Thread: Profound Realization!

Lightbulb Profound Realization!

I've been working on a regimine to improve the function and strength of my hip flexors. While I can now get into a good horse stance with little effort, I'd also noticed that my over-all strength was going down hill. After talking this over with my Sifu, I came to a grand realization:

I did not loose my strength. I am just not using my "strong" muscles the same way, so my results are different than what I'm used to. I used to use them to make up for a lack of strength in my hip flexors. Now I use them to suport my hip flexors, but make my hips do thier fair share. This is not what my body is used to, so I tire easier. The sign that this is true, Sifu said, was in my stradle splits. I used to stop when the pain got to be more than I could handle. Now it is my stretch that stops me and I have little pain at all because I'm now "doing the stretch right".

Untill that conversation, it had never crossed my mind that I was doing the stretch wrong. I looked like every one else. But I was trying to force muscle to work that were not suposed to be working and letting the muscles that were s'posed to be working slack off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it

I get it, cool! I bet you'll find that after a period of training in the new manner, you will find that this muscle recruitment pattern is optimal for one reason or another.

Refinement of neural-pathways for muscle activation. At first, an unusual signal will travel a myriad of pathways in order to reach their destination. Upon practice, a single pathway will start to be used more than others and not only will this make the movement more effecicient/effortless, but the excitation patterns stimulate growth and reinforce specific neuro-sensory and motor pathways.

I had a feeling you guys could explain why that happened. Thanx!
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    you're kidding? i would love to drink that beer just BECAUSE it's in a dead animal...i may even pick up the next dead squirrel i see and stuff a budweiser in it