Thread: Aikido Anyone

Aikido Anyone

My pursuit in finding a good TCMA school in my new location has come up with nothing, This being said my next choice would be aikido being that alot of the principals are the same as my core art.

My question is how hard is it on the body. I have trained and sparred for about 4 years(full contact) so I'm not exactly a punk when it comes to that. Although when I do check on some of the schools I see alot of the pictueres are peopl being thrown hard to the mat. I know alot of grapplers(jj,judo and such) and they are always hurt with a torn ligament here or a shoulder that came out of socket. I know that most arts is you only go as hard as you want, but how much down time do you experience in aikido with injuries if you enjoy training hard?

Thanks for any input,

Arhat
    Arhat of Fury

Thumbs up

I´m not writing as an authority for I only tried it for a short time.

A few deaths have been reported.
    A few,unfortunately they exist and as far as I know,those likely resulted from bad ukemi (falling technique) or a harsh throw (i.e. landing on neck instead of back).

That is,those "in the know" report that the art is generally safer than,say,ballgames.

www.aikidojournal.com
    www.aikidofaq.com

I wasn't in Aikido, but I bruised the holy hell out of my ribs by botching a fall... It hurt like hell for about 3 weeks. I think its much easier to hurt your self in Shuai Chiao as it is more aggressive of a throwing art. Its much more direct & aggressive than Aikido. There was a Aikidoka in our SC class and he had a hard time adjusting to SC. He also had a hard time pulling off Aikido throws because of how circular they are...this gives experienced players the sign that he's about to throw you and you've got to stop him.

As for injuries, everyone in my class had to take a subatical recently. My sifu's senior student broke a couple ribs, my Sifu messed up his shoulder. Shake broke his toe when I dropped him mid-throw (he's lucky he didn't break his neck), and I bruised my ribs pretty badly when I was dropped mid throw. Two out of four injuries happend on "Wet Mat Training Night". It was fun while it lasted.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Thumbs up

thanks for the replies
    Arhat of Fury