Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you look while fighting.

Where do you look while fighting.

I know we've talked about this before but I read this thread on the WC forum and figure it was worth a revisit.

So, where do you look while fighting?

While in TKD I looked just over my opponents shoulder to take in his body with my periphreal vision. In karate I'm learning to fight at a much closer distance so trying to look at any one place just gets me hit from somewhere else.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

I look at the base of the throat/upper chest area, but I don't focus on it. I glazed my eyes and let the peripheral vision do its job.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Center of the chest... for reasons already mentioned.

Also at what distance are you fighting? In TKD the range was from extended leg to extended arm, with exceptions for the occaisional elbow and knee. In karate it is arms length to grappling range.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

I close my eyes and swing wildly most of the time....

Top of the chest, a little lower maybe when I'm a couple of steps out.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Never consciously thought about it.

Just like in football they tell ya to focus on the guys waist.... who the hell is thinking of that when you're trying to shed a pulling guard off of ya and take on a full back crashing through the line with his head down. Just hit the guy as hard as ya can and hope you get him down. Better yet, he goes down and the ball comes out.

I know what you're thinking: mid field is different... You pause to focus, they're gone.

In fighting the shoulder often reveleas the fist's course. But I always plan for the worst attacks: power up the middle. I shield for those, and if they're rounded out just got to raise the elbow a bit. Same with the legs. I feel you pick up the leg, I wedge up the middle... all of this, but I don't like to think about it, especially before a fight. It's too easy to get caught up philosophising. I'd rather just let the arrow go!

yep, depends on the range I'm in. Clavicle area sounds like a reasonable default, tho.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 01-07-2004 at 03:40 PM.

Depends on the range. I practice both taiji and wing chun. In taiji since every move of the forms is suppose to have at least 40 applications (rule of thumb - not exact fact) and its literal meaning is the grand ultimate, everything is taiji. So however you look at your opponet is how you do it, its not wrong and its not right. If it works, it works.

Now with WC close range fighting/trapping I usually look along the midsection of the body for the same reasons mentioned above. This is a more WC minded approach. You can see their shoulders/elbows move for punches and watch their hips for kicks. Using your peripheral vision. You can keep track of all of your opponet's weapons that way.

I would like to know what kind of blind spot training people do. You never know when you might get blind sided from someone. I guess glancing in your blind spots every now and again would be a good thing, kind of like checking your mirrors when you are driving your car.

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    I close my eyes and swing wildly most of the time....

Up close, I watch the eyes- It can give away what direction they are probably going to attack twards, and sometimes lets me know what they are expecting me to do. Are they jumpy and uneasy, angry, distracted, or confident? All of this shows in the eyes.

From any kind of distance, I look at the base of thier neck so I don't get focused on any particular apendage.

Originally posted by sc_guy
    Look at his front leg. He has to put weight on his front leg before he can punchs, kicks, or move in toward you. Use the "chain kick" and don't allow him to put any weight on his front leg then you are safe.
    What if you are fighting a practioner of 50/50 foot work? Technically there should not be any more weight on any side, or front or back.

Originally posted by sc_guy
    ...both legs position are not front and back then his nutts is open to you. Kick his nutts and back fist to the top of his head. If he has one leg forward and one leg back then either "step on his knee" or "matching kick to sweep his front leg".
    Okay point taken.

and while you're staring at his feet he gives you a good smack in the face.

I tend to look around the base of the neck like most people here, and up close I look at the eyes, they can give things away. an inexperienced fighter makes it blatantly obvious where his next attack is directed by his eyes.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

I stare at his woman to make him angry and give me the advantage...

I usually don't focus on any part mainly. I keep my eyes in the neck lower face region.

(alternate wiseass reply)

I look right at the screen - you should know your joystick combinations by heart.

Originally posted by sc_guy, Look at his front leg.
    What happens if you think you're looking at his front leg but he's just really, really, really glad to see you?

DM