran out of gas. Regrettably, they were about the most valuable things I could have hung on to.

*shrug*

Woulda, shoulda, coulda.

I like it when he keeps hitting you with his cross, then moves in and hits you with a corss hook hook several times.
    Yeah, I enjoyed that too.

Seriously, he had some nice combinations. But he also did a really good job of finding the gaps. In the beginning of the evening (not taped), I was going to the body a lot. And he was countering to my head. In the last match (the one on tape), I was headhunting and taking a lot of body shots for my trouble.

Good stuff. Did you guys just sparr or did you work anything for anythung?
    We worked the focus mitts a bit to warm up, did some sparring, and then worked the bag a little as well. James' better half was there as well. They worked on quite a bit of technique stuff.

(Did he just beat you up all the time?)
    Yes.

Stuart B.
    Last edited by apoweyn; 01-05-2004 at 10:21 AM.

If you were a Kung Fu Master, you wouldn't need any cardio, Ap

Originally posted by Water Dragon
    If you were a Kung Fu Master, you wouldn't need any cardio, Ap
    Yeah, I know.

As is, my qi comes in a small inhaler.

No, I see how it is Oso. I'm KFM's ugly duckling. I can take the truth. *sniffle*
    lol, no...I think I got you there.

Originally posted by Oso

lol, no...I think I got you there.
    Well, my aspiration is to be a little less of a heavy bag by the time the next DC KFM meeting rolls around.

just saw the clip

Ap, you box better than I do, fwiw.

hey, just keep my motto in mind:

It's not how well the bear dances
    but that he dances at all.

Originally posted by Oso
    just saw the clip

Ap, you box better than I do, fwiw.
    Worth a lot. Cheers Oso.

hey, just keep my motto in mind:

It's not how well the bear dances
    but that he dances at all.

Wise bear. Yeah, I wasn't particularly pleased with my performance obviously. But like you said, getting on the dance floor is a good start.

"He picks his big foot up, He puts his big foot down..."

I can't believe this personally. Here's an opportunity for people to tell us how awful our footwork and punching is and nobody bites

Man, you need a better thread title. Like "See MP fall over." Or something.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli