Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: year of the monkey -date is wrong

year of the monkey -date is wrong

The web link has the year of the monkey starting on Feb 4. The new moon is on Jan 22.

Fellow Furry Mamals, its our year...

Sound off if your a Monkey

Jai Hanuman
    At a boy Luther!!!!

I'm a rat, which is a furry mammal. Can I at least drink from the keg?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

It's actually a celebration that's over a week long...

...so by strict Feng Shui reading, the actual starting date is actually Feb 4, but it's observation begins at the new moon. At least, that's what I'm told. What can you say about the the Chinese Lunar Calendar? Our Gregorian has a leap day, but the CLC has a leap month.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It' all wrong actually.

The new moon is Jan 24. Check your calendars.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

According to the actual lunal tables the new moon will begin jan 21 at 9:06 p.m. (pac. time) exactly.

And, all of the other sources I have for chinese new year have it also at jan 22 as the first day.

Also, its a 15 day festival not a 7 day festival ending with the full moon's lantern festival.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 01-16-2004 at 03:09 PM.

Originally posted by Taomonkey
    Fellow Furry Mamals, its our year...

Sound off if your a Monkey

Jai Hanuman
    Ahhhhhhhhhhh Yo!

Originally posted by SifuAbel
    According to the actual lunal tables the new moon will begin jan 21 at 9:06 p.m. (pac. time) exactly.

And, all of the other sources I have for chinese new year have it also at jan 22 as the first day.

Also, its a 15 day festival not a 7 day festival ending with the full moon's lantern festival.
    Here are a few examples. :

http://www.new-year.co.uk/chinese/calendar.htm

http://www.educ.uvic.ca/faculty/mrot..._new_year.html

sa- you have taken the correct, sent it to the moon and built a base while at the same time stretching it's arse all the way to mars!

lunar new moon starts jan 21, end jan 24.

3 days just like full moon.

I'm gonna eat stuff, watch kungfu demonstrations, lion dance, dragon dance and listen to the lilting melodies of erwu and flute!

I like how Chinese New years is compared to the western big drunk and casual sex party.

Dunno how I got that mixed up, but there ya go. lol

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    sa- you have taken the correct, sent it to the moon and built a base while at the same time stretching it's arse all the way to mars!

cheers
    ouch!!

ttt

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    I'm a rat, which is a furry mammal. Can I at least drink from the keg?
    Hi from a fellow rat
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Friggin' FEng Shui

OK OK, we had to go back to the original Chinese on this one, dig up all that Feng Shui stuff, which I hate doing but I will just for you all on the forum here. If you've only celebrated Chinese New Year, then you really no nothing of the intricacies of the Chinese calendar - that's like saying you know kung fu because you've seen the TV show. The chinese calendar, like so many things Chinese, is sooooo esoteric, and this is a perfect case-and-point. Let this be a lesson to all of you that question the absurdities of Feng Shui. As we often say, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" both in Feng Shui and Kung Fu, so this will stand as a good lesson, or at least an exercise in Chinese research.

Ready? Here we go.

Our date is correct. The actual start of the year of the Monkey by strict reading of Feng Shui/I Ching calendar is Feb 4th. This is because, strictly speaking, the year of the monkey must begin on a Feng Shui date called Li Chun, literally the beginning of spring. However, remember what I said about leap months? Like our own gregorian calendar, which as to adjust a day (feb 29th) every four years, the Chinese Lunar Calendar needs to adjust every once in a while, but it adjusts a whole month (don't even ask me when, it changes all the time of course.) Well, this year that leap month lands in our gregorian month of February, or so I'm told. 2004 has two Chinese Februarys - February 20th to March 20th (a big one with 30 days), then March 20th to April 18 (a small February). Our publisher, Gigi Oh, tells me her brother gets to celebrate his 1st birthday because it's the first time it has landed in February in his lifetime, and he's over 50! Now, because of the leap month, the lunar calendar is off slightly, which means that the new moon does not occur on the new year this year. Nevertheless, few people observe the actual calendar like Feng Shui people, so almost everyone sets it on the new moon anyway, even though that is not completely accurate in this case. So there's an observed Chinese New Year, the new moon, for people who don't really know their Feng Shui and the real turn of the year of the monkey for those who really study this stuff.

Don't beleive me? I barely understand it myself. It's waaaaay too astorlogical for me. But check your Chinese almanac calendars (I don't think Homeland security is persecuting people with Chinese almanacs yet so don't worry). You'll find the leap year as I've said and that Li Chun is on Feb 4. If you want to be a smart ass, you can spout all of this off during you Chinese New Year celebrations and hope that someone else has some inkling about what you're talking about. But it's probably wiser to just know it and be quiet.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Ok dude, so while the rest of the ENTIRE world is celebrating you can hold out with the three or four dozen people that're holding out for feb 4.

Cheers.

It's gotta be Feb 4th...

...if your casting Feng Shui Horoscopes , which is what our Feng Shui Master Wilson Sun does for us. Clearly, it's a lesson in the complexity of Chinese culture - things are seldom what they seem. I'm told that the Chinese calendar is more accurate in some ways, but leap months always seemed extreme to me. On the other hand, our own gregorian use of months (originally form "moon" as in moonths) makes no sense at all either anymore - otherwise the full moon would be at the same time every month. But check your Chinese calendar if you don't beleive me - do some research beyond just looking at stuff in English.

And xin nian kuai le
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips