Thread: Praying Mantis Wooden Dummy

Question Praying Mantis Wooden Dummy

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the style, but i have a friend who practises Wing Chun, and he showed me his wooden dummy form.

I was just wondering if there is a wooden dummy form for praying mantis, and if so, what does it consist of?

Thanks

S
    Black Mantis

Smile Wooden Dummy in NPM

As far as I know, there are 2 specific lineages in NPM that practice with the wooden dummy. One is HK 7 stars Sifu Lee Kam Wing and the other is CCK TCPM of GM Chiu Chuk Kai. The WD designs are different as well. I don't think there is a form in the LKW lineages (yet). In CCK TCPM, it is a form. There is a book plus a VCD of this form on sale now at the following link:

CCK TCPM Wooden Dummy Book and VCD

The book features GM Chiu performing the entire form. But it is only available in Chinese. I have written an article about the training. It can be found in the second issue of Mantis Quarterly. If your school already subscribed to the MQ, then you can ask your teacher about it. If not check it out at the following link

Mantis Quarterly

You will need to ask your school to subscribe since the MQ does not handle individual subscription at this point.

The VCD is a recent product by Sifu Jack Wong, who is one of the senior teachers of CCK TCPM based in Surrey, BC, Canada. It basically contains 4 parts:

1) form performed in different speed
    2) form performed with different angles
    3) form performed individually with the names of the moves (list of names in English provided as well)
    4) 5 applications from the form.

If you need further information, you are welcome to check my forum (link provided with my signature line below)

Hope this help

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

The book "Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu" by Leung Ting with Lee Kam Wing contains a Praying Mantis wooden dummy form. The whole book is actually quite excellent.

We use and find the style of the Choy Li Fut wooden dummy usefull in our training because of the sprung loaded arm and leg! Generally it is used when there is a odd number of training partners in the lesson. I use it quite often and find it good to try and nail a technique with or to flow from one technique to another. Obiously though it cannot replace the real thing!

Keef
    Keef

Smile The CLF dummy

I agree with Keef. CLF Ching Jong (lever dummy) design would be benefical to PM training as well. I am working on building such a dummy for our stuff too. If anyone knows where to get the blueprints on the CLF dummy online please post it for us. Thanks.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Question

I was wondering if any of you would have good references for reading material or personal contacts regarding lever dummy design and construction?
    -Mr.Binx

"I think therefore I think I am."