Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acupuncture

Acupuncture

I am looking for for an acupuncturist or holistic center in Nassau County or Northern Queens, NY. If anyone has someone to recommend that would be great.

Acupuncture!!

Tomorrow I am going to visit an acupunturist to help me with anxiety and muscle tension. Right now, I am (somewhat successfully, I've cut back alot) quitting smoking and it ain't that easy and I am hoping that this will help.

I will post what I think about the therapy after my visit.

I have just completed a course of treatment with acupuncture and massage. This was for my back.

It aches, cramps and gets stiff. This was from working in a job where I was sitting down all day. Its still not right now.

My opinions are not high. But I wont go into it until you complete your treatment as not to bias you.

Good luck. I hope you have a better experience.
    Thanks

Leigh Robinson

Hand forged, Hand Folded Japanese and Chinese Swords including Katana, Jian, Dao, Qiang (spear)
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk

Education Centre & Forum for Bladed Weaponry.
    http://www.masterforge.co.uk/forums/

Chinese Sword Society UK
    http://www.chineseswordsocietyuk.com

Unfortunately, back issues are sometimes persistent. This may be due to a mechanical (physical) issue (i.e. pinched nerve, etc) that no amount of needling can really remedy. That's not to say it never works, however. The World Health Organization (WHO) recognizes 28 disorders that have been clinically proven to effectively relieved by acupuncture, as well as a myriad of other complaints that show acupuncture as a promising treatment. (W.H.O., 2003, "Acupuncture: Review and analysis of reports on controlled clinical trials)

Also, if the root cause is not eliminated, the symptoms will often return. So, if you still sit at your job all day, this is one of the root causative factors, and unfortunately, the pain will persist.

I've also seen issues that don't resolve with one practitioner but quickly heal with another - diagnosis, technique and point selection are all vital factors determining the outcome.

Finally, the best way to go is to combine herbs with the acupuncture to heal from the inside -> out.

Good luck and I hope both of your backs get better.

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by herb ox View Post
    Good luck and I hope both of your backs get better.

herb ox
    It isn't my back, it is my shoulders and neck mostly. I seem to hold alot of tension there, especially on my left side.

I have undertaken three acupuncture therapies so far. She said some stuff about my gall-bladder and my liver being off and it is throwing other systems out of whack. I dont really remember what exactly she said and I dont care, just as long as she knows what she is doing.

Anyhow, it is working. I can feel muscle tension slowly melting away in my shoulders and even in my abdominals and legs. It has also greatly reduced the ringing in my ears and has helped alot with my anxiety and constant worrying that clutter my brain at times.

Overall, I am thinking that this is a good treatment, and though it is a bit pricey, I am going to continue. My next appointment is on monday.

Also, I have been put on a herbal tonic that is supposed to enhance the effects of the treatment. The herbal tonic says that it contains the "historical antecedent" Fang Feng Tang, and Tian Ma Gou Teng Yin. I have no clue what they are, but the tonic has a warming effect which kicks in almost immediately after taking it and it seems to put me in a more positive mood. It also helps me with mental focus.
    Last edited by HtownShaolinBum; 02-29-2008 at 09:50 PM.

got wind?

These formulas are for treating "wind" created by Liver excess - specifically what we call "liver fire uprising" - that's the ringing in the ears, tension, anxiety and unclear thinking. Good stuff... 'bitter herbs better your health'...

Interesting observation about the warmth that you feel after taking the formulas. These formulas are mostly cool in nature, so a warm rush wouldn't seem logical; however, if the liver qi has been constrained, a warm feeling sometimes washes over the body as the qi is 'liberated' and begins to flow smoothly. In fact, severe liver qi stagnation can cause cold hands and feet, which is peculiar since stagnation usually creates heat as a byproduct.

Glad to hear you are having promising results. Keep it up!

in health,

herb ox

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post

Overall, I am thinking that this is a good treatment, and though it is a bit pricey, I am going to continue. My next appointment is on monday.
    There's this one thing that I find really sad. Keep up your treatments if you can afford them.

At my acupuncture clinic, I offer a sliding fee scale from $20.00-$60.00 per treatment. I offer my clients a chart showing how much they make and the 'recommended' amount, based on the fact that I will want to see (most of) them for 10 treatments, once per week. I also don't require any proof of income.

I really liked the "peasant medicine" approach to the Community Acupuncture model, but couldn't incorporate everything due to the lack of space. I only have two rooms. I thought that offering a service at a rate that (almost) everyone can pay was important to me.

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion and style of practice. I think that's what makes Chinese medicine so great!!! It's like an art form.

Best,
    Kenton Sefcik
    “An ounce of action is worth a ton of theory.” – Friedrich Engels

You could also try St. Johns Wart for you're anxiety.

I started talking it before I go to bed. I sleep like a baby now. And I feel a big different through out the day.

Acupuncture School while working Full time

Hello LAc and TCM students,

I just recently registered for an Acupuncture/Oriental Medicine school out here in Southern California. My 1st quarter starts in a couple of weeks. I am starting to think if I am making a mistake. Here's my situation, I work fulltime and my work is about 2 hours from the school. So I will be driving up there right after work to attend night classes twice a week and also taking 3 classes over the weekend. Just wondering, how much studying and homework is involved with the courses? and do you think I am over my head? I am just afraid I will be wasting my money if I end up dropping out before I finish due to being burnt out or some other reasons. I have a few weeks to decide and can get a full refund on my tuition. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I have always had an interest in Acu/OM and am getting sick of my line of work (Electronics) and am considering a career change. Just sucks that the program is so long.

Brother,

It is tough. I was lucky that I had a part time gig teaching martial arts as well as selling my herbs as well as my sugar momma who worked her ass off so that the two of us could survive with me not working very much.

It can be done, but you have to really ask yourself if you want it that badly or not.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Thanks Dale. I was hoping you would reply to this thread. Yeah, this is something I need to think about more before fully committing. It's an all or nothing deal here. Too bad theres no such thing as an Acupuncture Technician or something like that for people who drop out half way. haha. Take care.

I've known of few people who attended the school here in San Diego, it's comparable to nursing school or physician's assistant training in terms of the amount of memorization, study, and clinicals. You maybe able to work part time and be pretty successful 20-30hrs a week. Nursing programs do not allow their students to work full time at all. It's all about time management, discipline, and coffee.

It's not a recipe for success...would you want to be treated by a medical professional/acupuncturist who just barely got by?

If it's a passion go for it, but be dedicated. If you want something that you can do part time look into Tui Na or massage school.
    "if its ok for shaolin wuseng to break his vow then its ok for me to sneak behind your house at 3 in the morning and bang your dog if buddha is in your heart then its ok"-Bawang

"I get what you have said in the past, but we are not intuitive fighters. As instinctive fighters, we can chuck spears and claw and bite. We are not instinctively god at punching or kicking."-Drake

"Princess? LMAO hammer you are such a pr^t"-Frost

SNL on acupunture

acupuncture
    Funniest schtick since Ackroyd's Julia Child.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    acupuncture
    Funniest schtick since Ackroyd's Julia Child.
    That's why I keep LOTS of cotton on hand!