Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The time to hold back and the time destroy your opponent

If you really are doing that much @ 17, then look into powerlifting. With some training and experience you could be competitive.

My MA and my lifting coencide and I do anything that show my strengths in private.
    I thoguht about it but, it would break the rules i agreed to when beginning My fight sessions.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

I didn't read the thread, only the title. So excuse me if this is monotonous.

Crushing the Opponenet:
    I belive when ones life is threatened then it is time to consider more devestating moves. When there is a serious handicap (like 4 on 1) then it is time to start breaking arms and such. When you lose control of the fight it is time to start considering more dirty moves. When he has a knife (and I have to stress you must be trained with a live blade to be comfortable in this situation) it is time to seriously consider permanatly damaging the opponent or exstinguishing his life.

Handing him his ass:
    when the situation is under control and it is purely one on one with no weapons.

These are my views and don't reflect anyone else's.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Originally posted by Ironwind
    My MA and my lifting coencide and I do anything that show my strengths in private.
    I thoguht about it but, it would break the rules i agreed to when beginning My fight sessions.

competing breaks the rules of your training?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Toby
    With free weights? Impressive. More than me. My best so far is 314lbs x 5. Dunno about endurance reps, like 15-30x since that doesn't interest me. More than 7* too. He does 400lbs, dunno reps or what his 1RM is.

Last I checked, I was hitting 5 - 7 with 405. I usally do sets of 10 with 315, as I'm not interested in making my legs any bigger than they already are.

What style do you do them? E.g. powerlifting like me (wide stance, feet turned out, low bar, thighs to parallel)

that's how I do mine.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Sorry to bring you into this 7*. But you're the only one who posts amounts, plus you're the resident tough guy . Anyway, I'm done with this clown after his recent posts so I kinda regret trying to help him out .

yeah, that Tyson thing was pitiful...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

This is a hard question to answer. With training of Kung Fu (or any martial art) yields the power to defend yourself. With power comes responsibility. To track down bullies who have bullied you in the past and beat them into the ground and hospitalize them is an act of vengence. I can't speak for everyone, but it can be commonly assumed this is not advocated in kung fu training. Especially with a budhist outlook. Now you do not have to accept eastern philosophy to practice kung fu, however it is an added bonus of your training.

In the few encounters I have been in, I have avoided the situation completely. Your training should eventually yield a sense, that can detect violent situations occuring. I don't have to prove myself to anybody, and if some drunk at a bar fights me I don't want to beat him up for several reasons.

1) There really is no point to it.
    2) I don't want to be sued
    3) I don't want to go to jail, they can and will press charges on you.
    4) They could possibly be a better fighter or armed, and I dont want to end up dead or in the hospital.

Now, if someone mugs me they will get hit. If they come at me with a lethal weapon and there is a struggle I will end their life. I don't want to be stabbed or shot. Of course my fist reaction would be to give up my wallet no questions asked, but if it came down to it I would end them as soon as possible. When someone gets lethal with you, you can only assume the worst. You have no idea if you are going to survive a stab wound, or a gun shot. Plus I would prefer to be shot and/or stabbed zero times.

So when you learn devastating techniques it is your responsibility to control them, or you might suffer the consequences.

Originally posted by Gangsterfist
    With power comes responsibility.
    Nice . Like the Spiderman (actually Uncle Ben) quote. Best part of the movie. I believe it was also a recurring theme in the comics (from waaay back when I used to read them). Unfortunately I now think Ironwind was just a troll, so your post (while excellent) was wasted .

hey i was reading these posts and i came across the fact that you were supposed to fight some kid from waterbury who takes tang soo do. i think i know what school you are talking about because there is a big school in that area called cheezic tang soo do. they teach at my college and the pretty much suck(not bashing tang soo do because it is a good art, just that these people don't do it well). you said that you were afraid that you would lose the fight but if it is the school i am thinking of as long as you got the basics down and have a strong soul you would have won.

well about your post knowing when to stop in a fight i have some idea what you are feeling. i get really ****ed sometimes and feel that if i started something i would not stop. i have always stopped myself before i get into a fight but the thing is that you have to remember that the better man is the humble quiet guy that knows he may have the upper hand but decides not to fight. i have made some pretty good friends and gained a lot of respect from standing my ground but not fighting. when things are really going bad quick and you know you have to fight don't hold back, but if you are in a fight with some stupid guy give him just enough til he decides to stop.
    “memento te esse mortalum” translation - “remember you are mortal”

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    "How do you take yourself out of "fightmode"? "

Perhaps not switch for you to turn on or off. More like a gague or those meters for audio. They fluxuate with the intensity-ish. Get a readyness/anxious gague for threat. Mildly active when you are out and about. But canrapidly rise when you notice someone looking over your shoulder and you hear silence the shape of a person where there is at least slight noise. And your subconcious can provide input to this gague.

With a threat gague having your perceptions tied in, no worries of being Angry too long. Instead of turn on and forget to turn off, have a sensor and act/react more appropriately than making the situation to survive a guess--geuss there might be more; guess they mean to be mean, speculation. Merely aware of your awareness.-ish

"What I want to know is what is the key in having mercy for your opponent?"

If you ever thought later I wish I hadn't done that, or had regrets, then when you fight know that there's an after, an accounting. And A crippled person can be less employable. Know your neighborhood economics, If a person looses work does a family suffer. If you press the attack and they get lucky because you are ****y (arrogant/smug) do you getyr a limp for life? Forget about ever running again. Do you get an unsightly cut because something happened you didn't figure on?

Don't bet a hundred thousand pounds to chance a million pounds.

The idea was to get a lot of money, not the most. Greed breeds need. Risk your life, your parents need their child back, siblings need their brother, friends need their friend, Because you wanted to feel vent of hitting someone, beaten some more?

Consider Mercy as your saving Grace.

Whatever whatever, some might think.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

From years of training with classmates and friends, I worry about not being cruel enough ... I hold back a lot of strikes when I have good position and could deliever an unincumbered blow.

On the other hand, on the street you just start doing your thing. I think the issue -- not to sound Kung Fu-ish -- is inside of you. Do you have a lot of built up anger? Why?

This could also be a negative for you in fighting, making you choose agressive, though foolosh options; charging in mindlessly.

At the same time, don't put a premium on damage. Do what needs to be done to end the situation so you can walk or run away SAFELY.

To All

Yes Mike Tyson is slow and predictable (except for his ear biting) lol. Yes, Sevenstar my squat is 405 now 425. Stopping is a problem. I have had my match reset to sometome in the summer. Then I'll be 110%. But until then.
    Later.
    And Thanks for the feedback.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

could you take out tyson?

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Heh. Not by boxing him. Problem with boxers is that many of them know street fighting, too. If someone just boxed against my traditional kung fu, he'd learn the difference between sport and combat. There are, of course, plenty of sportsmen who could take me (old, average speed, short) but I'd have the advantage of fighting for real. Only rules I would obey in a fight are the laws of physics, and that's just because I don't know how to get around them

Someone asked my sifu once how many people he could beat up in a fight, and he said "Ten. If they're drunk enough."

Regarding "how far to go". Hand combat can lead to death. You shouldn't fight unless you are willing to die or kill. Suppose you respond to taunts with a palm to the face? Your taunter gets up with a broken nose, pulls the knife from his back pocket, and suddenly it's a fight to the death. Or you uproot and toss him backwards, and his head hits ths curb or corner of a table.

If he tried to mug you, these moves are justified, but not because he dissed you or "looked at you funny". Think of an off duty cop with a pistol in his pocket - when can he shoot people? That's when you can rightfully use your techniques. And when this cop has to shoot, he also has to stop shooting when he gains control of the situation - that is when we have to stop hitting or breaking.

Ironwind, a duel is not evil - your oponent enters into this willingly. But death or crippling injury can result. Do you trust him not to sue you if his knee breaks? Are you willing to go to jail if he is killed or hospitalized?

Sifu said "If you get into a fight and win, your nose will be bloody, your favorite shirt will be ripped, and you'll go to jail. If you do this unnecessarily, you are not doing good self-defense."
    The lyfe so short, the craft so long to lerne.
    - Chaucer