Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choy Lay Fut-The Most Devastating Fighting Style

ewallace Guest

Baguazhang

With Bagua, the main idea is to engage each attacker only once, neutralizing him/her/it immediately so that you do not have to deal with the aforementioned attacker again. It is circualar in it's approach yet very unpredictable.
    It's focus is to deal with multiple attackers and dispose of each attacker as quickly (violently) as possible. Of course that is only a vague outline of baguazhang.

- Eric

Victory goes to he who makes the next-to-last mistake.

Shaolin36 Guest
    Yes Choy Lay Fut has all those but #3 isnt stressed that much.

I think the main strength for CLF is that every technique that is used has a wide open door for all other techs at any angle and direction. Even the forms are based on multiple attackers.

Just want to clarify that I am not bashing any other styles I am sure they are all just as efficient, its just that I keep reading that CLF was developed for multiple attackers and I havent really read that about other styles. But then again I dont study many other styles so maybe Im not looking hard enough.

Shaolin36

Braden Guest
    I think any martial art CAN have all those aspects. Bagua is the best suited to them from the arts I have experienced, and traditionally has stressed them the most. Although there is certainly bagua out there that doesn't address these points.

From my experience, CLF doesn't have any remarkable focus along these lines. Although that does not mean they are beyond the technical grasp of the style.

I have been told Silat, American Kenpo, and Aikido are also obsessive about multiple attackers. I haven't seen enough Silat or AK to judge. Aikido looks like it has some useful knowledge, but in my experience has mostly lost the economical movement exhibited by it's first and second-generation practitioners, which I think is required for solid multiple assailant skills.

Well there is certainly a strong emphasis in baguazhang of "disposing" of attackers in short order, I believe this to be secondary to the things I mentioned in my last post - and not a particularly valid point for discussions of comparison, since I am unaware of any style that claims to teach it's practitioners to dispose of attackers slowly.

Theogenes Guest
    I would have to say my Sig Sauer P220 .45 calibur pistol would be my best defense against multiple opponents. Seriously, you don't want to stick around too long if multiple people are trying to beat you down. Realistically speaking, even the best fighters may be beaten down when the odds are stacked against him, as in such a situation.

nospam Guest
    #5) is a good one. Flowing techniques that take you through and/or around your immediate opponent.

I can't speak for CLF as a whole, but in Bak Hsing CLF, we train for multiple opponents. Grabbing is a tactic we use and is often a 'hidden' part in many of our patterns.

We teach to hit the big guy first. Take him down quickly with a lot of mess..demoralise the 'group factor'. Of course, on our way to the big and ugly we might go through someone else. Dymanics can not be reproduced but they can be trained.

I teach a 3 second rule. If your opponent is not incompacitated in 3 seconds then train harder and smarter.

nospam.

Braden Guest
    I've always disagreed with the popular line of "take out the big guy first." It is usually other factors that will determine what opponents you face, but when given the choice I will always choose who I think is the weakest opponent to take out first. You have less of a chance of getting tangled up with them, and a greater chance of taking them out quickly to even up the odds a little bit.

I'm not sure why so many people think multiple assailant situations are necessarily death sentances. I'd say at least half of the real fights I have seen and been involved in have been a greater number of people against one or two individuals. The smaller group did not always lose.

Pointy Guest

Bah...

We all know that Paulie Zinks stuff is best for this multiple assailant situation.

Roll on your back and throw your legs over your shoulders (you can use a staff if there is one nearby). Imitate monkey screams. And while your opponents are laughing till they drop, you very quietly sneak away.

"Pain is only natures way of telling you're in terrible agony"

Theogenes Guest
    I am somewhat skeptical of multiple opponent situations becuase genereally speaking, if a group of people are going to attack one or two, they have some really bad intentions right from the start. Most of the fights I've seen involved one on one confrontations, in which both parties just wanted to fight and beat the **** out of each other.

Shaolin36 Guest
    I read somewhere on this board, that when dealing w/ multiple attackers you should take out the most aggressive of the group first. This makes sense to me, this is the one guy that you know wont hesitate on knockin your block off. Once he's out of the way you may only have to deal with timid fighters.

Shaolin.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    I tend to go for the person at my 6 first. At least that's what has been succesfull for me in group sparring.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Rolling Elbow Guest

my thoughts...

taijutsu/ninjutsu=multiple opponents.

Its all about movement and flowing through everything..everything is an extension of movement. Evasive footwork should be a part of every style. This answers itself no? If you are being taught to stand still, you will get pounded by a guy 3 times your size.

Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

Jaguar Wong Guest
    From my experience with Northern Shaolin, the only emphasis on multiple opponents is rapidly changing directions to engage different opponents (like in Shaolin #4). There is no "form" that emphasises things like putting your opponent beteween yourself and the other attackers, or even things like escape. But the direction changing, and the ability to attack different opponents quickly does help. I think the multiple attacker aspects of a style are better taught with things like drills, along with building attributes that would be ideal for this (reflexes, speed, etc), as well as emphasising the various principles that people have posted here.

one of Ba Gua's strengths in multiple opponents is to move while hitting from very unsuspecting angles. Just when you think you're safe attacking from the right flank...BAM, you catch an elbow to the face, and a willow palm to the floating rib. :)

Jaguar Wong

Interesting topic I hope I can find this topic