Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut Question

Blog Entries

Buk Sing Choy Lay Fut Question

Greetings. I've heard of Buk Sing's continuous Tsop Choy and I wanted to get a description of it. I'm also curious as to how similar it is to Wing Chun's continuous straight punch.

I think the main difference is that in Wing Chun the straight blast is aimied mainly for the face especially the nose, while the Buk Sing technique attacks different targets and area's i.e Throat, stomach, eyes etc one after the other giving the opponent a hard time blocking and trying to guess where the next one is aimed for.
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Blog Entries

Application of the technique?

Thanks Chaz.

Can you give me a description of the execution of the technique? For instance what stance transitions are used in the continuous tsop choy? Is it done only from a front stance? Or does the practitioner transition from a front to front stance in order to generate power? Also, when using the technique to strike to different targets does one still use the same weapon (i.e., a vertical fist)?

I know that these are a lot of technical questions but any info will be appreciated.

Askari Hodari

Choy Lee Fut has a wide range of stances, so when attacking with continuous Charp Choi's(Panther Fist) you tend to for example move from horse stance to bow and arrow stance to cat or kneeling stance and so on. It depends on the target.

There are three main variations of Charp Choi's in Choy Lee Fut, they are Ping Charp(Horizontal/Back of hand facing up) ideal target the throat and eyes, Yueng Charp(Thumb facing up) good targets sternum,solar plexus,ribs and groin and finaly you have Yum Charp(Thumb facing down) a kind of twisting Charp, good targets are the same as the Yueng version.

So when attacking with continious Charp Choi's you can use anyone of the above three in any order to any target. It is a great weapon to use once conditioned properly because of the small surface area of the striking point whuch does more piercing and internal damage and also because of its smaller shape it can slip thru small openings in your opponents guard.

Chaz,
    I had always thought that the ping chop was ideal for the ribs, as to seperate and crack ribs in a verticle motion and penetrate soft tissue. Whats your thoughts
    Arhat of Fury

I think what the question might be asking refers to the tau lau chop choy, which is seen in all branches of CLF but notably in buk sing.

It translates to stealing panther fist more or less and is two continous fast chop choy's done with the same hand usually yum chop then yeung chop or vice versa.

Peace.

P.S. Arhat actually yeung chop is often used on the ribs since the knuckles can slip in between the ribs. Some open the knuckles slightly in what is called geung gnar chop or ginger teeth panther fist.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 01-23-2004 at 07:28 PM.

Interesting, I have never heard it applied that way.

I associate a rib shot as in a sinking pak chop= deflecting oncomin punch while sinking and delivering a ping chop to the ribs.
    I can see how a tau lau chop would be effective shot to the ribs though, depending on how the opponent is lining up
    Arhat of Fury

Blog Entries
    This is really informative. Thanks.

Originally posted by CLFNole
    I think what the question might be asking refers to the tau lau chop choy
    Yeah, that's what I assumed he was referring to as well... quite different to WC punches. the yeaung chap, yum chap version is good when your yum chap meets a downwards block/grab... gotta be quick though.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Another aspect I forgot to add which Dave Lacey of Buk Sing fame is very adept at is the flying Charp Choi. i.e Yum Charp followed by Ping Charp and then the flying Charp(a good suprising manover if used wisely)

Blog Entries
    When I read about the continuous Tsop Choy I had imagined that it was a stream of center line punches (like in Wing Chun)...I had not considered that it was in fact an adaptive sequence using Tsop Choy, Yum Tsop, Ping, etc. In fact I hadn't though of using Ping in this context.

What exactly is a "flying Charp Choi"?
    Stop posting and start training.

I am not at liberty to talk about My Sifu's curriculum, but I can say that flying charp choi is very effective and deceptive if used correctly.
    Arhat of Fury

CLF does not use continuous punches in a straighline fashion like wing chun. CLF is quite very and utilizes a variety of angles through its attacks.

I saw from your profile you study CLF and wing chun is Sifu Sam Ng your sifu?

Peace.

Blog Entries
    Greetings CLFNole. No I don't study with the Ng Family. However, I study CLF one of their former students.

Oh I see. I know Ng Sifu, he is a real nice guy. I also met Phil once in Texas but I know he is now in Hong Kong doing well in the movie business.

If you learn from one of his students than you probably know that he doesn't do buk sing CLF. Ng Sifu's sifu was Do Hon Chueng who was a student of Fong Yuk Shu. Fong Yuk Shu was a student of Chan Koon Bak who was the founder, Chan Hueng's son.

Peace.