Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Shaolin monks fight?

Can Shaolin monks fight?

Those guys you see doing all the travelling and shows, do you think they can fight? Can they fight well? Is their training effective?

The same as "Can the seals performing in the circus hunt for fish?..."

Some maybe...Some others could be too lasy!

Blog Entries
    red5angel-

You are either a really dumb guy or a really good troll.

Originally posted by Fu-Pow
    red5angel-

You are either a really dumb guy or a really good troll.
    I think that's a little harsh - it is a pretty valid question.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

I'd say some. Depends on whom we're comparing them to, lol.

red5 is the most bestest troll ever.

I dont think they can fight, but they have good attributes.

They can and do drink. I drank with several of them last december at the Nugget here in Reno.

strike!

Yeah, they're not monks.
    "Duifang jing zhi meng ji, wo fang tui zhi ce fang xi zhi."

The guys from the shows are not real monks most of the time. They are students from the surrounding schools. There are thousands of students enrolled in the Denfeng schools, and the better ones are invited to join the traveling shows. We talk about this issue quite a bit in the Shaolin forum.

You might be surprised to learn that, according the Gene, some of the monks take TKD in order to compete.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

fu-Pow, its a serious question, now go learn to socialize properly, my suggestion is do it off the internet with real people.

Yenhoi, you drank with them? Did you get a feeling for their actuall fighting ability?

Has anyone else come into contact with them on a personal level to confirm whether they can or cannot fight. I'm not going to assume because they don't study BJJ or Muy thai that they cannot fight

R5,
    Search the Shaolin forum. People there have varying levels of experience with these students, including Gene. The issue of fighting has been discussed many times.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Most of the "monks" aren't even monks: posing on top of tombs, ect.

We had a shoalin monk visit our school .... he through his prayer beads in the corner, then got a beat down from my teacher.

He expressed some crazy notion that before a fight you should sike yourself up by staring into the other's eyes and repeating to yourself, "I am not afraid. I am not afraid."

Sounds like somebody's afraid to me

I would never label a whole group, but from what I have seen they have evolved away from the martial and towards the marketable. Every group has a few fighters though, even the local little league.

alright guys, I know they aren't "real" monks for whatever that means, however there isn't another moniker that I am aware of that they go by so for now let's all just make the assumption that we're all on the same level here with who is and who is not a "real" monk.

E-fist, who was this guy? Why was he at your school? Is he one of the performers who does the travelling? What does beat down mean? I ask because it seems to me that while he may not be able to fight a little bit of acrobatic ability and the body control they obvisouly do have can go along way.

you have to watch out though. some can shoot fireballs from their hands. but krillan is only human so he can't.

He was not a performing monk. Supposedly he was some big shot, the head of a team of somesort. A representative.

This is going to sound like a kung fu movie: But in times like this a group of Chinatown teachers come together and write what they think about the person's ability annonymously and then read it outloud.

My master volunteered to match with him and it was held in private at our school. I was not there, just his daughter and maybe another disciple.

The overall assetment: Fake monk, so/so technique.

We get visitors from time to time. My master is actually pretty well known in certain circles though a lot of the big names that respected him have passed on and he's actually very humble, doesn't open his mouth. (here's an article that mentions him in passing: http://www.chusaulei.com/martial/art...lungfumun.html)

Of all the visitors he's told me about, the only one that he speaks favorably of is BK Frantzis, or Kuma as he calls him. Says his technique is pretty good and his Manderin better than his.

ok, so if I understand correclty E-fist he isn't really what I am asking about in the first place since he appears to be mostly fake?