Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you fight a mantis practitioner?

how do you fight a mantis practitioner?

What strategy would you use to fight a mantis practitioner? I've read some of their fighting theories and they seem pretty hard to beat, because they use quick footwork to close the range and then unbalance the opponent while trapping and firing rapid fire hand strikes to vital points.

Re: how do you fight a mantis practitioner?

Originally posted by monkeyboxing
    What strategy would you use to fight a mantis practitioner? I've read some of their fighting theories and they seem pretty hard to beat, because they use quick footwork to close the range and then unbalance the opponent while trapping and firing rapid fire hand strikes to vital points.

Hmmm,..tough one. I would most likely use quick footwork to close the range and then unbalance the opponent while trapping and firing rapid fire hand strikes.
    <j/k>
    ***Sorry,...had to say it***

Its hard to explain because each fighter you come up against will at least appear to have different open spots, weaknesses or definiencies. A very hard question to answer.

Another thing, I would not target vital spots unless myself or those around me are in actual danger.
    Best wishes,
    ~BTL
    How many identities does a Troll need?
    Didn't think I knew did you??
    I know a lot of things.
    You won't like me in person either.
    Confused?? Don't be.
    LOL!

hmmmm

against mantis...

squish them with your shoe

(they tend to crunch)

I would try to use a cidada or a sparrow, depending on if it was northern or southern mantis.....

My cat defeated a mantis once. One way of defeating a mantis is using a billion ants. I had a mantis once and one day when I got home, It was bombarded by a billion ants. Ants are scary.

*sigh* Is anybody going to make a serious post?

There aren't any serious posts because it's not a serious question. Fighting is not so static that you can have a set strategy against a certain style. Take for example a thai boxer. you may think "okay, avoid his knees and elbows - no infighting." what if the thai boxer in question prefers punches and kicks? what if he likes kicks and elbows? within a style, you will have practitioners that favor certain aspects of the style more than others.

Then, you have to account for physical attributes. Would you fight a tall mantis guy the same way you'd fight a short, stocky one? Nah. And chances are, the short guy and the tall guy will not fight you the same way either. See what I mean? Not to mention that you can't predict the pace of the fight. you may have a strategy, and he may completely screw it up. What will you do then?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I agree with seven star.
    I concern myself first and foremost with his attitude.
    Then with his physical attributes.
    Finally, if I have the chance to notice, with how he stands.

But I have been in situations where I could not take notice of any of these things and the keypoint,as it should be, was my own attitude.
    Musashi goes into this extensively in his book 5 Rings.

Thumbs up

Originally posted by SevenStar
    There aren't any serious posts because it's not a serious question. Fighting is not so static that you can have a set strategy against a certain style.
    Well said.
    -Mr.Binx

"I think therefore I think I am."

fighting mantis

Originally posted by SevenStar
    There aren't any serious posts because it's not a serious question. Fighting is not so static that you can have a set strategy against a certain style.
    In the words of Bruce Lee " take a 45 and BANG settle it"

seriously though ...you fight the person not the style
    ShaolinMantis-I

Hmm another peach stealer... Well, you just gotta get to their peaches before they get to yours.

Re: how do you fight a mantis practitioner?

Originally posted by monkeyboxing
    Like the other posts, fighting is very dynamic. You have to consider size, weight, attitude, and other things.

What little I know of the PM, it is primarily a striking art. Others will disagree, and I'm cool with that. They probably know more about PM than I do. Still, assuming PM is primarily concerned with striking, you may want to consider grappling with them, and not giving them enough room to launch their strikes. If you practice a grappling art, then you MAY have an advantage over someone who only knows striking.

Still, if they know how to strike well, then grappling with a PM practicioner might just get you struck on the way in. But grappling, in my opinion, in theory, may be a good strategy to use against a "striking" PM practicioner. I think grappling will work well against ANY practicioner that only know how to strike.

Please, anyone, feel free to just jump in and rebuke, refute, and condemn my post! I wanna hear what people think about this.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.

Re: fighting mantis

Originally posted by ShaolinMantis

In the words of Bruce Lee " take a 45 and BANG settle it"
    No... no, I'm pretty sure he said "take a 45 and BANG set-toe it"

Thumbs down

Originally posted by KWUsCRD
    No... no, I'm pretty sure he said "take a 45 and BANG set-toe it"
    I respect the amount of effort that Lee Yuen Kam put in learning to communicate with a larger spectrum of this planet's population. His english may not have been perfect (heck, most americans have problems speaking it properly), but it was understandable and it served a purpose. It doesn't seem right to make fun of a dead teacher's pronunciations of another language just because he hadn't yet learned how to make the words pleasing to your ears.
    Last edited by Mr.Binx; 02-02-2004 at 08:15 AM.
    -Mr.Binx

"I think therefore I think I am."

Originally posted by Mr.Binx

I respect the amount of effort that Lee Yuen Kam put in learning to communicate with a larger spectrum of this planet's population. He's english may not have been perfect (heck, most americans have problems speaking it properly), but it was understandable and it served a purpose. It doesn't seem right to make fun of a dead teacher's pronunciations of another language just because he hadn't yet learned how to make the words pleasing to your ears.
    AMEN! Communicating your idea is MOST important when, well, communicating. Grandmaster Lee was a GREAT communicator, and GREAT Martial Artist.
    ------------------------------
    Ever since I was a lad
    I was an automatic
    mad mantis fanatic.
    I became a man
    manically attached to it...
    Could it be,
    it attached to ME?!?!!
    --------------------------------
    Herminio Alvarez, Jr.