Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chinese New Year!

Tao of Wushu

Ours school will not be performing this year in the new year celebrations, due to the completion of a one year sabbatical for personal reasons.

I will on the other hand be there and I will check out your schools dancing and reward myself in the dissruption of the evil spirits.
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

The Traditional Kung Fu Academy

will be demonstrating traditional Mantis Boxing at the San Diego Chinese New Year Cultural Faire on Feb. 13th, 1PM. Following the demo will be an introcuctory lesson at the indoor stage.

http://www.sandiegochinese.net/sdcc/cnyf.htm

The Kuoshu Union (composed of Mo Ga, Dragon, Pa Kua, Mantis, Choi Lay Fut, Liu He Ba Fa, Taiji, and Shaolin schools) will also have a booth to provide answers to questions related to Traditional Chinese Martial Arts and Cultre.

www.KuoshuUnion.Bigstep.com
    www.MantisSkills.com

Update!

The Traditional Kung Fu Academy will be playing Jiben Gong Taolu and Tang Lang San Da drills. Shifu Dasargo will also be playing various sets and Yongfa as well.

Following our demo will be various kuoshu demos (Mo Gar Lung Ying Shaolin Choi Lai Fut etc) presented by the Kuoshu Union.

San Diego Chinese New Year and Cultural Faire
    http://www.sandiegochinese.net/sdcc/cnyf.htm

The Kuoshu Union
    www.KuoshuUnion.Bigstep.com

Gong Xi Fa Cai!
    L.

Chinese new year

Tomorrow is chinese new year ... wishing you all an big happy.

Kung Hay Faat Choy !!

Year of the dragon - happy new year!
    Fut Hong Wing Chun Kuen (a.k.a. Invisible Buddha Fist Wing Chun), Northern New Jersey
    IBFWC @ youtube
    BBL28888 @ youtube

"Everybody's gotta plan, until they get hit!" - Mike Tyson

"Rule number 1: Don't get hit. Rule number 2: Remember rule number one."- Sifu Joseph Ng

"Pure or Impure Wing Chun, whatever beats an opponent is good Wing Chun" - pg 50, Wing Chun Warrior: The True Tales of WCKF Master Duncan Leung

2018 Year of the EARTH DOG

Next year (2018) is the Year of the Earth Dog. CNY is observed on FEB 16 2018.

A good meal. (AP/Wong Maye-E)

PERSPECTIVE
    IF YOU THINK THANKSGIVING IS STRESSFUL, YOU SHOULD TRY CHINESE NEW YEAR
    By Youyou Zhou November 23, 2017
    I spent the first 20 years of my life in China. Holidays in America always remind me of the ones I had there. Fourth of July is equivalent to October First as a day to celebrate the founding of the nation. Memorial Day is similar to Qing Ming, a day to remember the deceased. Qi Xi is the Chinese Valentine’s Day.

The closest Chinese holiday I can think of that’s like Thanksgiving, is the Lunar (Chinese) New Year. Families and relatives get together, cook a big meal, and express gratitude for the past year and best hopes for the future. And while both holidays are about family get-togethers, Chinese New Year is way more intense.

TRAVELING HOME

Americans complain about booking airline tickets around Thanksgiving and coping with traffic jams. But it’s really no comparison to the crowds flooding major train stations around Lunar New Year. For workers who are tight on money, this is the only time of year that many visit their family. Last year Chinese travelers made 3 billion trips in the 40 days before and after the holiday.

For Americans, the busiest travel time of the year doesn’t even fall on the day before Thanksgiving—Americans travel more for summer vacations.

FAMILY CONVERSATIONS

The American saying is, absence makes the heart grow fonder. It’s joyful to think about reconnecting with the ones we miss and those who love us, until reality kicks in. Americans may be arguing about politics and religion this year, but for Chinese, there will be stressful confrontations over personal matters.

When are you getting married? What’s the plan on having kids? How about purchasing properties? How much did you make last year? Chinese relatives and families are not afraid of asking difficult questions, because they all love you.

THE BIG MEAL

In the US, the most searched question on Google related to Thanksgiving is “How to cook a turkey.” Over 80% of American millennials this year worry that their turkey might be over-cooked.

Well, that’s just turkey. For the family dinners I helped prepare with my parents and grandparents, fish, chicken, pork… they all have to be there. It typically involves days of preparation with the fresh ingredients to make steamed whole fish, rice cakes, egg dumplings symbolizing luck and prosperity, and it takes us several days to eat them all.

COMMONALITIES

When I look at every aspect of Thanksgiving that creates stress, I think about the same thing for Chinese New Year and know how it can be worse. But all these years, I’ve never ceased to love and miss Chinese New Year, the chaotic travel to finally arrive at home. I’ve waited hours in the airport because of weather delays; woken up early in the morning to hunt for fresh, expensive produce in local markets; and years later I no longer remember the arguments we all had. Time has turned them into understanding of the differences among us.

The holiday is stressful but it creates shared memories—good and bad—which is something both cultures have in common as we head back home to celebrate with our families.
    Thanksgiving versus CNY
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart