This is interesting,
apparently a medical college did a study on ginsing imported from asia, and out of 20 different brands, only 8 were actually safe for human consumption. This was prompted because of the yearly death tolls of people who take ginsing are rising in the u.s., but the herb still goes unregulated. Apparently many third world producers of ginsing supplements are adding lead and other poisons to the mixture and many people don't realize this.
Also, people are giving this stuff to their kids, and mainly it is the kids who suffer the most results. A woman in New York recently poisoned her son by giving him ginsing.
BTW - I got all of this information from Dr. Dean Adell, I don't know if anyone else listens to him, but I consider him to be an authority on medecine and medical happenings.
Anyone had any problems with ginsing?
I took it once, but it gave me severe heart palpitations and I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. Interesting note, the little old Korean lady at the Asian supply store who sold it to me told me that I was too young to be taking ginsing. She said that it is for old people, and can harm younger adults.
The news said that there are hundreds of deaths yearly from unregulated herbal supplements that come from asia, I'm not sure what that percentage is ginsing, but there are at least 50 cases that were mentioned.
-jojitsu27