Thread: what happens if you don't breath during push ups and other exercises?

what happens if you don't breath during push ups and other exercises?

no message

Holding your breath while exerting muscular effort is known as the "Valsalva manuver." It's generally a bad idea because it significantly increases your blood pressure while you're doing it. If you have already high blood pressure it's definately a bad idea. If you have normal blood pressure it's still a bad idea.

There are very few times when it's beneficial to do this, and doing pushups is not one of those times. In fact, the majority of people will never need to do this.

So remember, while breathing during exercises, exhale as you go against gravity. So for pushups, it's inhale as you go down, exhale as you push yourself back up. Of course, you don't have to inhale and exhale 1 for 1 with every rep. But don't hold your breath.

Same thing with bench press... inhale as you lower the weight, exhale as you raise it. Squat: inhale as you're going down, exhale as you come up. Pullups: Exhale as you pull yourself up, inhale in the way down. I think you get it now.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

You explode if you hold your breath too long.

Just to add to IF's post, remember to keep tight even when exhaling and inhaling. Never allow your muscles to relax.

100% correct about blood pressure going through the roof, but your blood will also become increasingly hypoxic while holding your breath and you can pass out with little warning.

that, and if you don't pass out, you'll at least wind up with a really nasty headache.
    Last edited by rubthebuddha; 01-06-2004 at 09:41 AM.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

And think about it, if you pass out while doing pushups your face might fall right into the floor and it would totally suck to wake up with a broken nose.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

not to mention blood stains on mom's new carpeting. cause she'd break more than just your nose.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Just to add to this...

I was getting a slight headache during push-ups in class...and I shirked push-ups at home for the same reason. I asked my teacher what he thought might be up. "Are you breathing?", was his first question.
    How ridiculous! Of COURSE I was...or I thought so until I started paying attention. Turns out I was taking quick gasps just at the top. It's one of those things that makes no sense, I KNEW better from lifting weights...sports I've played...forms I know...but there you have it. I'd just never reviewed the way I did a push-up with breathing in mind.

Been a good life lesson for me, as I pay a lot more attention to my breathing in everything I do now.
    Keep it simple, stupid.