Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you noticed a problem in HK KF movies ?

My counting is off today!

That was THREE reasons!! (Laughter)

mickey

I knew that it originally meant China Hand, but I'm a bit confused... Okinawa isn't part of Japan?

Later...

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

When can matter, Nick...

" WAIT!! I know of Japan but "OKINAWA?!??" Okinawa is the southern most prefecture (or state) of Japan. Since, Okinawans have their own culture, language, and traditions which began eons ago (well around 1200/1300 A.D. and possibly earlier) when Okinawa was known as the Ryukyu Kingdom."-http://www.virtualginza.com/ (Bottom of page)

Okinawa WAS seperate, as in Not part of Japan. Okinawa currently seems to be part of Japan (Kyushu) Now.indicator of not part of Japan

To show it is now considered part of Japan Today~ When can matter.
    Administrative divisions; fourth under Government
    Last edited by No_Know; 01-25-2004 at 07:03 AM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Thanks for the links No_Know. Haven't seen some of those sites in years. Completely in "homesick" mode now though. hehe

Sadly Okinawan language (Uchinaguchi) seems to be dying- heard of a few small preservation efforts led by some dedicated folks, but time will tell if it's enough. Other aspects of the culture seem to be flourishing though (like eisa dance).

If you ever want to read up on some cool Trojan Horse kinda political intrigue and subterfuge, I suggest reading up on how the Japanese got Okinawa in the first place- nice little history lesson.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

in response to Mr. Ikken-somethingorother

Originally posted by Ikken Hisatsu
    you guys argue about the most moronic things. why on earth would they make a movie of kung fu vs ju jitsu? kung fu vs karate is far more entertaining. sure ju jitsu would be more effective I guess but ITS A BLOODY MOVIE not a real fight. honestly.

oh and whoever said that fist of legend sucked needs to die. painfully and slowly. "OMG HE IS BREAKING ROCKS..... HE STOLE FROM KUNG FU!?!?!?!?!" give it a rest you twat. I've no doubt that the japanese break rocks and push nails into boards as well. or maybe he DID "steal" it from the chinese because hes a dastardly bad guy?
    *checks own post, frowns, and nods*
    No, I didn't say he stole it from kung-Fu... and OMG definitely wasn't in there. I think it was YOU who said that. It's ok though, I'll assume it was one of your other personalities that posted that and let bygones be bygones.

my point, which I didn't wish to beat anyone over the head with, was that toward the end it seemed to objectify "Hard vs. Soft" with Jet Li's character seeming to symbolize the soft and "evil badly-dubbed Japanese general guy" the hard. Despite the fact that "Hard" Qigong was a part of China's MA repetoire for quite some time. Stealing anything from Chinese martial arts wasn't in there. If it were my point, I would have totally eschewed the already widely accepted, and hardly-up-for-debate fact that Karate is comprised of Chinese martial arts and Okinawan indigenous fighting techniques.

Peraps borrowing from your penchant for misquotation, that could probably have been said as "OMG Y TEH JANAPESE SI USIN GKUNGFU!!!???LOLOLOLOLOL" or something like that.

Oh... and as for Fist of Legend being a bad movie, I remember saying "I LOST" not "THIS MOVEI R TEH SuX0RZ", and even if I had, that's my opinion. Perhaps this opinion was shaped by the fact that the dub was casted by a bunch of horribly untalented voice actors whose bitterness over not being real actors shows through in every line of dialogue. And maybe the idiotic "fast-forward" during certain fight scenes was part of the dub and not the original, or else, you were able to tolerate it. Congratulations, I'm happy for you. I have to admit the fight against Funakoshi was really good. And the scenes where Chen Zheng trains the guys at Jing Wu were good. The others were too overdone with too many clipped camera angles. And the fast-forward effect during some of those fight scenes gave it a sort of "Little Rascals" feel, which I just didn't like.

By the way, just so you don't have to misquote me on THIS post also, there's a handy button that will appear under it. It's called the "quote" button. You can click that to quote portions of this post, and use it in reply!

I'm just here to help
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

How different is their language? Or is it merely a dialect?

Later...

Completely different, with different grammar... these days tho, for most young Okinawans it's some slang words mixed in with their Japanese vernacular. Mainlanders will try to tell you it's just a dialect.

So it is kind of getting forcibly wiped out.

But like I said there are some folks trying to preserve it as a full language.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries

Same story end-ish; different video.

Secret Master, The Brooklyn or Bronx Zoo collection. Might be Wu Tang (clan) collection. Honor of their respective countries start of the Chin Woo Association.

Japanese versus Chinese, Deul to the Death--a sword movie.The two countries have their best swords people fight for an honor that the countries use to claim superiority of a time.

Japanese versus Chinese Shaolin versus Ninja-Run Run Shaw. A comparisons of Japanese styles and weapons to Chinese, mostly weapons , fit nicely into the story/as part of the story.
    Last edited by No_Know; 01-27-2004 at 09:36 AM.
    There are four lights...¼ impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

Shaolin versus Ninja... Bit dated now, but a good movie