Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Another reason I don't post at Bullshido.

Another reason I don't post at Bullshido.

I was curious as what drivel was spewing over there so I took a quick look and found this gem from our old buddy ballonknot.

Animal Styles Kung Foooey
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...&threadid=8419

Discuss.........

one of the guys on there is right though, fights in the end turn into a mix of kickboxing and grappling. I have NEVER seen an animal style used effectively in a fight, except in tekken, and I dont think that counts. when I refer to animal styles im saying monkey style, tiger stance etc not things like cat stance which is used in pretty much all MA and is just putting all your weight on the back leg, and animal names for moves (although I think they are pretty ridiculous as well)
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

I've seen people spar effectively using Mantis at Taiji Legacy. Of course, that was not really fighting, but they were pretty d@mn effective and it looked like Mantis.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Throwing a fu jow to the face or a Tiger Tail kick are both just as easy as doing a straight punch or jab, and a side kick...dont see the problem..maybe if the vast majority of people that do animal styles trained enough to make it their natural reaction instead of something they 'do' it would be different for them. Regardless, it works for me just fine..if it doesnt work for others..good, they wont expect it
    -Golden Arms-

perspective is just a point of view after all

I don't know any animal names for moves. We didn't use the old descriptives. What is the animal name of a punch?

Don't knock the monkey. The Paulie zink monkey might be goofy, but the actual monkey is brutal and powerful. Its about ground and pound. The more I read, the more its clear people only have zink and wushu in mind.

Cat stance is only stupid if you just sit there and wait in it. To me its just a transition. All stances are just transitions.

Its also clear people are only seeing the the most superficial cosmetic surface and not seeing deeper into its substance.

"They've never seen........"

Why should they ? Do they hang out with Kung fu people?

Mother: Did you do your homework?
    child: Yes.
    Mother: Well, I didn't see you do it.
    child: Thats cause you just got home.
    Mother: Thats no excuse.
    child: Here.
    Mother: Is this todays homework?
    child: It is dated today.
    Mother: Don't sass me.

did you see the fetus style? WTF is fetus style?
    Last edited by CaptinPickAxe; 01-14-2004 at 03:07 PM.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I've used a Donkey punch before

Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
    did you see the fetus style? WTF is fetus style?
    C'mon. Use your imagination, Pick.

Cat stance is only stupid if you just sit there and wait in it. To me its just a transition. All stances are just transitions.
    Agreed. Suck back into cat to avoid a kick. Sets one up well to launch the counter strike.

And I like lurking at Bulshido when I'm in a bad mood. I'm garanteed to get a good lauph.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

Talking

imagination...okay

I think Fetus style is lying on the ground in the fetal position with your eyes closed. Feeding off of your opponents digested food and lifeblood. And when the time comes for you to leave you make a dramatic exit with a slap to the butt and a whole lot of crying.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Obviously these guys have never sparred someone who practices animal boxing. I for one have not trained any animal style for long periods of time. I am lucky enough to know people who have and can actually use it in combat if needed. They are not masters but know enough to use it. Venemous snake style is deadly, striking vital and death areas of the body, like the throat and eyes. White crane, the crane's beak is designed for the same purpose and is very useful for plucking out people's eye balls. Tiger style, hmm any style that practices ripping the flesh off your opponet, naw thats just stupid and inaffective. I personally have met a tiger boxer, and he told me a story of fighting for his life when someone tried mugging him. He basically ripped his assailants face off. Don't know about you guys but if somoene ripped my face off, and i was still conscience, I would probably fall down the fetal position and start crying or run away. In the wild it is totally survival of the fittest. Mocking animals movements is mocking them dealing death blows to their prey. Does a tiger grapple its prey (heh thats probably really debateable)? No it mauls it, bites it, gouges it, and forces it to the ground crushing and killing it. I can totally see where this guy says animal boxing is 99% crap.

My sifu knows monkey boxing, and its really hard to fight against. For one, its not that common so you get tricked easily. Don't fully on engage a monkey boxer they will climb up whatever limb you throw at them, breaking it, striking you, biting you, gouging you, and take you to the ground.
    Last edited by Gangsterfist; 01-14-2004 at 06:13 PM.

fetus style

I reported on that style in our Nov 99 issue. It was told to me by Shaolin Monk Shi Yanming, who demostrated in the photos. I asked him several times for clarification. In later research, I've come to beleive that what Yanming calls 'fetus' style is in fact what I called 'emu' style in that article. Both word sound similar in Chinese tai xing and you can see a similarity in the poses adopted by both Yanming doing 'fetus' and Wing Lam doing 'emu'. I suspect that like many things in CMA, there was a distortion in the transmission somewhere and somebody wrote down fetus instead of emu. The actual technique reminds me of the double door jam fists of Hung Gar.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: fetus style

Originally posted by GeneChing
    'emu' style in that article. Both word sound similar in Chinese tai xing and you can see a similarity in the poses adopted by both Yanming doing 'fetus' and Wing Lam doing 'emu'. I suspect that like many things in CMA, there was a distortion in the transmission somewhere and somebody wrote down fetus instead of emu. The actual technique reminds me of the double door jam fists of Hung Gar.
    How old id this style? I thought emus were only native to australia.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

I use all 5 animals when I fight. It's a training issue more than a style thing.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

gangsterfist- you're saying these people train to pop eyes out and tear faces off? please. you're the exact reason why they have sites like bullshido.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

There is a lot of "Clam" and "Beef" in MMA! So what do they have against animals?...