Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Karate TEKKI forms and Mixed Martiat arts

Karate TEKKI forms and Mixed Martiat arts

Greetings,

I was looking at a mixed martial art tape and I noticed that many of the moves from the top mount resemble quite a few moves from the Tekki forms of karate. Considering that the forms are done from a horse stance, do you think that fighting from the top mount may have been one of its uses in the past?

mickey

I thought that form teaches how to milk an okinawan cow when you have no stool....?

What exactly are you asking? Do you want to know what the secret moves are in the forms?

Hello Truewrestler,

I am not looking for secrets. It was just an observation. I was just wondering if anyone else noticed. It may be just that there are only so many ways arms can move.

mickey

explain the movement

Hi,

Certain moves. For example, I observed the holding the opponent's arm across his body (left pulling left) to strike with the right resembles the simultaneous punch/hook punch in one of the tekki forms. Another would be the arm lock/elbow break position that can be used to roll the person over. I am not a MMA, but I did see something, a connective.

mickey

Just curious,

why ask about karate stuff on a Kung Fu forum ??

Kung Fu? This is a MMA/Politics forum.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by Chinwoo-er
    Just curious,

why ask about karate stuff on a Kung Fu forum ??
    Come off it, Chinwooer. When was the last time you remember this place being strictly kung fu? There are lots of non-CMA discussions here.

Sheesh.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Well, all that other stuff, like fencing, Karate, MMA, BJJ, etc... should be posted in ORA.

Technically, at least.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Greetings,

I posted in this forum because this is where the MMA guys like to hang out. This is their "bar and lounge", so to speak. And I wanted their feedback. I did manage to answer my question, though; any upright fighting method can mma applications if one is diligent enough to look for it. I think that was the lesson for me to experience when I was watching that video.

I did not mean to create any commotion.

Best regards to you all,

mickey

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Well, all that other stuff, like fencing, Karate, MMA, BJJ, etc... should be posted in ORA.

Technically, at least.
    Yeah, technically you're absolutely right. And I was all for ORA becoming the new "general" forum. But it never really seemed to take off.

Besides, activity here has slowed down a lot too, it seems. If there's another campaign to eject people not directly discussing kung fu, there won't be a whole lot left here.

You think?
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

you could also practice the art with the moves you are trying to find hidden in karate forms
    Originally posted by mickey
    Greetings,

I posted in this forum because this is where the MMA guys like to hang out. This is their "bar and lounge", so to speak. And I wanted their feedback. I did manage to answer my question, though; any upright fighting method can mma applications if one is diligent enough to look for it. I think that was the lesson for me to experience when I was watching that video.

I did not mean to create any commotion.

Best regards to you all,

mickey

Yes Truewrestler!

That will be done. Thank you.

mickey

If I remember correctly, the Tekki katas are called Naihanchi in the Okinawan martial arts. If so, there are alot of groundfighting applications in them. Whether they were deliberately put there origanally, I can't say, but there are only so many logical ways for the human body to move.

Try working some of the moves from the guard or when mounted also. The sidesteps in the kata can be interpreted as various turnover moves.

Have fun!
    Big egos are fragile.

Where the violent see only violence, the skillfull can see skill.

"You cannot solve a problem with the same level of thinking that existed when it was created." Albert Einstein

Cheese Dog has applied a vertical backfist to the correct and followed up with a double-leg takedown onto hot pavement covered in broken glass.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.