Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Decheng Seminars

Talking he's coming to new orleans

Hey Gene,

Found out last night in class that De Cheng called my shifu because he was interested in visiting the Big Easy, so he will be giving us a seminar next Friday

I'm really looking forward to it. It was explained that we will have a choice b/t an internal/external kf seminar and a staff seminar....hm, since i recently started a beginner's staff form, i'm not sure which one to pick!

Wonderful

Deru was trying to hook up with Shi Decheng and host him for a few days in your area - he kept trying to contact him but missing will Decheng was here. I gave Decheng Deru's number and told him to call the day he was leaving, so I'm glad they worked it out. Decheng has never been to the Big Easy, so I'm sure he'll enjoy being a tourist there.

His internal seminar is probably going to be baduanjin. His staff will probably be yinshaogun. You'll probably get more out of the staff set at this point. Yinshaogun is a really solid form that beginners can learn and more intermediate appreciate.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I am a crazy man. Crazy about Shaolin that is. How crazy am I? I am going to fly to Cali, get there 2 hours before the Saturday seminars, train like never before and catch a plane that departs 1 1/2 hours after the seminars are over the same day. Where am I flying from? Central New York. If that isnt crazy enough, the reason that I have to be in and out like a bandit is because I am a self- employed snowplow driver. We got 181 inches of snow last year and this year has not been that much different. I gotta be home in case it snows. I have 24 hours from snowfall cessation to complete my route. 16 hours of fly time, 6 hours of training (with break). I think that I can make it by the skin of my teeth. This is how bad I want this. Kung Fu is all about dedication and perseverance. And besides, how many chances will we have to train with the men that we emulate. I would not miss this for the world or a blizzard. PS Happy B-Day, I'll bring a present!
    Self Proclaimed Grandmaster of Idiot Style

?

Michael,
    It sounds like you're talking about the recent seminars in CA, which are over. Tonight De Cheng and his brother will be in New Orleans, and then they will be conducting seminars at the Liu Institute In Mobile, Al in case you would want to fly there!

Gene, supposedly we will be taught a new staff form since yin shou gun is the 2nd set taught in our curriculum. I'll let you know how it goes. and thanks for giving De Cheng the contact info

Holy Cow, I am CRAZY! I just went back and checked. That was Feb of 2004. Thanks for the input. I was going to get tickets today. I guess that I was blinded by excitement and overlooked the fine print. I hope I dont find out too late next time. Thank You so much for the info.
    Self Proclaimed Grandmaster of Idiot Style

really glad to be of assistance! i also neglected to mention that the seminars in mobile are tomorrow morning. if u still wanted to fly south, call The Liu Institute
    251-343-6023
    444 Azalea Rd.
    Mobile, AL 36609

sweet...wu xing ba fa

we did the seminar after regular classes, and he taught us wu xing ba fa (if one is curious to see de cheng perform it check out russbo.com) when he mentioned the form, my friend and i smiled because a few months ago my teacher actually taught a couple of students nearly the same form but as a hu quan, so that basically all the hand movements are tiger strikes. have u ever heard of such a variation? nonetheless, it was great for the rest of us and shi de cheng did an excellent job breaking it into sections and correcting the numerous students in about an hour.

they said he would be teaching the mobile folks a staff form

gene, i took the liberty to try to tell him that u said hi, and he smiled. i also tried to convey that i had the mag featuring him on xiao hong quan, and that i saw his chain whip and wu xing ba fa clips on russbo, and he smiled and said thank you, probably thinking i said i liked them, and i do

he's a very humble guy, and a good instructor. he started by explaining the 5 animals and the different stances in the form, and gave some of the movements' names (shifu translated), as well as demonstrated one of the snake applications.

Originally posted by Gene's First
    Gene - You eat carpet better than most! You should be proud of that skill. :-)
    I declare this to be the most disturbing post i have ever read.

any way, go on...

dogchow oasis

O: I'm glad you enjoyed the seminar. Decheng has been teaching outside of China for well over a decade and has an amazing ability to meet the needs of his seminar students, no matter what level of skill they might be at. He is probably one of the most travelled of the martial monks out there today, with followers all around the world. I know that he's trying to set up an annual US tour. I know because we discussed it and that's his modus operendi. He is seeking to find enough students across the country to be able to support him making a trip out every year. Thank you for your support and I hope that with endorsements like yours, my master will be able to acheive his US tour route very soon. And please remember to thank Shawn Liu for sponsoring him. No tour can happen with out local sponsors.

DC: It's even more disturbing if you knew her. She's not like that at all. I'm sure she had no idea of the implications...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

tour

wow, that is awesome news. i can tell you that all my peers were really excited about getting taught by de cheng, and they would love to see him again. so please encourage him to pursue his cross country tour, as he definitely has our support.

I've noticed that De Yang has travelled pretty well throughout the different shaolin schools at different times(ie vegas, new orleans/mobile, and new york). wouldnt that be cool if they coordinated something together, or that they rotated every six months in the states

As for catering to everyone's needs, it was interesting because there were several taiji students who never attended a kung fu class before but stayed back for the seminar. i think i may start a separate thread on the form itself since there does not seem to be a past discussion already...

Any coordination would be coincidental

Both Shi Decheng and Shi Deyang move about the world on their own schedule, as does any monk not travelling with a tour. But it's always good to support the touring masters from China whenever you can. Not only will you get some good instruction, it always entices them to return. Wouldn't you?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Seminar

My Shixiong, Ye Xinglie (Andy) is hosting our master Shi Decheng at his school, USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy in San Jose, CA. Below is some of the text from his flyer.

Shaolin Grandmaster Seminar
    Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ

12/9/2017 SAT 5:00-7:00pm Shaolin traditional hand form - Qixing Mantis and application $100
    12/10/2017 SUN 5:00-8:00pm Shaolin traditional hand form - Qixing Mantis and application and Xiao Huan Quan application $160

This is supported by the Tiger Claw Foundation. It is an SF Bay Area event.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Update

Tiger Claw Foundation
    Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ

The Tiger Claw Foundation is supporting the Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ on December 9-10 2017 at the USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy (SKZ) in San Jose California. 12/9 SAT 5:00-7:00PM Shaolin Traditional Hand Form & Qixing Mantis and application ($100). 12/10 SUN 5:00-8:00PM Shaolin Traditional Hand Form & Qixing Mantis and application and Xiao Huan Quan application ($160). For reservations: usaskz@gmail.com or (408) 806-0155

In cooperation with ShaolinKungfuZen.com, sdcshaolin-kungfu.com, TigerClaw.com and KungFuMagazine.com
    Decheng did some seminars in Florida with German Garcia last weekend. He's also in Las Vegas with Shi Xingwei.

Seminar by Shaolin Warrior Monk Shi Decheng - SF Bay Area TCF supported event
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Digital edition

The digital edition of Kung Fu Tai Chi's JANUARY+FEBRUARY 2018 issue - our Shaolin Special - is available via Zinio.

I also had the honor of being present at Ye Xinglie's school, USA Shaolin Kungfu Zen Academy in San Jose, CA, when a poster of the cover was presented before his students following the Grand Master Shi Decheng 2017 American Tour Teaching Silicon Valley SKZ. I posted a few photos on facebook.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips