Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EAGLE CLAW vs PRAYING MANTIS

Cool EAGLE CLAW vs PRAYING MANTIS

Hello all,

I have recently heard that there is a traditional rivalry between the schools of EAGLE CLAW and PRAYING MANTIS. Is this true?

What are the differences between the style?

How do they interact in battle?

Are there major differences of technique between these two schools?

Any info would be cool!

Thanks

S
    Black Mantis

Re: EAGLE CLAW vs PRAYING MANTIS

Originally posted by blackmantis
    Hello all,

I have recently heard that there is a traditional rivalry between the schools of EAGLE CLAW and PRAYING MANTIS. Is this true?

What are the differences between the style?
    I think in Northern 7-Star Praying Mantis, it may actually HAVE some Northern Eagle Claw. I could be wrong about this though.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.

I don't know about any rivalrys.... but I know that the HK 7 star schools has a close relationship with the Lau Fat Mang eagle claw clan. Grandmaster Ho Ying Chun represented both 7 Star and eagle claw back in HK and from the stories I have been told they were of loyalty to Lau Fat Mang. I heard he fought for Lau Fat Mang in his days of his illness to uphold his honor.

There is a letter

There is even a letter in Sifu Leung Shum's book from Wong Hun Fun himself. Not to mention that Bung Bo is said to have a section of Eagle Claw within it. Both systems are so very close to each other in History, (ie Chin Woo) and style (Claw Hands, kicks, sets, locks, and holds) that it would seem they have a lot to learn from one another. All the Ying Jow Pai people i have met are very kind and open not to mention very talanted martial artist to boot.

Shen Zhou
    "Learn to see a persons weak spots; even if a ready or on position is used."
    Lai Sifu

What people say are true. Eagle Claw and 7*PM relationships are close and we hope to remain close as friends as well as partners in improving our martial arts.

A Tradition That Continues

List Members,

Indeed this welcoming attitude continues among Tanglang and Ying Jow stylists. My students and I have been to Sifu Kenneth Edwards' school in California on several occasions and have touched hands (in a friendly but intense fashion that included takedowns on concrete, lots of bruises and knots), but EVERYONE there was always gracious and enthusiastic. Lung Shum's martial family is a great group of skilled practitioners and I would encourage anyone to visit him. And, if you are interested in a fair and well-run tournament, check his out!

Steve Cottrell

My Shr Ye, Shr ZhengZhong, has incorporated Eagle Claw. The two seem to compliment each other quite well, from what I`ve seen anyway.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

eagle claw's 72 catching techniques were created by a general and refined on the battlefield. the system was around before that though im pretty sure. and the 72 catching techniques were incorporated into the system. I personally like eagle claw better than mantis. im not putting mantis down, it is a good system and i like it too.

but it really depends on the fighter.

My sifu is really really good at eagle claw, and he can basically make any point on the body a pressure point. it feels like nails driving into your skin. I have seen him make people throw up form grabbing them so hard. voice pitch doesnt change at all when he does that either. its like

http://www.nacma.org/index.cfm?ac=sifuli

is a link to my sifu, the site isnt complete yet though.
    Last edited by Shaolinlueb; 01-15-2004 at 10:20 PM.

mantis/eagle claw

Originally posted by darksands
    What people say are true. Eagle Claw and 7*PM relationships are close and we hope to remain close as friends as well as partners in improving our martial arts.
    Not too long ago, one of the Lau ( as in Eagle Claw Lau's) sisters visited the Walnut Creek, Tai Chi mantis School and addressed the Sifu as Sihing, because she (they?) had studied under GM Chuk Kai...
    ShaolinMantis-I

COLOR=seagreen]I have heard there has been a long association with Eagle Claw and PM. We have to train our hands for using the eagle claw as well as it popping up in forms such as Sup Say Lo.[/COLOR]

I thought that the rivalry of the eagle claw was woth the monkey style kung-fu.

But i faught a dude today ( in the most friendly way we could) in monkey style and he climbed all over me. My gung bo was nothing to him but stairs to stomp my head in.

I made an agreement to learn a little of his style enough that i could defend against The moves of monkey kung-fu.

He didn't win though ( but neither did I )
    which is why I'm learnin the reversals and dissadvantages of the style and fighter.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Rivalry? Honestly..none that I have heard of. If anything..I believe that PM and Ying Jow have had much respect for eachother. Some speculate that this is attributable to the fact that many years ago..in the Jing Mo(Ching Wu) school, both styles were taught, and as someone else mentioned above, they have similar philosophies.

The Ying Jow I have observed is very Northern. Both PM and YJ do alot of grabbing and joint locking. The difference is that both styles tend to grab somewhat differently. EC is usually very acrobatic with many flips, somersaults, splits,etc.

The only real "rivalry" I have heard about(it could be nothing more than styles beating their chest) is between Wing Chun and Choy Li Fut for rivalry #1 and Hung Ga and Bak Mei for rivalry #2(after all..if Bak Mei killed your dad(Hung Hei Gung-an early developer of Hung Ga) wouldn't you be angry?)

Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinMantis View Post
    Not too long ago, one of the Lau ( as in Eagle Claw Lau's) sisters visited the Walnut Creek, Tai Chi mantis School and addressed the Sifu as Sihing, because she (they?) had studied under GM Chuk Kai...
    Yes, I am of the CCK TCPM family also...there must be some crossover there. My sifu's wife has some wicked strong hands and she is a pipsqueak !

Also, I showed a dutch friend (eagle claw) some of our mantis kicks and warm ups and he says he was taught the same.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

--> Tamojin

Which part in Sap Say Lo is Eagle Claw? That was the last form I learned and now I am curious.

I don't know about Sub Say Lo, as far as I understood that form was created to be an introductory mantis form for Chin Wu students.

Now Goon Le Kune and Jeet Kune are in both Eagle Claw and Mantis- but that's more of a chin wu thing- but ECers have a unique way of interpreting some of the applications in Goon Le Kune that I found to be cool.