Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yellow/Black Jumpsuit

ttt 4 2018!

The official version.

YELLOW/BLACK MEN'S WARM-UP PANTS

$34.95 $39.95

A Bruce Lee Official Store Exclusive! Bruce Lee. Black and Yellow. ‘Nuff said. As a tip of the cap to Bruce’s timeless style and iconic yellow jumpsuit, we’ve given you a super-soft poly/cotton fleece blend tailored sweatpants. Perfect for working out or lounging at home. 52% cotton/48% polyester.

Make it a complete set with matching FULL-ZIP HOODIE!

**A portion of the proceeds from all merchandise purchased in the Bruce Lee Official Store benefits The Bruce Lee Foundation.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Onitsuka Tiger

From the ground up
    Facebook Instagram
    Onitsuka Tiger’s SS19 Collection Channels the Legendary Bruce Lee

Onitsuka Tiger

By Fabian Gorsler in Style 2 hours ago

Designer: Onitsuka Tiger

Season: SS19

Key Pieces: The Kill Bill-style yellow and black tracksuit (slide 9) has a very obvious source of inspiration and brings back memories of Bruce Lee rocking Onitsuka Tiger.

Editor’s Notes: Onitsuka Tiger, under the creative direction of designer Andrea Pompilio, showed its SS19 lineup in Tokyo recently. The highlight of the event, which showcased both apparel and footwear, was the Bruce Lee-inspired tracksuit mentioned above. In addition, we were given a great look at what’s to come from the Japanese brand. Check out imagery from the show above.

Highsnobiety’s Footwear Editor, Chris Danforth, had the chance to sit down with Onitsuka Tiger Creative Director Andrea Pompilio to discuss the new collection and more.

On his first memory of Onitsuka Tiger

I think the first memory is of Bruce Lee wearing that iconic tracksuit.

On the key themes of the SS19 collection

I think it’s a very unique collection. In this collection there is a melting pot of different cultures. There’s the Japanese because Onitsuka Tiger is one of the the biggest and strongest and oldest companies in sportswear. On the other side, there is a European mentality in the form of me bringing over all my experience, but especially my Italian or European taste. So these two things, they are melting pot to create a new world.

Onitsuka Tiger
    On how the partnership evolved from collaboration to collection

We’ve been collaborating for probably four or five years, so now I thought it was time to grow from both sides. At the moment, that’s the reason why we moved to a different level [of collaboration], so now I’m a little bit of a coordinator of all the projects at Onitsuka Tiger.

On deciding which sneakers to include in the footwear offering

There is one part of the collection that is completely redesigned and new. Those we call a seasonal collection of shoes. But there is another collection, almost like 75 to 80 percent of the entire collection, that is made up of historical pieces. These historical designs have been changed completely because we change details, color, and materials. Most of the shoes you see [above] are one of Onitsuka Tiger’s first basketball shoes, I think from the fifties, but we’re recoloring them and putting a new patch on everything. So these look like completely different sneakers, but in reality, the design is straight from the fifties.

On his favorite piece from the collection

I’ve always loved the one piece tracksuit, it looks straight out of a Kill Bill movie. I love that material because I remember when I was a child, the polyester was used by everybody in sportswear. But at the same time, I think it’s a piece that represents this company so well, which is why I really love it.

On the obvious Bruce Lee references

I always love that, in any season, we try to make references like this. Even when we started this collaboration, I think the main color we use — even for the label — was a strong yellow transparent paper with Onitsuka Tiger branding. So since the beginning, for me, the main color of this company is that iconic that black and Onitsuka Tiger yellow. Sorry, I mean the Kill Bill yellow.
    I love Bruce's iconic jumpsuit but this isn't something I'd wear.

Well, maybe. If I got one free.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A 2003 throwback on SCMP

Kung Fu
    What happens when Bruce Lee jeet kune do disciple in jumpsuit meets ‘Muay Thai’ fighter in the ring?
    Tony Valente tests his supposed jeet kune do skills in a fight against karateka Takayuki Kohiruimaki
    The 2003 fight for Japanese kick-boxing promotion K-1 causes stir on social media after resurfacing
    Nicolas Atkin
    Published: 10:00am, 14 Aug, 2019

Tony Valente (left) fights Takayuki Kohiruimaki for K-1 in Japan in 2003. Photos: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns
    It’s an age-old question – how would Bruce Lee fare in a professional fight?

The martial arts icon actually had one official fight, aged 17 against Gary Elms in a boxing bout in 1958 at St George’s School Gymnasium in Hong Kong.
    The rest has been left to the imaginations of martial arts fans – though a supposed disciple of Lee’s famed jeet kune do style did once test his skills against a supposed “Muay Thai” fighter.
    In 2003, Tony Valente – dressed in full Bruce Lee-style yellow jumpsuit – took on Takayuki “Taishin” Kohiruimaki, a skilled kyokushin karateka, for the Japanese kick-boxing promotion K-1 in 2003.

Takayuki wore traditional Thai ring gear to make it look like a clash of styles, but he’s obviously more trained in karate – which explains why he has no idea how to punch in the Muay Thai style.
    In the first round, Valente throws a few good sidekicks and spinning outside kicks, as Takayuki tries to figure out his opponent’s strange style.

Tony Valente’s strange style gave Takayuki Kohiruimaki a few problems.

He starts to get within Valente’s range to land some punches to the body and head. But the American continuously switches between stances and throws a few spinning backfists, with Takayuki seemingly hesitant to jab as he peppers Valente’s thighs with kicks.
    Late in the second round, though, Takayuki drops Valente with a kick to the left side of the body. But Valente gets to his feet – and so does the crowd, anticipating a finish.
    It doesn’t come immediately, with Valente surviving the rest of the second round. But Takayuki drops him again 50 seconds into the third round with another kick to the body and the referee waves it off.

Takayuki Kohiruimaki walks away after dropping Tony Valente with a body kick.

“Poor example of JKD [jeet kune do], this looked more like a guy with purely a TKD [taekwondo] background that wore a Bruce Lee suit just to stand out,” said one commenter on the video, which was posted on YouTube by Fight Commentary Breakdowns.
    “I think Takayuki took a little while to figure out how to deal with Valente’s style,” another commenter wrote. “Which he did: wait ’til Valente switches to southpaw, then throw the right rear-leg round kick to the body.”
    “Tony Valente is fake,” said another. “His style is not JKD. His style is kick-boxing. He is just a troll trying to be a JKD fighter.”
    THREADS
    Yellow/Black Jumpsuit
    Jeet Kune Do
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Xuan Wu v Tan Long

This one is slightly OT for Xu Xiaodong because it's not him (he's only mentioned) but very 'on topic' for our Yellow/Black Jumpsuit thread.

Of course, Tan Long was the name of Bruce Lee's character in Way of the Dragon. Anyone else notice the height difference between the 'fighters'?

SPORTS
    Another Chinese MMA fighter knocks out ‘fake’ kung fu master
    Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns
    by Nick Atkin

Chinese mixed-martial arts fighter Xuan Wu has followed in the footsteps of his friend and fellow MMA fighter Xu Xiaodong by knocking out a “fake” kung fu master – in 12 seconds.

Xu, 41, has made a name for himself in the past few years by winning bouts against self-proclaimed practitioners of kung fu, or Chinese martial arts, in high-profile matches.

His challenge to old-school kung fu masters was interpreted in China as an act of defiance against traditional martial arts.

This time, the challenger was a man called Tan Long. He said he was representing the wing chun style of fighting. He was dressed in a yellow jumpsuit similar to the one martial arts icon Bruce Lee wore in the film Game of Death.

Tan had challenged Xuan Wu, a fighter name which translates to “Black Tortoise,” to the fight in a trash-talking video on social media, saying he would put up 1 million yuan.

The fight took place in a boxing ring in early August in the middle of a shopping center in Yinchuan, capital of the Ningxia autonomous region in northwest China.

According to footage of the fight, Tan threw a half-hearted flying jump kick at the start of the bout before running away.

Xuan Wu chases Tan Long, dressed in the yellow jumpsuit in homage to Bruce Lee, across the ring. Photo: YouTube/Fight Commentary Breakdowns

Xuan Wu quickly cornered his opponent against the ropes and threw a right high kick to stun him, followed by a left high kick to the head which sent Tan to the canvas and ended proceedings.

Xuan celebrated wildly, performing a standing backflip in the ring, all while Tan continued to lie flat on his back on the ground.

At Xuan’s last fight, the outspoken Xu had watched from ringside as he beat another supposed wing chun master, Li Feng, at a shopping mall in April.

In that fight, which was bare knuckle with only wraps, Wu used just his left arm and left leg to easily beat the wing chun fighter.

Nick Atkin
    Nicolas is a contributor to Inkstone. He is a production editor on the South China Morning Post's sport desk and was previously a sports writer for ESPN.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Yellow/Black Jumpsuit

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Kung Fu All-Star VR

January 6, 2020 Griffin Streeter 0
    Get Your Karate On In ‘Kung Fu All-Star VR’
    Get Your Karate On In ‘Kung Fu All-Star VR’

Get ready to say “Kung Fu fighting” as Kung Fu All-Star VR is coming to the immersive platform.

Created by InterServ International, this martial arts game allows you to experience what Kung Fu is all about. Users will be able to utilize the famous nunchuks to beat down your enemies. While you might not be Bruce Lee, this game will allow you to spin the deadly weapon to accurately hit your opponents.

In the trailer you can see how explosive these nunchucks are and how the swing of your weapons truly take down the opponents. The opponents range in difficulty with the minions being easy to kill. The bosses of course will take some beating before you can defeat them.

The game is still in early access and more information can be found on their Steam page. The game is set to debut on both the HTC Vive and Valve Index.
    I will forgive the "get your karate on" title because of the jumpsuit nunchuck hottie (follow the Steam page link for more vids of her)

THREADS
    What video games create the best fighters?
    Yellow/Black Jumpsuit
    Nunchuck Hotties
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

This tiny article pales in comparison to our thread here...

Every Movie Reference To Bruce Lee’s Yellow Jumpsuit
    Bruce Lee's famous yellow jumpsuit in Game Of Death became iconic in its own right, with movies like Kill Bill paying homage to it.
    BY PADRAIG COTTER
    NOV 22, 2019

Bruce Lee's yellow jumpsuit from Game Of Death became iconic in its own right, so here are some other movies that paid homage to it. Before his untimely death at the age of 32, Bruce Lee had already become a cinematic icon. Lee was a famed martial artist and teacher and had high-profile students such as Chuck Norris, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Steve McQueen. This led to his first television role as Kato on Green Hornet, with the character also making guest appearances on the Batman TV show.

Bruce Lee's first starring role came with 1971's The Big Boss and he quickly followed up with Fist Of Fury and Way Of The Dragon, both of which were released in 1972. The popularity of these films led to Warner Brothers producing his most famous film Enter The Dragon, which is considered one of the greatest martial arts films ever made; sadly, Lee would pass away before it's release. The actor had also started production on another Hong Kong film called Game Of Death, which he was also directing. Lee had shot a large chunk of the film's final, which saw his character progressing up a pagoda and facing a new challenger on each floor, including one played by basketball star Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Bruce Lee paused production on Game Of Death to make Enter The Dragon and had planned to meet former Bond star George Lazenby about a role in the film prior to his death. Reports had already spread of Lee filming some of Game Of Death, so Golden Harvest hired Enter The Dragon director Robert Clouse to make a film around this footage. This resulted in 1978's Game Of Death, which only used around ten minutes of footage shot by Lee, with lookalikes in disguises playing his character for the rest of the movie. In spite of the very mixed reception of the released version, Lee's famed yellow and black jumpsuit became instantly iconic.

Numerous movies, TV shows, and video games have paid homage to this outfit, including Tekken and The Last Of Us. Movie homages have been especially prominent, with the most famous being Uma Thurman's yellow and black suit in Kill Bill: Volume 1, which gets splattered with blood as she fights the Crazy 88. It was far from the first, with a couple of Bruce Lee exploitation movies like 1978's Enter The Game Of Death, also using this costume.

The character of Toshiro dons one in Revenge Of The Nerds, main character Leroy wears a yellow and black jumpsuit in 1985's The Last Dragon, and Jet Li's very Die Hard-inspired action movie High Risk features a pampered movie star played by Jacky Cheung also wears one in the finale. Finally, a goalkeeper in 2001 comedy Shaolin Soccer wears a very Game Of Death-themed jumpsuit.

Got Game T-shirt
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Reebok Shaq Attag

Kung-Fu Vibes Take Over The Reebok Shaq Attaq Modern
    May 22, 2020

Ahead of the forthcoming TV documentary that will honor history’s greatest martial artist, Reebok has revived that Reebok Shaq Attaq Modern from 2017.
    This colorway of the model is a nod to the kung-fu legend and footwear worn in the iconic ‘70s films. Inspired by Shaquille O’Neal’s affinity for martial arts. Reebok has also pulled from the archive an original 1992 Shaq Attaq advertisement and reworked the piece specifically for the revival of Reebok Shaq Attaq Modern. The Yellow and Black Reebok Shaq Attaq Modern is available in very limited quantities for $160 exclusively at Reebok.com. Don’t sleep!
    THREADS
    Bruce-Lee-shoes
    Yellow Jumpsuit
    Shaq
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Slightly OT

Spain GT not
    America-s-Got-Talent. We have a Britain GT thread which has more posts but no Spain one yet - maybe I should just merge them all.

threads
    Yellow-Black-Jumpsuit
    Yin-shou-gun
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Removing the most cards with a nunchaku in one minute without toppling the bottles

Who thinks up these records now? I didn't even know that removing the most cards with a nunchaku in one minute without toppling the bottles was a thing...
    Two sticks and a cord to set world records

Lu Feiran
    17:11 UTC+8, 2021-04-07

People
    In a yoga gym in Songjiang District, a row of bottles is lined up on a table. Pairs of them are balanced on their lips, with a playing card in between.

Martial arts coach Xie Desheng is warming up at the table, with a nunchaku in his hands. He is about to challenge the Guinness World Record for removing the most cards with a nunchaku in one minute without toppling the bottles.

He set a record last August by removing 14 cards. In February, Pakistani Muhammad Rashid superseded that feat with 19 cards removed.

Nunchaku, which originated on the Japanese island of Okinawa, is a martial arts weapon that consists of two sticks linked together at one end by a short chain or cord. The weapon was popularized by Bruce Lee in kung fu movies.

“Lee is my hero,” Xie says. “In fact, he is my virtual nunchaku mentor.”

The timer starts. Xie holds a nunchaku in his right hand and waves it rapidly toward the cards. A counter calls out the number of cards removed without toppling the carefully balanced bottles. The scene is tense because the stick at any moment might hit a bottle. If that happens, Xie has to start all over again.

Eventually, he manages to hit 20 cards in a minute without breaking a bottle.

“New record!” Xie shouts out in excitement.

Two sticks and a cord to set world recordsHu Jun / SHINE
    Xie hits playing cards clamped between bottles with a nunchaku to set a new world record.

He will send the video to Guinness and expects to get a certificate in months.

Nunchaku, sometimes called “chuka sticks” or “karate sticks,” was originally a weapon of self-defense. It has now evolved into a sport of stunts — using the device to hit ping pong balls volleyed by a robot, to remove bottle caps, to snuff out candles and to smash walnuts, always in a prescribed time, usually one minute.

The device has spawned nunchaku sports clubs across the world, though its use is restricted in Norway, Canada, Spain, Chile and several other countries.

Born in the city of Chaozhou of the southern province of Guangdong in 1992, Xie left his hometown at 15 after his father died and mother left home. He didn’t want to burden his uncle by staying with him, so he went to bigger cities in the province looking for work.

He took jobs in factories and restaurants, but his life trajectory changed when a roommate introduced him to nunchaku. Xie’s interest was aroused.

After work, he often went to Internet bars to watch Lee’s movies, especially excerpts with nunchaku maneuvers. Then he would practice the moves from a video at home. As there was no explanation of the moves, Xie could only watch closely and duplicate his idol’s movements — again and again.

“The beginning was really tough,” he says. “I don’t remember how many times I hurt my head with nunchaku while training, and there were bruises all over my body.”

He went to gyms to improve the strength and tried to use nunchaku to do other weapons’ stunts.

“I believe that different types of martial arts communicate with each other well,” he says. “For example, I could do the movements of a cudgel with a nunchaku and vice versa. Practicing on one improves the other.”

It was obvious that Xie had a gift for it. Before long, his friends recommended he take part in various martial arts competitions. He went to Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan and Malaysia, winning several trophies, mostly on nunchaku.

The victories brought about dramatic changes in his life. He became a minor Internet celebrity and a martial arts coach. He travels around China, teaching in various places, and does training sessions for the Shanghai armed police.

Invitations to variety shows came with the fame. He remembers the first show where he appeared, called “Let Dream Fly.” It aired on a channel in the eastern province of Shandong Province several years ago. He admits he was nervous.

“For one thing, my hometown could receive the channel, so all my acquaintances there could see me on TV,” he says. “And for another thing, what I was going to do was very challenging, even dangerous.”

It was a William Tell sort of challenge, using a nunchaku instead of a crossbow to remove an apple from the head of a volunteer. It was difficult to find any people who were willing to rehearse the stunt with him, for obvious reasons.

“I was also worried that someone might try to imitate what I did on the stage,” he admits, with a laugh.

More show invitations and competitions followed. Xie felt stuck. The trophies no longer brought gratification. He was puzzled about how he could further challenge himself.

The Guinness World Records provided that challenge.

“You know, nowadays most martial arts competitions are judged by your movements rather than how well you can fight,” he says. “Most of the time you don’t even know which move you made to win a trophy. But the Guinness records are different. You can track your improvement through very straightforward numbers. It gave me very clear goals that I could challenge.”

His first record was set in Shanghai when he managed to snuff out flames on 52 candles with nunchaku in a minute, without knocking down the candles.

Then he learned a table tennis stunt with nunchaku, just like his idol Bruce Lee once did. He set a record for the most balls hit, with 35 in one minute.

Two sticks and a cord to set world recordsCourtesy of Xie Desheng
    Xie poses with one of his Guinness World Record certificate.

“That was probably one of the most difficult challenges for me,” he says. “The sticks are thinner than a table tennis ball, and it feels much less solid waving a nunchaku than a ping pong paddle. After long practice, the motions became a kind of muscle memory.”

Not all challenges have ended in success. Last year in Beijing, Xie tried to open 10 beer bottles with nunchaku but failed.

The disappointing performance came in front of a large audience and local journalists.

“They asked me: ‘Will you be back again?’ And I said: ‘I’ll get up where I fell over,’” Xie says.

“A month later, I went back to Beijing and finished the challenge.”

Source: SHINE Editor: Zhang Liuhao
    Yellow & Black Zebra Chucks

threads
    Martial-Arts-World-Records-and-Stunts
    http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/...Black-Jumpsuit
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Technical skill is mastery of complexity, while creativity is mastery of simplicity.

Phil Wang's Best Taskmaster Moments

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips