Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: studded armbands

studded armbands

I was looking at the Ad banner on the top of the page, and was reminded of a question I always meant to ask.

Whats the reason for the hung gar studded arm bands? Where does it originate? Does anyone have some info on that for me?

They are armour.

In one case, they are a guard against the bowstring. In another they provide protection to the wrists and lower forearms against sword strikes.

The studs give the extra "umph" when striking with them.

But mostly they are a light armour.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've found that a string of Bodhi seed beads works well, too, but they are more inconspicuous than studded bands.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

they also look pretty cool. you cant forget that factor

come on blocking someone that isnt wearing studded arm bands. they'll think twice about hitting you again.

I have a hard time believe they were used to stop sword or blade strikes. There aren't enough studs to make it worth it. Empty hand strikes, and blunt trauma weapons I could see. I'm sure they probably give a little extra umph when you hit someone with them as well.

I have a hard time believe they were used to stop sword or blade strikes.
    In swordplay, there are numerous strikes at the wrists (closest object to the end of the blade). The leather and studded armour was indeed effective in repelling these.

Many sword techniques are directed towards the closest target (your opponents hands) and not all techniques are thrusts or slashes towards the body and head.

Consider the hand that holds the offending blade as the "head of the snake" so to speak. heh heh.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I suppose if they were short jabs and weaker strikes they might come in handy. Those sorts of shots are enough to break skin but not enough to get through stiff leather for the most part.

well, with good skill and a real blade, a tendon cut is ground gained. muwhahahahahah!!! and all that....

in all seriousness, they don't serve much purpose these days. They look pretty cool though don't your think? yes? no?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

well, with good skill and a real blade, a tendon cut is ground gained.

Exactly, something your last post made me realise.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    in all seriousness, they don't serve much purpose these days.
    Well they're pretty light and I don't imagine it would be very pleasant to have your strike blocked by someone wearing a pair of these.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

anton-

agreed , but i don't think most schools would allow sam sing while wearing the armbands. lol

and if you wore them out on the street, well, people would just look at you all funny.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Guess some of you never learned Gim. The straight sword is a precision instrument, not for hacking and chopping. You attack the tendons and it only takes a light touch with a sharp blade to end the fight. Tap the inside of the wrist and he can no longer hold a weapon. Achilles tendon - can no longer stand.

13. Re: studded armbands

Originally posted by Eddie
    Whats the reason for the hung gar studded arm bands? Where does it originate? Does anyone have some info on that for me?
    According to some reliable sources, this fashion started with Lam Sai Wing, but has largely been misunderstood. If you see the LSW books (especially with the photos) he is wearing arm bands (and a waist band). However, this was not his usual practice. He wore them because of a slight injury, if memory serves.

In any case, since most Hung Gar players today have seen the photos, but not gotten to know the Lams, they don't know the rest of the story. So, they wear the bands.

As for being armor...not so much. Take a look at the Osprey Military books for an outline of typical armor, or I can suggest some even better resources in Chinese.

Sincerely,
    CT

ct-

you don't agree that the arm bands are essentially a bracer?

they certainly aren't simply a fashion statement, and besides being wrist armour, I can't think of another practical use for them.

please expand?

OuJi- your notation on the gim is what I'm talking about. tricky thing that sword is.

thanks
    cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

15. Originally posted by Kung Lek
    you don't agree that the arm bands are essentially a bracer?

they certainly aren't simply a fashion statement, and besides being wrist armour, I can't think of another practical use for them.

please expand?
    Sure, they are bracers. But that is not the main explanation of its prominence among Hung Gar teachers today.

If you look at Hung Gar players over time, the bracer isn't sported until after LSW, and only by him in a very few series of photos. However, it shows up prominently (for example) in the first crop of US sifus. Why? One likely explanation is that they were very impressed with their historical roots, looked to LSW as a touchstone, saw the pictures and tried to emulate them in the absense of any other context. In any case, take a look at some historical photos...try to find bracers in Hung Gar just two generations ago, then three. Here's a site to get you started (http://www.hungkuen.com/gallery.htm)

As for armor...if it was that useful and prevelant, why isn't it part of the standard kit in the army? No Qing troops I know used it, nor Ming, etc. Likewise, if it were so useful as protection in street fighting why wouldn't other styles, especially southern styles (like CLF, Wing Chun, etc.) wear them too? I have never come across anyone but Hung Gar or HG influence people wearing them.

The best explanation is that it not much more than fashion because it is peculiar to Hung Gar, and can also be traced back to a certain, albeit unwitting, "fashion statement" by LSW.

Is that clearer?

CT