Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fighting a trained opponent...

yamato_damashii Guest
    I think that you misread me. I did not say that "experience" was more important than "training". I said that it was more important to be "experienced" than "trained". And having done something one time does NOT count as experienced, by anyone's standard--especially if you failed.

Jason C. Diederich

Co-Founder, Yiu Dai S'uun Ancient Martial Arts
    10,316th generation Dai Soke in an unbroken line of NHB Shaolin Ninja Marine successors
    <A HREF="http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/rightway/yamato_damashii/" TARGET="_blank">http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/rightway/yamato_damashii/</A>

MASTERMAN Guest

FIGHT OR DON'T!

You make the choice.... Everything else is BS

You Have The Power>
    Dave S :)

obiwan Guest

Experienced vs training

Of course experience is great. If it was THAT great, why do we have schools and training centres? Just go out there and try it!

WOuld you trust a fresh graduate brain surgeon operating on you or Dr Nick Riviera who has operated hundreds of times...... (with survivors like Mr Armstrong who has an arm for a leg and a lef for an arm!)

"It's brain sugery not rocket science! Now pass me that ice cream scoop!" Monty Burns

Yes Experience is great, but like an old movie i saw.....

"Experience is the horse you ride, education is the jockey."

As for fighting trained fighters, I fought a sifu of Northern Tong Bei once. Advice for all of those who are asked to fight at a foreign school:

THEY WILL GIVE IT THERE BEST!

THey have a rep to defend where as you are a foreigner. If you are asked to fight and you accept, dont hold too much back, because they arent!

eg.

I fought this Tong Bei guy. I kicked the crud out of him, til he said now kicks. He was much faster in hand speed than I. I chased him down all the time til he imposed this new rule.

Then we battered each other for a while. I pulled some critical hits.
    We eventually began tangling since we were at point blank range. We both head locked each other simultaneously. (Yes it looks riduclous, but it happened!)

We BOTH clamped down on each other. I heard a shirt rip. I realeased pressure. HE DIDNT. I got a sore neck.

Yes the guy technically beat me, after he disabled my legs. Still, he had 10 years experience up on me, healthier and faster than me. Yet I clobbered him for sometime.

I got a bruised ego, but for your own safety, dont relax or go too easy when fighting an experienced fighter.

I thought he would extend the same courteousy for me when he felt me relax. But rather he took advantage of it, as you would in a real fight. I just didnt think it was a real fight.

Whatever the case, some trained fighters arent that good. You're techniques work, trained or untrained. It just becomes a little harder.....

good luck!

The Force will be with you...always

Kyoshu Guest
    I have fought trained people, most Thai Boxers, but real fights are nothing like fighting in the ring. I have always made sure to find anything to my advantage in order to win or escape from the situation.

I think training and experience go hand in hand. To have one or the other is a good thing, but to have both is even better and I think that is what we should be aiming for.

Kyoshu