Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the TRUTH about Sonnon's style?

Angry What's the TRUTH about Sonnon's style?

I'd like the help of the board experts here on my first post. I tried posting this over on Sonnon's forum, but I didn't receive a satisfactory reply.

I'd like to know from REAL people and not paid endorsements people who have trained with Scott in his style of Russian martial art. Is this legit or is it just some composite of rehashed traditional martial arts with a scientific spin?

Don't get all in a huff. I'm not a troll, but I call it like I see it. Who here has actually seen Scott fight and who here has actually fought him? If he can't fight, then in my opinion it's all just smoke and mirrors.

I'd like to hear REAL practical applications people have made from personally studying under him, not any evangelical praises about a large vocabulary.

Last question. What can I learn from Scott that I can't learn from someone else and paying my annual dues for my library card? Is there ANYTHING unique about Scott's style, or is it all just repackaged?

I have to admit I'm getting quite annoyed with this Russian martial arts mystique with the special forces card played way too much, the no-touch psychic combat, Sombo wrestling (it's a fricking SPORT!), weird movement, contradictory breathing, faith healing, remote viewing, causing sleep, and of course pseudoscientific jargon everywhere. I'd like to know about hte MAN not the madness. What's the REAL story on the guy?

Flocks (and emphasizing FLOCKS) of his students talked about how hes the biggest baddass but none could answer how what he does is unique and what he could teach that an authentic master does not.

I respect candor and honesty which is why I do not wear gloves when I ask questions. I expect the same in return.

Domo,
    Shinobi

Despite the goofy beard, I have heard nothing but good things about Sonnon. I'd not confuse Sonnon's thing and what some other russian guy is teaching tough re: the psychic stuff.

As far as Sombo being a SPORT. Well, first and foremost, feel free to step up unarmed to an excellent (ie, placed in some hefty sized tournaments and beat some notables) wrestler/boxer/judoka sometime and see how you fare.

Secondly, Combat Sombo WAS developed for combat. It's rather well documented and well regulated as far as advancement and what not.

I can't really speak to anything else.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

I don't care if Scott was a world champ in a SPORT. I know a soccer world champ and he couldnt fight his way out of a brothel. Rules are rules. Can he fight when there's no ref to protect him, heh? That's the whole point. Oh Ive seen "combat sombo". It looks like pitiful daito ryu.

No Im not mixing him with others. On his own forum he talked about his upcoming dvds called "Shadow Work". He and all of these Russian martail arts "commandos" seem to elevate themselves to Yuri Geller status. I want to know if Scott can actually walk the walk, say when Randi's watching.

I don't care if Scott was a world champ in a SPORT. I know a soccer world champ and he couldnt fight his way out of a brothel. Rules are rules. Can he fight when there's no ref to protect him, heh? That's the whole point.
    Not knowing anything about Scott, I couldn't tell you.

Again though, I urge you, in a no-rules environment to say, pick a fight with a member of the Iowa wrestling team perhaps. Your opinion on sport may change.

Or may not.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

obviously the only answer you want to hear is that his stuff su(ks… his style sucks…… well his fashion sense isn't the best in the world that is for sure…I think the whole 'Russian Martial Art mystique' os you put it is no different than the whole 'ancient chinese secret'... the US SEAL team secret... etc... people want to identify with SOMETHING 'secret *shrug*... in my personal training i have adopted some of his protocols and solo movement training with some sucess i suppose... from some of his writings and videos i have had some "ah ha!"... moments... i would advise those who had a few extra $$$ laying around to invest in some of his videos( they are EXPENSIVE but i ain't mad at him )... as his stuff being re-hash... what isn't really... and if i could come across 'his' stuff in the library... someone point me in the direction... really... but i find videos easier to go back and review.....
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

MP, I doubt that any wrestler would have a chance against a well trained martail artist on the street. I'm not talking about a four cornered ring.

Suntzu, I see you are just another Sonnon cronie since you even QUOTE him in your sig. Please. If you havent fought him you just dont know do you? Im not flaming you, but you havent answered my question have you.

Yes I think that I could go to the library and just flip through books on anatomy and physiology and tag those onto my tradition training to do what he did. Im looking for someone to explain what is unique that I could NOT do that.

the psychic stuff.
    SYSTEMA.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts

the trolling quality has gone down hill in the new year.....

my understanding of the'psychic stuff'... was stuff pertaining to dealing with stress responses... projecting, i don't know, confidence(like "i know i can kick your azz so i'm not worried and it's written all over my face")... posture and the like.... or maybe chi-blasts migrated to Russia via the silk road *shrug*

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

MP, I doubt that any wrestler would have a chance against a well trained martail artist on the street.
    Well, there's only one way for you to find out, isn't there?

LOL @ Suntzu = a Sonnon cronie

"What up cronie?"
    "Bout to go chill wit my cronies and plot the overrun of the MA video industry.."
    "Lock that sh*t down?"
    "You know it... gonna do my cronie thang"
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Originally posted by Shinobi22
    I don't care if Scott was a world champ in a SPORT. I know a soccer world champ and he couldnt fight his way out of a brothel. Rules are rules. Can he fight when there's no ref to protect him, heh? That's the whole point. Oh Ive seen "combat sombo". It looks like pitiful daito ryu.

Oh dear - There's the sport/combat thing again. If you think something that's trained for sport can't be used in a fight, go try them.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

did we make the best of thread....... that was masterful work....

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

I am truly disappointed at the low level of trolling the forum has experienced lately, we need some real high quality trolls soon or this forum will become a place for educated and polite exchanges on serious subjects, oh the horror!!!!!!!

Sonnon isn't the one pitching the mind tricks BS, that is SYSTEMA, though some people in SYSTEMA say the mind tricks BS aside the actual technique is good... who knows really?

Sonnon IS one of the foremost authorities on Russian MARTIAL ART and Sambo is indeed MARTIAL ART. I suggest you find some former KGB Sambo guys and tell them how they are just puny sport players

Sonnon is also very skilled

I've only met the man in person twice, but I can tell you he is the real deal
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Hi KKM!
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Shinobi22,

Couple of things. (More like four actually.)

1) If you're going to claim that you're looking for an objective opinion on a given matter and that you're open to said opinions, putting a little frowny face next to your question has a way of making you look like you've already decided.

2) Dismissing anybody that says anything good about Sonnon only reinforces that fact. You wanted to hear from people with direct experience of Sonnon or his material. And then you berate someone for illustrating a direct experience of Sonnon or his material.

3) Anybody using a screen name connected with the dread ninja should probably be guarding their own glass house before berating everyone else for buying into mysticism.

4) Claiming that any 'well trained martail artist' could beat any grappler on the street is also buying into mysticism. See #3. If you want to convince this crowd, follow your own reasoning. How many wrestlers have you beaten on the street? How many boxers? Thai boxers? Judoka? Samboists?

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.