Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you look while fighting.

When in striking/outside range, I look mainly at his chest and shoulders, or his hips, depending on my level and what I'm planning on doing.

Once I've clinched, if I'm looking at anything, I'm usually looking at his feet. I can feel what his arms are doing; I can't always tell what position his feet are in without looking.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

..... and if hes a better kicker than you? longer legs? all very well keeping him at range but if he can mess you up from there its rather pointless dont you think?
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

oh ok, so what youre saying is that I should look at their feet but only if im fighting a replicant of myself, or beating up some children. you still didnt answer my original question of "what if hes bigger than you are"
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Originally posted by sc_guy
    Why you would think the size will make any difference here? Of course if his arm is longer than your leg then that's different story. I assume you are familiar with the "chain kick".
    well what the hell do you think I mean? jesus this is frustrating. unless he is some kind of deformity, someone taller than you is gonna have longer reach than you. in this situation I would be trying to get inside his area to nullify his reach, instead of looking at his feet. yet again you have side stepped my question which is starting to make me think you have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

and I have a vague idea of what you mean by chain kicking, but if you could expand on it, that would be dandy.

well, first i try to find the flock of turtles as indicated by my opponents pointing and exclaming techniques, then, -stars-. I look at the stars for a while.

Kung Fu is good for you.

i scan.
    where's my beer?

I look at the back of my hands as I'm holding them up, then I either look at the ceiling or the pool of beer and blood my nose is in depending on which way up I've landed.

Or I look at his nuts, to alarm him.

Or I look past his left shoulder. This makes him think you are crazy and gives you enough with your peripheral vision. Plus, for most right handed people, staring to your right and down a bit is the neural programming trigger for intense concentration, and your right and up a bit is for new and funky concepts, so if you get it in between, you should fight like a movie star!!! Alternatively, a bit to either side, with your forehead pointed at your opponent, should trigger the best of your peripheral vision, and wide-range perception like listening which will help you determine environmental conditions like buddies approaching etc.

Or his throat, the top of his chest, the middle of his forehead. Puts some people off and gives you a good view peripherally.

Or in his eyes. At the start of the confrontation and the first second or two in, if you have that look. If you are good at convincing yourself you're not scared, this can be good, or alternatively, if you are really scared and you look it, the human factor can sometimes stump them temporarily while you kick em in the nuts or pull out the lowest trick you can... bwuhahaha, they'll have plenty of time to consider never trusting another human in the nick!!!

The first two were joking. The rest are surprisingly serious: based on experience, things I've read, and things I've been taught by LEOs.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

BTW, I do somewhat agree that one of the many effective places to look can be the lead leg as SC Guy says, but personally, I don't like looking down.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

You still look at his face and just use the bottom of your eyes to look at his knee so he won't know your intention.
    oh that was it? well why didnt you just say you're actually looking where everyone else looks. suprisingly enough, everyone else here can see their opponents knees when they look at their chest- the whole point is that you can see each limb. thanks for taking ages to answer my question btw.

- Strong fire can viperate water.
    - Strong wood can break metal sword.
    - Heavy water can wash away dirt.
    - Mud slide can take down trees.
    - Lots of metal pieces can put off water.
    first of all viperate isnt a word and second of all what is that supposed to mean apart from stating the obvious- gee would never of guessed that tonnes and tonnes of mud sliding down a hill could break down some trees. if you're going to make up some mystical chinese crap at least make it sound decent.

Don't understand what you mean!
    He means your "third" leg.

Sc_guy, I agree with you on why to keep them out of your defending space, but you can do more than kick or close. You can also fient to draw them in. Minor point, I know, but still a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

the only place to look is center of opponents chest Your able to see every aspect of His/Her movements, without loosing any peripherial vision.

you look right at the sternum you can see head, shoulders, chest hips, and legs. No need to look anywhere else.

Salute,
    Fear Makes You Hesitate, Make Fear Your Allie and Make Your Enemy Hesistate!

I usually look at the face/eyes. Never had a problem seeing body/limb movement, but I guess my peripheral vision is pretty good. I guess as you move into closer range, looking at the chest makes a lot of sense.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Waist to collarbone, The trunk.

Lol at Ikken!

SC Guy's first language may not be English and he would probably be just as happy eating your face for an omelet as shaking hands with you.

For real.

SC-Guy,

Don't get mad, everybody on the internet thinks they are Gwan Gong.

As to where I look? I look down , I don't want to stumble on my opponents corpse as I walk away.