Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wushu vs traditional shaolin

shaolin is linear??? what have you been doing, shaolin-do?

may I recommend a you try traditional shaolin from a tradional school.
    Northern Shaolin-based forms are generally linear, moving East to West.

Wushu forms generally move from corner to corner of the ring so that each corner judge gets a good look at the form, which means they go SE to SW, NE to NW, generally.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

well I guess I'm judging shaolin styles too much on my chosen one which is Northern, but very un-linear....but what would you expect form Lost track boxing - mizong quan!

Our forms are all over the place, ......but now thinking about it we do have forms such as 'shaolin fist' and 'small shaolin fist'. 'small shaolin fist is a little linear, and 'shaolin fist' is a little linear to, but apart from that most of our forms are more roudned than a sphere!
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

Ours move in lines too, but I still wouldn't concider it linear (after you look at the footwork).
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I thought Wu shu was a term meaning martial art, or combat art, where as kung fu is an American reference to Chinese boxing, but would be translated as skills developed over time. Shaolin is the name of a temple where they developed wu shu skills and did so their entire lives, thus having high levels of kung fu. It seems semantics can confuse things with non-chinese speakers. Wushu is now commonly a reference to the gymnastic like performances that were designed according to CHinese Govt approval, but based on traditional wushu techniques. There is still a lot of martial applications that could be gleaned from the them, but the practioners of "modern wushu" do it mostly as a sport, similar to gymnastics, or figure skating.

Wushu forms generally move from corner to corner of the ring so that each corner judge gets a good look at the form, which means they go SE to SW, NE to NW, generally.
    For the competition longfist forms this is mostly true(you have to reach each corner or something I think) but for the learning forms, they're mostly linear and more like traditional forms.

Our SPRING 2019 issue

SPRING 2019

Teaching Modern Wushu at Shaolin
    Master Liu Yu’s Culminating College Education Field Experience
    By Emilio Alpanseque

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart