Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the TRUTH about Sonnon's style?

I might also point out that you are prejudging Sonnon based on what you hear--and then berating those who have told you they've heard good things for not actually KNOWING because they haven't crossed his path.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

is martail related to retail?
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

I obviously know this is a troll post (and a poor one at that), but I'll answer for anyone genuinely interested.

I've never rolled with Scott or seen him fight, so I'll take it straight from a strength & conditioning POV. Scott does produce some unique material and a lot of Sonnon's material that is not unique is explained very well by Sonnon and could only increase one's understanding of it.

Personally, I like that he has brought back club swinging to the general internet public and his joint ROM stuff is excellent. I've purchased and viewed quite a bit of his material and I've always come away with new concepts or a new way of looking at old concepts.

Do I think his methods are the end-all, be-all? No. You could go through your life and athletic career with success and good health without Sonnon. (especially if you read a lot of other material) That being said, I think he could add a good deal to your repetoire depending on your goals.

He is definately over-hyped by the over-the-top marketting, but that type of marketting is just par for the course in this internet age. Nobody is going to stop by your site if you are being humble or even realistic about things. This same type of over-the-top marketing also ensnarls the weak-minded in some weird fantasy world, so that's why you see Sonnon fanboys, Pavel fanboys, Vunak fanboys, BJJ fanboys, etc etc.

Scott and I have had some very heated differences in the past. I've never spent a dime on any of his materials, have never seen any of his videos, and have never trained with him. Just so you know I'm not a 'cronie' or a disciple.

I've never communicated with a more intuitive or selfless individual in my life.

Who cares how good his skillz are? (from all reports, very solid) I've seen first-hand what he's done for others, and it's beyond what most coaches are capable of. He's a coach's coach - someone who can make everyone their own, best coach and trainer. He helps people create positive internal dialogue through breath and movement, and shows them how to direct the positive energy which results from that. He uses martial art as a vehicle for people to develop personal greatness.

As a martial artist, Scott's got a depth that few people have the intelligence to fathom.
    Last edited by Shooter; 01-13-2004 at 06:58 PM.
    Tai Chi is

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Nobody is going to stop by your site if you are being humble or even realistic about things.
    {sobs gently into hunny pot}
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Scott and I have had some very heated differences in the past. I've never spent a dime on any of his materials, have never seen any of his videos, and have never trained with him. Just so you know I'm not a 'cronie' or a disciple.

I've never communicated with a more intuitive or selfless individual in my life.

Who cares how good his skillz are? (from all reports, very solid) I've seen first-hand what he's done for others, and it's beyond what most coaches are capable of. He's a coach's coach - someone who can make everyone their own, best coach and trainer. He helps people create positive internal dialogue through breath and movement, and shows them how to direct the positive energy which results from that. He uses martial art as a vehicle for people to develop personal greatness.

As a martial artist, Scott's got a depth that few people have the intelligence to fathom.
    dammmm...

I don't even know who Sonnan is but I'd say:

Thread Closed.

Shinobi22 = owned.

oh, wait...

Shinobi22 = own3d

that's not right, is it?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    I obviously know this is a troll post (and a poor one at that), but I'll answer for anyone genuinely interested.

I've never rolled with Scott or seen him fight, so I'll take it straight from a strength & conditioning POV. Scott does produce some unique material and a lot of Sonnon's material that is not unique is explained very well by Sonnon and could only increase one's understanding of it.

Personally, I like that he has brought back club swinging to the general internet public and his joint ROM stuff is excellent. I've purchased and viewed quite a bit of his material and I've always come away with new concepts or a new way of looking at old concepts.

Do I think his methods are the end-all, be-all? No. You could go through your life and athletic career with success and good health without Sonnon. (especially if you read a lot of other material) That being said, I think he could add a good deal to your repetoire depending on your goals.

He is definately over-hyped by the over-the-top marketting, but that type of marketting is just par for the course in this internet age. Nobody is going to stop by your site if you are being humble or even realistic about things. This same type of over-the-top marketing also ensnarls the weak-minded in some weird fantasy world, so that's why you see Sonnon fanboys, Pavel fanboys, Vunak fanboys, BJJ fanboys, etc etc.
    Now that's a great post. I particularly like the last bit.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Hey Serp, how have you been?
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

hes a master who abandoned his padawans
    is what i heard since i came here like on my first days on this forum
    some guys told me: "see that guy, hes serp, he abandoned his padawan kid"
    i thought like "daymn, son"
    Have a cigar
    You gonna go far
    You gonna fly high
    You never gonna die
    You gonna make it if you try
    they gonna love you

Originally posted by Oso
    Shinobi22 = own3d

that's not right, is it?
    That's an acceptable spelling. You could also have said 0wN3d, 0wnd, or ownd.

If you want to be extra cool, you could even say pwnd.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Troll Taming

I have not personally met Sonnon, but train with someone who has. What Sonnon brings to the table is legit by all accounts. His fight creds are easily available. His clubbells, Pavel's kettlebells, and the training behind them are great for any athletic training. I've been training with kettlebells for about 6 months, and have noticed dramatic strength improvements. Does this mean I've abandonded any other good training stuff? No. Does this mean that I think Sonnon is some kind of all knowing fitness guru? Nope. He's a good motivator with a solid background who is over hyped. The one major problem I have with the guy is that if you go to his forum and disagree with, or criticize ANYTHING there, you will be immediately banned. IMO anyone worth listening to should be able to handle opposing oppinions, constructive criticism, and even the occasional troll.
    "Repugnant is a creature that would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of it's fleeting time here." - Tool

www.bentmonk.com

What's the deal with pwnd?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

"I'd not confuse Sonnon's thing and what some other russian guy is teaching tough re: the psychic stuff."

What psychic stuff is that?
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev