Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Acupuncture

Anyone ever got acupuncture?

Did it work for you? Was it painful?

It only hurts when they place it directly into your eyeball, but you get used to it. Had some mixed results...like going to any medical professional...my first time I could feel current moving through my body...pulsing...was amazed as I was skeptical.

I went to some other fancy schmancy sports guy in a fancy medical office, he had some radio talk show and worked with professional athletes. I thought he was full of **** and his treatments roughly a half dozen did nothing to alleviate my sciatic nerve pain and L4 L5 issues in my lower back.

Its like getting a massage therapist or good chiropractic....you have to play the field to get a good connection. If you find someone who works for you, stay there!!!!
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

I had accupuncture from a western trained westerner for a back problem. It didn't hurt - I barely felt the needles. It didn't work - just made things worse by irritating my skin.

By contrast, I had accupuncture from my old coach - a properly trained traditional Chinese doctor from mainland China. This was for an agonising tooth abscess. The accupuncture was painful - he put the needles in much deeper than the westerner, and then flicked them, so that they vibrated. This was like a miracle treatment. For 48 hours it completely eliminated a pain that was otherwise so bad it was comparable to torture. It didn't cure the issue - but as pain relief, it was amazingly effective.

Seriously Spiked?

The only way you'll know is to go try it.

Even my cat has had acupuncture. And it worked for her.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The only way you'll know is to go try it.

Even my cat has had acupuncture. And it worked for her.
    Oh yeah? Your cat's acne cleared all up? Lol

Gene, I was just asking. Sheesh

Gene's just having a bad hair day...perfectly ok to inquire Young Skywalker. Doesn't hurt...oh I did have a coworker who did it to quit smoking, she swears by it. I look at it this way, if it's really effective or just a placebo and I feel better, it's worth the dinero. Taking care of yourself is never a bad thing.
    Last edited by Hebrew Hammer; 10-25-2013 at 02:57 PM.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

There are no bad questions...

...but there are ones that are too revealing of one's character for a martial forum. For example, let's switch out some alternate words for acupuncture.

Anyone ever sparred?

Anyone ever kissed a girl?

Anyone ever tried anything new themselves instead of just asking on a web forum?

Okay, okay, maybe Hebrew Hammer is right and I'm being a little hard on you, Spiked. After all, you survived yesterday's confrontation with lkfmdc and never once complained to me privately. Most nooBs go running to mama (aka admin & mods) after their first lkfmcd spanking. Good on you.

My cat was old and sick. We did some acupuncture as therapy and it alleviated some of her symptoms for a while. Strangely, it even appeared in our magazine on page 18 of the August 2000 issue in an article titled Tested on Humans. Note that it wasn't my idea to run that. Our former editor had a great affection for cats and when she heard about our catcupuncture, she demanded a story. Also worthy of note, our cat allowed our therapist to stick several needles in her, so it didn't hurt that much, at least not to the cat.

I have personally had acupuncture sessions that HURT LIKE HELL, but being Chinese, Chinese therapists tend to be a little rougher on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Hammer View Post
    Gene's just having a bad hair day...
    Dude, my life is a bad hair day. For realz.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bawang's dates also ask me if it's painful or does it hurt? Sigh, we can only speculate...

Same people ask or say that about getting tattoos...I didn't think it was all that painful, more like getting scratched but eveyone has a different pain level and pain tolerance levels.

Gene, my hair is having a bad decade.

Blog Entries
    I had tried and my insurance had covered for it. It didn't work for me at all. It was not painful.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-25-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

I should add that I've had acupuncture that didn't hurt too.

And it was effective for some things, like some allergy issues I used to have, but not for others, like my chronic pain.

Same people ask or say that about getting tattoos...I didn't think it was all that painful, more like getting scratched but eveyone has a different pain level and pain tolerance levels.
    Depends where you get 'em, I suppose. Here near SF, I've seen some tattoos in places that just make me wince.

Gene, my hair is having a bad decade.
    I feel ya, bro. I totally feel ya.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Anyone ever kissed a girl?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT3_UCm1A5I
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    This is 100% TCMA principle. It may be used in non-TCMA also. Since I did learn it from TCMA, I have to say it's TCMA principle.
    Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    We should not use "TCMA is more than combat" as excuse for not "evolving".

You can have Kung Fu in cooking, it really has nothing to do with fighting!

Let me know if anyone is interested.

I can get your referrals to people who have some skill.

I will be moving to Tampa December 14th and will be treating patients.

Let me know how I can be of service.

If your acupunk does not elicit a healing response with one treatment, they are not very good in my opinion. Not that you are totally healed in one session, but if your practitioner does nothing on their first treatment, why go back to them. I always get a response and have patients returning for further treatment.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 10-26-2013 at 05:59 PM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

It only hurts when they place it directly into your eyeball, but you get used to it. Had some mixed results...like going to any medical professional...my first time I could feel current moving through my body...pulsing...was amazed as I was skeptical.

I went to some other fancy schmancy sports guy in a fancy medical office, he had some radio talk show and worked with professional athletes. I thought he was full of **** and his treatments roughly a half dozen did nothing to alleviate my sciatic nerve pain and L4 L5 issues in my lower back.

Its like getting a massage therapist or good chiropractic....you have to play the field to get a good connection. If you find someone who works for you, stay there!!!!
    I think I know who you are referring to ( MA talkshow/Chiropractor ). My son trained at one of his Shotokan Karate schools when he was 6. That said, I'll let you in on my own treatment for sciatic nerve (nerve pain in the hip that runs down the leg: can make your leg give way without notice, extreme pain ). I can tell someone what to do, they may or may not take my advice. Because you are a martial artist and know that I am an old guy here that gives advice freely I know you will try it and relieve the pain next time it arises. I have to do this a couple times a year. Takes about 3 minutes max. Here it is: Hold your hands to a workbench, rail or tabletop. Make sure there is plenty of space behind you, nobody walking by. Without looking behind, perform a mule kick on the affected side of your body. Do another one, then another. Now do a couple mule kicks with the other leg to stretch those nerves also. That's it. Relief from nerve pain will be immediate.

I've seen an acupuncturist numerous times; it's had an ~95% efficacy rate.

First time I went was for a wrist injury. I was in massage school and the introductory teacher was a serious flake and didn't teach me proper body positioning, so I had injured myself by doing certain things wrong. I was very surprised to have complete relief after 1 session.

I've had numerous other sessions for various pain related issues and each time it worked very well.

The only real exception, possibly, being a chronic issue I've had with - what I believe is - an inflamed hamstring tendon. When I sit (especially in the car) it kind feels like there's a small stone under one butt cheek. I had numerous treatments for that, which also included treatment for minor scoliosis (no more deviation and my scapula was lowered) and tui na (chinese massage). The problem never really went away, but it did get better sometimes.

A few times I've seen the acupuncturist for colds, and that's always worked well, I think. That's my only experience with internal issues.

Acupuncture really doesn't hurt. It's not like getting a needle. The only time you'll actually feel it hurt is when a point is very close to a nerve (like some points in the hand and foot).

I swear by acupuncture for primary care. Though, I've always been fortunate to find very skilled acupuncturists.

Look for an acupuncturist that is trained in Traditional Chinese Medicine; aka, the whole suite, not just acupuncture (some people don't learn herbs or are just licensed as an acupuncturist).

Chris Kresser has a great - and lengthy - series of articles called Acupuncture Demystified, which attempts to explain it from a western perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    like that old japanese zen monk that grabs white woman student titties to awaken them to zen, i grab titties of kung fu people to awaken them to truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Canzonieri View Post
    You can discuss discrepancies and so on in people's posts without ripping them apart. So easy to do sitting behind a computer screen anonymously, but in person I'm sure you'd be very different, unless you're a total misanthrope without any friends.

Golden needles!

X-Ray Reveals Hundreds of Gold Needles in Woman's Knees
    By Bahar Gholipour, Staff Writer | January 13, 2014 09:33am ET

[Pin It] An X-ray image of a patient's knees reveals acupuncture needles left in the tissue.
    Credit: The New England Journal of Medicine ©2013.

When doctors examined an X-ray image of the knees of a woman experiencing severe joint pain, they found a gold mine: hundreds of tiny gold acupuncture needles left in her tissue.

The 65-year-old South Korean woman had previously been diagnosed with osteoarthritis, a condition in which the cartilage and bones within the joints degrade, causing pain and stiffness. But when pain relievers and anti-inflammatory drugs didn't alleviate the pain in her knees and only caused stomach discomfort, she had turned to acupuncture, the doctors wrote last week in the New England Journal of Medicine.

Acupuncture is an alternative medical practice that uses needles to purportedly stimulate certain points on the body, to alleviate pain or to treat various diseases.

In the woman's acupuncture treatment, the needles, which were presumably made of gold, were intentionally left in her tissue for continued stimulation, according to the report. [14 Oddest Medical Case Reports]

However, leaving the needles, or any objects, in the body may not be such a good idea, said Dr. Ali Guermazi, a professor of radiology at Boston University, who wasn't involved with the case. Foreign objects left inside the body can lead to inflammation, abscesses and infection.

It could also make it hard for a doctor to read an X-ray. "The needles may obscure some of the anatomy," Guermazi said. [See Image]

"The human body wants to get rid of the foreign object," Guermazi said. "It starts with some mechanism of defense, for example inflammation and forming [fibrous tissue] around the object."

Needles left in the body can cause other challenges, too. "The patient can't go into an MRI because needles left in the body may move, and damage an artery," Guermazi said.

Little evidence supports the idea that treating medical conditions with acupuncture actually works. However, the practice is widely used as a treatment for painful joints, and the insertion of pieces of sterile gold threads around the joint is a common treatment for arthritis in Asian countries, according to the new report.

In the United States, an estimated 3.1 million U.S. adults and 150,000 children were treated with acupuncture in 2007, according to a survey by the U.S. National Institutes of Health's National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine.

Email Bahar Gholipour or follow her @alterwired. Follow us @LiveScience, Facebook & Google+. Original article on LiveScience.
    Would pure gold affect an MRI?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips