Thread: shaolin Rou Quan

shaolin Rou Quan

Has anyone trained in this style here? If so what was it like as in training etc?

Regards
    Garry FT

Yes sir!

It's the shizzzzzzz!LOL

Holla back!

Bubyaaaahhh

Shaolin Rou Quan was passed down by the Zen Monk Chou Chen-shi, one of the earliest martial monk from the Songshan Shaolin Temple. Originally it has 18 movements but later it was extended to 41 moves. It starts with "Lohan shows his fist" and finishes with Lohan closes his door". The form is done slowly like in Taijiquan, one supppose to punch as though a monk is lighting an incence mindfully, kick as though a cat is steping over a hump gingerly and move as though a woman is walking onto a floating bridge steadily. The movements are round and stretchy, they are done slowly and softly. All in all, a simple, short and sweet form to get into the Shaolin internal training. Traditionally it was taught to the older monks to keep them healthy and agile to an old age. It is very good for a newly married man as well because it is very effective in conserving the jing with quite a few "lift and take" movements in the form.

Shaolin Rou Quan is actually a simplification of Da Bei Quan as per the Beijing master in the beginning of this century.

The other history has been eluded to in recent times but cannot be substantiated.

Rou Chuan

They Just started Teaching ROu Chuan at the Shaolin Temple in Flushing New yORK. Its a new class. They allways begin the class with Ba Duan Yin. Im not sure if there is a significance to that or not. The Ba Duan Yin is structurally different then how Ive normally seen it done by Shaolin Monks. It is very interesting. I still wonder if there is a connection.

Talking

Shaolin Master,

How u doing mate? When you coming back and what have you learnt so far?

I bought a vcd on the rou quan, was interesting i must say...

FT

Idoesnotexist, do you train at the Overseas headquarters?
    Amithaba

Yes

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Master View Post
    Shaolin Rou Quan is actually a simplification of Da Bei Quan as per the Beijing master in the beginning of this century.

The other history has been eluded to in recent times but cannot be substantiated.
    I've been looking into this comment of yours and I haven't been able to substantiate it.

Can you please elaborate with details?

In all the research I have done, Rou Quan is one of the oldest qigongs and routines that came out of Shaolin.
    Also Da Bei Quan, which is part of Chen Men Taiji, I have found references to it that in Shaolin that go way back, a lot earlier than "the beginning of this century".

Are you confusing two different things together?
    There is the Da Bei Quan that was practiced by Shaolin monks of which Rou Quan is part of, along with Chan Men Taiji and goes back to before the Tang Dynasty

AND

there is a different thing that was named Da Bei Quan, which I think you are refering to, which is a style taught in Beijing by Buddhist monk Qi Yun and spreading throughout the country. Having absorbed the body and hand techniques of Bagua Zhang (Eight Trigrams Palm) and Xingyi Quan (Form and Meaning Fist), this style requires that the practitioner should combine internal and external force into one, using will, not strength. Today is is taught by Qiao Xiu Chuan, third-generation disciple of Da Bei Quan, and committee member of the Beijing Wushu Association.

Though they are named the same thing, they are two different styles.