Thread: Biu Jee/Hung Gar???

Biu Jee/Hung Gar???

Biu Gee/Bil Jee???

Anyone on here know of any Hung Gar schools that teach a version of Bil Jee/Biu Gee? I have heard stories that that form was exchanged for the Hung Gar Long Pole Set in some lineage between a Hung and a Wing Chung Sifu. ANY info would help me out Thx!
    -Golden Arms-

I know of a Hung Gar school that teaches Wing Chun on the side, but they have incorporated some some Taiji influence. How good the WC is I really can't say other than to tell you they said that Dummy training makes a person "stiff", which is why they don't teach it or have one onsite. I don't know anything about their pole form. They said their WC was not from a Yip Man line, but I forgot who they attributed it to.

http://www.escondidokungfu.com/

It seems like I heard that Garrett Gee's lineage is heavily involved in Hung Gar as well as the Wing Chun, but that's also not a Hong Kong line. I could be mistaken about the Hung Gar, though.

Excellent..thanks a lot for the info..any more would be great guys!
    -Golden Arms-

Golden Arms- Just thinking aloud. Could be wrong.

I dont know whether it helps.

Wing chun adapted the pole to its own usage-
    stance and motion.

I once heard- i dont know where--- that the crane motions in tiger and crane - came via hung ga/wing chun exchanges.

Hung ga hasa bong and ygkym and the knives--- but the details are different.
    No sanchin in wing chun either.

There is a form in the Hung Kuen system that I was exposed to many years ago as part of the Lion Dance training that I was involved in under a teacher from China by the name of Sifu Deng Chi Tang which is called 'Man Ji Kuen' ("the character for 10,000 fist", better known as the "Buddhist swastika" form), which while not an exact replica of the 'Biu Ji' form, contains many elements that may well have been adopted by Wing Chun or modified to become part of the Wing Chun repertoire. Sifu Deng, who was a friend of Sifu Wong Shun Leung and who had dabbled in Wing Chun himself, always enjoyed pointing out the similarities of the techniques or concepts employed in the two forms. Just my two cents worth guys
    DMP

Chinese (and other) Martial Artists are traditionally very humble. For example, if a sifu learned a set from another system, or even created one him/herself, it would be far to arrogant and disrespectful to claim credit for introducing it, and so they will demure and, in reverance to the profound body of Chinese culture, pay tribute and honor by assigning the credit to an ancestor, historic or legendary, and thus give their students the even greater richness of the fable surrounding it as well.

"It seems like I heard that Garrett Gee's lineage is heavily involved in Hung Gar as well as the Wing Chun, but that's also not a Hong Kong line. I could be mistaken about the Hung Gar, though." - JAFO

Yes, my friend, you are mistaken.

GM Gee is the inheritor of the Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kuen. Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun is a complete Wing Chun system and not a hybrid of Wing Chun and Hung Ga. Nor is Hung Ga taught at the Hung Fa Kwoon or at any of the branch schools.

However, if memeory serves there is one bay area Wing Chun sifu who teaches (or used to) at a location that also offers Hung Ga.

-David
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"

It was not my intention to imply Sifu Gee's Wing Chun was in any way adulterated with another style; I was passing along that I thought I had heard his family was also involved with Hung Gar in addition to the Wing Chun. His website does mention instruction in "Shaolin Kung Fu", although I'm not entirely sure which version that is. At any rate I am apparently mistaken about a Hung Gar connection and for that I apologize. No doubt you and I are both trying to refer to the same WC sifu in northen Calif. I only wish one of us could remember that person's name.

Again my apologies for my mistake.

Wow..if you have any more info..that is cool..but my god! This is way more than I expected to hear..I actually got a few leads out of this! Who says the wing chun forum doesnt kick ass??
    -Golden Arms-

Wing Lam in SF - Gene's(KFO) sifu teaches hung ga among other things... supposedly his school offered or offers some wing chun classes.

Anyone know any good resources on Hung Fai Yi WCK literature? I have heard and read a bit about that lineage, and am curious to learn more. Just curious on how it looks, where it came from, who practices, and what makes it different from the rest.

Go to your local Barnes and Noble (if you have one) an see if they have the book; "Mastering Kung Fu: The Shaolin Wing Chun" there.

I just picked up the book yesterday (I do TWC, not HFY WC) and I've only got a chance to skim through it so far, but I plan on reading it entirely once I get the chance.

The book is much more indepth than any other WC book I've seen, but I just wish they would've showed the ENTIRE Siu lim tao form, and more fighting applications using the HFY approach. Also, I don't think the picture sequences that ARE shown for a form or technique are taken at the best time either, so the true motion of the forms is very distorted for an outsider, IMO.

Anyway, it does have a lot of information (or would seem so, I've only skimmed through it) about HFY wing chun, so I'm not complaining.

Now, if only they would put some video clips of HFY wing chun on the internet so we can see what it looks like in action .

From what I can tell from what little I have seen HFY WCK is more of an external style of wing chun. However, I could be wrong.