Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Light Gung Fu"

Sam:

Thanks for the info Sam, I knew about the Taxi Driver, but it was my understanding that he was only taught a little by a few of Lum's student's, not Lum himself. There's quite an interesting storie behind the Taxi driver. The other gentleman I didn't know, thank's again for sharing that info.

You're welcome. Keep up the good stories.

I accept what David says. Alot of high level kung fu was lost when the Shaolin temple burned down. Ask yourself this, the chinese were the first ot invesnt the parachute, why would they need a parachute if they didn't have aircraft. It must have to soften the landing of those that can jump 100s of feet up into the air.

The chinese were also the most advanced in science and medicine, however, they still relied on kung fu. why? It must be because in parallel to their scientific developement, they came across a form of bio-energy called chi. They were able to train iron body, iron crotch aw well as dim mak techniques. I've heard of accounts that masters were able to project their chi to disable their opponents.

However, it takes a life time to train to such a high level, which evcentually led to the down fall of the chinese when foreign invades came with mass number of troops armed with guns. The chinese didn't have a concept of what's known as mass production although they were able to produce high quality people in small quantity.

Hey Ego-

I am really the owner of the Golden Gate Bridge. My great granfather owned the land before San Fran. city decided to illegaly build their.

I am trying to sell it for a great bargain, are you interested?

It will only cost you............ummm.......how much you think it is worth?

"It must have to soften the landing of those that can jump 100s of feet up into the air.."

LOL! That comment has brightened up my day.

David - I will stop trying to alter your monist perception of the universe..was trying to make sure you are aware of how easy it is to make something appear possible that isn't, even if you witness levitation yourself. Personally, I don't think will power or thought can influence gravity in any way, nor do I believe in the antics of people like Richy Mooney.

Over and out.

Re:Chin Chung Cao

Hello! Would you mind sharing the story about Lum and the taxi
    driver?

Glimmer,

Youre right on the point that will power alone cannot counter gravity. However, chi is not just will power alone. It takes years of training, taking of the right herbal medicine that enables one to project their life force.

It is said that one shaolin monk is worth 1000 ordinary foot soldiers. You might think this is unbelievable but I would say extrodinairy. To "graduate" from the shaolin school of kung fu, they have to fight through 12 chambers of bronze men. In a sense, robotic opponents. chi (or energy based techniques) are about the only thing that could stop a charging robot.

Ego,

The chamber you had to pass depended on the style you trained in.

For instance the toad style had to lie in a bed of nails and bend metal.

The centipede style had to break wooden poles real fast.

Snake had to crawl on the ground while breaking wooden poles.

The lizard had to climb on walls and punch out candles.

Scorpion had to fly through the air kicking pots and breaking poles.

Smile

"..chi (or energy based techniques) are about the only thing that could stop a charging robot."

Lol! Ego, you are THE MAN.

I now have this fantastic anime style movie happening in my mind of shaolin monks being attacked by charging bronze robots..and the monks using only chi power to take out the intricate electronic circuits which power the robots. If only Disney would make this movie and have Steve Gutenburg as the lead monk.

10. Re: "Light Gung Fu"

Originally posted by Chin Chung Cao
    Is anyone here familer with or know anyone who still practice's this form of Gung Fu? What are your thought's on it? Fairy tale or reality?
    You might consider the articles linked below...

Mystical Kung Fu

Also, since the burning of the temple was mentioned, and possibly a loss of vital technique or training...

Riddle of Southern Shaolin

And finally, since Damo often comes up in this sort of discussion...

Damo: Conspiracy of Ignorance

From everything I can find, this sort of thing is a fairy tale.

Sincerely,
    CT

Smile

I kind of tried to say this on the Kung Fu board a while back, but it was misinterpreted, although I kind of was only slowly going there and didn't even really have a chance to elaborate. Or maybe it was because of that..

But I will take another chance here

Most people think of only fighting when they hear kung fu or martial arts. And they should, I agree. But when the measure of that is televized fighting - and mind you, I have great respect for those fighters and would not last a round with any of them - then something is missing.

People's perceptions of life in general are mostly based on their experiences. Experiences mold expectations. If one has been lucky enough - usually a lot of hard work is also required - then one has seen something that challenges one's perceptions and possibly even changes them.

I am a man of science and have always been and will always be very skeptical of anything I do not understand. I "believe" in logic. I also know the Chinese culture is full of tall tales (I actually like them as I find many of them very beautiful, however untrue they are).

But I was lucky once. What I saw wasn't exactly "light kung fu" as described here, but it was along the same lines. This was a closed door session, and what happened cannot be explained by science. It can be explained by other theories, of course. I cannot enclose any further details, but it was fighting related and very practical.

Supernatural is something we define by our perceptions. That should always be remembered. What was supernatural 1000 years ago, is common knowledge now. We, in 2004, are not the end of evolution and are not as smart as we could ever be. The buck does NOT stop here...

And I agree, although now I am entering muddy waters: it is quite possible these Masters of the Old are getting very scarce.

Mind is a like a parachute: it only works when opened...

Peace and love

Mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

12. Originally posted by Mika

But I was lucky once. What I saw wasn't exactly "light kung fu" as described here, but it was along the same lines. This was a closed door session, and what happened cannot be explained by science.
    Mika
    Mika,

It is interesting to hear a "man of science" say that something cannot be descibed by it. It has been my experience that anyone who says this fundamentally misunderstands science.

Science is a process of asking questions and trying to test the guessed-at answers. So, do you mean that you cannot even guess how it was done? Or perhaps what you mean is that current ideas about gravity, energy, mass, etc. are insuffecient to describe the event? In either case, an answer of "it can't be explained" is just poor scientific method.

Also, there are many things that science can't explain...because they are tricks. Science can't explain how Yuri Geller bends a spoon with his mind...because he doesn't. He does it with his hand.

In any case, I might suggest that if indeed this is unexplainable your closed door demonstrator might become quite rich. There is a Million Dollar Challenge that he could get quite easily by doing the demonstation again, albeit a bit more publically. What do you think? Will he try? Be sure to let us know!

Sincerely,
    CT

He won't try because he has too much integrity to display himself to someone who isn't going to be his student. Just like Lum Sang.

Especially, since he won't be paying his rent and food expenses as his students.

ctoepker,

At some point science would have to acdept certain things because it appears to make the world work. Taking aside meta-physical events, science does not explain the WHY? behind the speed of light, mass od electron, gravititional constant and the list goes on. These are just things that need to be plugged into the equations that calibrate them to the real world. As with chi based techniques, science can measure it's effect but it cannot explain the fundamental reasons behind chi, as it cannot do with electro magnitism, strong, weak or gravition forces in this universe.

Latest scientific thinking suggest there may be up to 16 dimensions which is required for quantum theory to hold true. It is possible that the chinese, through their incantations have opend a door way into some of these dimensions whereby the laws of physics behave quite differently. These dimensions are said to operate locally, which raises the possibility of people flying up 100 feet into the air, or "grounding" themselves on a wall.

The fact that the chinese advanced this far with their science throusands of years ago suggest that an arms race was taking place between what we understand as science and what we would consider "magic".

For instance, why would the chinese have developed the semi-automatic cross bow when you know from western medieval history that one shot is sufficient to stop a knight fully clad in armour at a great distance. It must be because the chinese had to hit a target that is incredibly agile and is armoured with something that is far stronger than iron. Nothing in those days besides kung fu practitioners seething in chi could achieve that. and we know there were renegade monks that conventionally trained government troops had to stop (or try too).

These government troops were not large in number, but nevertheless concerned the sharmanic priest of old. Thousands of years before, we know that they were able to channel chi from the earht's life force to give "life" to corpses thereby moving them from one location to the next. They applied the same technique can raised armies to the dead that routed the governments strongest divisions - the archers. The chinese archers had all manner of bows of different "caliber" so to speak - but they were no match against the undead.

This possibly led to the development of gun powder and a dilivery system that resembles the weapons used in the 21th century. Thousands of years into the future! I'm talking about rockets, surface to surface rockets to blow up the undead. The chinese replaced their archers with arrays of rocket batteries that rained terror down from the skies.

Ego,
    We can only knows "things" for their effects. That's why we affects our observations as Eisenberg stated.
    There are more than 16 dimensions in physics and math, you can find hiperplanes, or multi"uni"verses in theory, but it's not something like a sixth sense or a twilight zone or an unknown dimension.
    The fact that we don't have a unified field theory does not support metaphysics.