Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultimate Swordsmanship Thread

I do chinese sword play :-

Qing Ping Jian (green duckweed straight sword)

Dou (broad sword)
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

I do Japanese swordmanship. Since our system is a Sogo Bujutsu (a "complete" system) , in addition to the Kenjutsu and Iai/Batto -jutsu we are taught how to use the tanto, wakizashi (short sword) and the naginata (glaive) for bladed weaponry. All of these weapons are based on the same principles of movement / operating system (including the jujutsu we practice).

From what I have observed chinese sword has more circular techniques and japanese sword has more linear techniques. I have not seen a great deal however.
    This may generally be the case as they are dealing with economy of movement. But some Kenjutsu ryuha (ours included) use more circular cuts and movements.

KG

technically, it's two days - one day is battou and one day is kendo. If I do do it though, I'll likely only train in kendo for now.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

kUMDO

I have been training in kumdo, korean sword and its similar to japanese kendo.

I am really enjoying it as well its completely different to chinese sword work i think!

FT

I have done a little of Russian swordwork. I would love to have more training sessions.
    Monkey vs. Robot

interesting. What's it like?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

I've seen video of Russian sword work from a variety of Russian styles. The approach seems to differ from one style to another, so describing a common approach is hard.

In our school a great deal of time was spent on developing edge/point orientation. The way it was introduced to me was with the statement that many sword methods, particularly those that frown on training with an actual blade, tend to swing the weapon all chaotic. The opponent is as likely to get swatted with the flat side of the blade as slashed. Padded weapons and round shinai don't demand contact with the edge and could lead to bad habits. My knowledge on this subject is not what I'd like it to be, so I am repeating what was suggested to me.

Flow, as in all unarmed and armed sequences at our school, was stressed.
    Monkey vs. Robot